Thread: Coming To A Living Room Near You...the OLED TV

1. #1 Coming To A Living Room Near You...the OLED TV 
    COMING TO A LIVING ROOM NEAR YOU...THE OLED TV

Tuesday May 26,2009
    By Sara Dixon

A NEW revolution in television technology is poised to take over the nation’s living rooms after scientists developed a high-definition screen just a few millimetres thick.

Industry pundits predict sales of Organic Light-Emitting Diodes screens – or Oleds – will overtake other flat screen models as consumers rush to snap up the first large-screen models when they go on sale at the end of the year.

In 2007 large Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) televisions overtook the sales of traditional cathode-ray sets for the first time.

Now Oled screens are set to be the next stage in the evolution of High Definition (HD) television.

Images are created using organic pixels which radiate light of different colours on command, meaning Oled screens do not need a backlight, unlike LCD models.

This means they use 40 per cent less energy while having a significantly-sharper picture.

LCD displays have a contrast ratio of 30,000 to one but the new Oled screens have a ratio of a million to one.

Virtually indestructible, an Oled screen is so flexible it can be rolled into a tube and it is very lightweight.

Earlier this year the 11-inch Sony Bravia XEL went on sale for £3,489. Panasonic are predicted to launch a 40-inch Oled model next year and Apple is creating a 15-inch notebook using Oled technology.

Sony is expected to launch a large Oled television at the end of 2009 priced at £5,000.

The cost of the new technology is expected to come down by 2012 in time for the Olympics and the FIFA World Cup, which usually spark a wave of television buying.

Jim Clark, senior technology analyst at Mintel, said: “Experts think it will be the dominant television technology by 2012. It is going to be like getting on to the HD ladder.”
    Very cool!

Daily Express

I did some searches on Youtube and found a vid from CES 2009 where an 11" OLED TV was demoed that was .9mm thick. A TV less than 1mm thick!!! WOW!
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Power CUer
    I'd probably be impressed if I'd ever learned the metric system! :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    What is that, about as thick as a credit card!? It wouldn't last 5 minutes with me!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

0.035433 inches

Power CUer
    I'm not great with decimals, either. The only numbers I thoroughly understand have "$" in front of them. I assume it's skinny. So what? Does it matter how skinny a TV is?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    0.035433 inches
    Okay, maybe it would last a while even with me!

Virtually indestructible, an Oled screen is so flexible it can be rolled into a tube and it is very lightweight

Wonder how you plug things into it!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I'm not great with decimals, either. The only numbers I thoroughly understand have "$" in front of them. I assume it's skinny. So what? Does it matter how skinny a TV is?
    The thickness could be as thin as ten sheets of paper which matters little to me either. What is impressive is the ability to show detail in colors which is much higher than anything we have now. The energy usage is much lower also.

I have read about future application for this technology. If it can be created cheap enough it would replace paint and wall paper in your out and you could change a room color with a remote control. Also you could display a tv screen any where on the wall with sizes up to the high and with of the wall. It could function a signs in stores where they could change ads based with a flip of a switch. The ads could even be customized to change when you get near them and display ads based on what you are carrying or is in your cart.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis