1. #1 Levi's uses White 'Marriage Knot' To Annoy Customers. 
    Levi's bold stance hits the mark
    May 29, 2009 Print Email Reprint Permissions Font Size: A | A | A

Levi's recently took a bold step and visibly aligned its brand with those that support gay marriage rights. In company-owned stores across the country, it affixed to its mannequins the white knots that those in California and elsewhere are brandishing in rejection of a voter-approved amendment that defines marriage solely as a union between a woman and a man. The state's Supreme Court decided earlier this week to uphold that amendment.

The jeans maker no doubt realizes that it risks alienating some consumers, but this is not the first time it has sought to align its name with a social cause. In the early 1990s it launched “Project Change” to address racism; became the first Fortune 500 company to provide domestic partnership health benefits; and stopped funding the Boy Scouts following the group's firing of a gay scout leader. The company's headquarters sit in San Francisco, home to arguably the country's strongest gay community, and more recently it has sponsored MTV Networks' gay cable channel, Logo, as well as thrown its support behind the anti-Prop 8 movement last year. Earlier this week, the company donated thousands of dollars to The National Center for Lesbian Rights and The San Francisco LGBT Community Center.

So while the white knots don't represent a huge stretch for Levi's, the move sets the company apart from the competition. In taking such a stand, Levi's marks itself as an activist brand, but one that is smartly looking to build upon a movement that it sees as worthwhile and energetic. Instead of just selling to a community, it is becoming part of a community, and therein lies the key.

(snip)

Study after study has shown that today's consumer is demanding more of corporate America, and more from the brands for which they're shelling out their hard-earned recession dollars. That “more” sometimes means less packaging on a laundry detergent bottle to align with sustainability, or a portion of proceeds from dog food going to a local animal shelter, but sometimes it requires an even more courageous step. Levi's could have simply watched this fight go by, while still producing some advertising targeted at a gay demographic – but it didn't. Instead it sparked a conversation that will show it as a thoughtful and conscientious brand, rather than one looking for a quick ploy to endear it with a desirable customer base.

Rather than plastering its store with signage on the initiative, Levi's briefed its store managers and employees on the meaning behind the subtle white knots adorning its mannequins. The point, Archambault told the Times, was to allow the sales staff to “have an informed conversation [with customers] that's more interactive than reading off a card.” That show of solidarity with a community will keep the 156-year-old brand relevant today.
    This is exactly what I want in a shopping experience: a pimply store clerk earnestly trying to raise my consciousness as I attempt to buy merchandise.

PR Week

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is exactly what I want in a shopping experience: a pimply store clerk earnestly trying to raise my consciousness as I attempt to buy merchandise.

PR Week
    I don't buy Levi's so I have no way to perform my own DU style protest by boycotting them. I guess I have to continue to not waste my money on them anonymously.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I stopped buying Levi's when they went to China to be manufactured.. Check your tags.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!