Thread: What is evil?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 What is evil? 
    I've been thinking about evil and the nature of evil. Is it real? If it is real then what is it? Where does it come from? What is it's purpose? I know that there are no single answers to these questions, but I would like for anyone who is interested let the rest of us know what you think. I don't want people used as examples like "Hitler was evil" or "Stalin was the worse". Just let me know if you think it exists, what is it... that type of stuff. A kind of what is your philosophy of the nature of evil. Let's not try to argue but debate might be interesting. I may catalog peoples answer's and add it to some research I'm accumulating if that is ok.

Peace,
    FG

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I live in a black and white world. Evil is the opposite of good and good is what God says is good.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Good topic.

My first question would be, is evil the mere absence of something (God, the Good, Light, etc) or the actual presence of something malevolent, i.e., a darkness that exists independently from humanity?

I guess it depends on one's notion of the existence of a spiritual world within or alongside the physical world.

What I mean is, one's view of evil will be related to one's view of good. One's view of Satan would depend on one's view of God.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I have nothing significant to add. This thread just made me think of one of my favorite movie moments. In True Romance, Christopher Walken's character says " I'm the Anti- Christ. you got me in a vendetta kind of mood. You'll tell the angels in heaven that you had never seen evil so singularly personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you". Or something like that.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I've been thinking about evil and the nature of evil. Is it real? If it is real then what is it? Where does it come from? What is it's purpose? I know that there are no single answers to these questions, but I would like for anyone who is interested let the rest of us know what you think. I don't want people used as examples like "Hitler was evil" or "Stalin was the worse". Just let me know if you think it exists, what is it... that type of stuff. A kind of what is your philosophy of the nature of evil. Let's not try to argue but debate might be interesting. I may catalog peoples answer's and add it to some research I'm accumulating if that is ok.

Peace,
    FG

Is this going to be and examination of Calvinistic theology against the mainstream Christian kind ?To me evil is that which is against the will of GOD.The lord GOD being perfect and it follows that his will is also perfect so those things that are against his will are evil.

I further believe that the 'Great debate between GOD and some of his Angels' was concerning his creation of mankind a 'Little less than the Angels' and endowing us with free will .That was the original evil that led to the great expulsion from heaven of the demon and its followers.

Scripture tells us that Sarah told Abraham to take Hagar as his concubine to beget a son.That was evil on Sarah's part .And we are and will be suffering it to this day and beyond.

Moses also went beyond Gods instructions on a few occasions first casting the stone tablets to the ground after his decent with the law and as a result was forbidden from entering the promised land.

King David's obedience and enthusiasm of GOD'S will was impressive in his youth but as he grew older he sinned against his GOD and was punished and forgiven his young sons life was forfeit .

King Solomon was granted great wisdom by GOD only in later life to sin against GOD by allowing his foreign wives to corrupt Gods temple with false heathen Deity's .His Kingdom was cut short and his genes,the fruits of his loins, scattered, his rebellious sons life forfeit ..
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-02-2009 at 09:15 PM.

Calvin? Meh.....

I'll quote from the sacred texts of the Church of Rock 'n' Roll.....

All lies and jest, still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Simon and Garfunkel, The Boxer

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Calvin? Meh.....

I'll quote from the sacred texts of the Church of Rock 'n' Roll.....

All lies and jest, still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Simon and Garfunkel, The Boxer
    Shallow sir,very shallow !Do you believe in Rock and Roll and Would you stake your immortal soul on music if the bible told you so ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Shallow sir,very shallow !Do you believe in Rock and Roll and Would you stake your immortal soul on music if the bible told you so ?
    If the Bible told me so......???

Well...yes.....wouldn't you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

Is this going to be and examination of Calvinistic theology against the mainstream Christian kind ?To me evil is that which is against the will of GOD.The lord GOD being perfect and it follows that his will is also perfect so those things that are against his will are evil.

I further believe that the 'Great debate between GOD and some of his Angels' was concerning his creation of mankind a 'Little less than the Angels' and endowing us with free will .That was the original evil that led to the great expulsion from heaven of the demon and its followers.

Scripture tells us that Sarah told Abraham to take Hagar as his concubine to beget a son.That was evil on Sarah's part .And we are and will be suffering it to this day and beyond.

Moses also went beyond Gods instructions on a few occasions first casting the stone tablets to the ground after his decent with the law and as a result was forbidden from entering the promised land.

King David's obedience and enthusiasm of GOD'S will was impressive in his youth but as he grew older he sinned against his GOD and was punished and forgiven his young sons life was forfeit .

King Solomon was granted great wisdom by GOD only in later life to sin against GOD by allowing his foreign wives to corrupt Gods temple with false heathen Deity's .His Kingdom was cut short and his genes,the fruits of his loins, scattered, his rebellious sons life forfeit ..
    I want to know what you think it is, not what others tell you it is. There will be no test and there is no right or wrong answer. I just want to know what you think the nature of evil is. If you think it serves a purpose then what is it?. What causes it? Are people basically evil or good? Stuff like that.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It is legitimate to ask us what we think about evil so.....

I think that there is a dangerous human tendency to define as evil that with which we already disagree, and to accept a definition of evil which confirms our own preconcieved prejudices.

a man he hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Any manifestation of evil beyond that needs nothing supernatural to cause horrendous damage, merely human ingenuity.