Thread: "One Of The Biggest Muslim Countries" Remark Backfires.

1. #1 "One Of The Biggest Muslim Countries" Remark Backfires. 
    Obama's Muslim comment sparks debate
    By Joseph Weber (Contact) | Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Obama's assertion that the United States is one of the world's biggest Muslim countries has sparked debate about the comment's accuracy and how far the president will extend himself to the Muslim world.

"If you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world," the president told French television station Canal Plus on Monday, the eve of his five-day, overseas trip with stops in Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Michael Rubin, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, said the statement is incorrect and using such language is a "dangerous gambit."

"All politicians pander. Obama is raising it to a global level," he said. "First of all, it's false: Even if you take the inflated numbers that Islamic advocacy organizations claim, Muslims are a tiny, tiny minority in the United States.

"Obama should also not fall into the extremists trap of using Muslim as a unitary adjective. There is no more a Muslim world than a Christian world. However, there are lots of different Muslims and Christians in the world and countries. This isn't to be politically correct, but we shouldn't concede to adapt the parameters of the Middle Eastern political debate."

The U.S. government does not count populations by religion, but several unofficial estimates put the Muslim-American population at roughly 5 million, which would rank the U.S. about 35th among 150 countries with Muslim populations.

"I think the statement was really an effort to hold up the Muslin-American nation in which Islam and Democracy are not incompatible, Islam and prosperity are not incompatible," said Steve Grand, a Brookings fellow and director of the group's Project on U.S. Relations with the Islamic World.

He also said Muslims in the United States are slightly more educated and have more money than the rest of the population so "the clash does not really fit the reality in the U.S."

Mr. Grand acknowledged the population number is hard to pin down but said the estimate of 2 to 6 million Muslims in the U.S. is near the number in Jordan.

Jim Phillips, a Heritage Foundation senior research fellow for Middle Eastern Affairs, said he was surprised by Mr. Obama's comment because America only has about 3 to 5 million Muslims.
    I thought this was a boneheaded remark yesterday. Not only is it factually untrue but it comes on the heels of his fervid assurance that the U.S. is definitely not a Christian country. Well, if we aren't a Christian country in terms of religion, culture, or heritage we sure as heck aren't a Muslim country using any parameter.

Washington Times

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I thought this was a boneheaded remark yesterday. Not only is it factually untrue but it comes on the heels of his fervid assurance that the U.S. is definitely not a Christian country. Well, if we aren't a Christian country in terms of religion, culture, or heritage we sure as heck aren't a Muslim country using any parameter.

Washington Times
    Just wait until Obama is done with us...

But I agree, after his "We are not a Christian nation" comment, this was doubly stupid to say "We are a Muslim nation".
    The problem in the next four years will be not just that the president of the United States serially does not tell the truth. Instead, the real crisis in our brave new relativist world will be that those who demonstrate that he is untruthful will themselves be accused of lying. - Victor Davis Hanson

Here's to being LAST in terms of Muslim population! I can dream, can't I.....

Obama credited Muslims for helping shape who we are as a country.. And just how would that be, except for being responsible for us being about 4000 citizens lighter and having fewer freedoms.. Yeah, I guess they have helped shape America........All that in just the past two decades...

I'm so sick of him kissing the collective ass of the Muslims and lying about how we feel about them to the rest of the world... We do NOT want better relations with Muslims.. Our cultures are absolutely incompatible. This is one instance where self-segregation would be a good thing. They have nothing to offer America at all!!
    Last edited by stsinner; 06-04-2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!