Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 My Computer woes... 
    There doesn't seem to be a whiny thread anymore, so I am going to whine here. Want to hear a long and sad story about my toubles with computers? No? Too bad.

Back during the other CU, I posted about my computer messing up. That was just the start of it.

My computer gets its mother board fried. My brother gave me his old computer. Over 1000 viruses on it caused it to crash. So I order a new computer. Netzero screwed somehow and I had to cancel with them. I got the new computer. No internet. I get a new connection with ATT. The DAY BEFORE it was about to be activated this new computer breaks down. Well, it wasn't "new," which is my problem. That tells you not to order cheap computers off of eBay. So I cancelled ATT. Now finally I have a NEW computer and Road Runner internet. This all took place in a 9 month period.

Lets just hope nothing goes wrong now...

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a whiny thread anymore, so I am going to whine here. Want to hear a long and sad story about my toubles with computers? No? Too bad.

Back during the other CU, I posted about my computer messing up. That was just the start of it.

My computer gets its mother board fried. My brother gave me his old computer. Over 1000 viruses on it caused it to crash. So I order a new computer. Netzero screwed somehow and I had to cancel with them. I got the new computer. No internet. I get a new connection with ATT. The DAY BEFORE it was about to be activated this new computer breaks down. Well, it wasn't "new," which is my problem. That tells you not to order cheap computers off of eBay. So I cancelled ATT. Now finally I have a NEW computer and Road Runner internet. This all took place in a 9 month period.

Put up a shrine to the great god of Megabits and light some candles !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The first Pentium I ever bought was the 133. That was so many years ago, I can't even remember when it was. At any rate, I had that box until about a year ago. It hadn't been powered up in years but over the years I've needed a place to store my dust collection and the 133 was just the computer to do it. :D
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Lets all send Dyne some healing white 1's and 0's.

Vista Home Premium will run nicely on a gig of RAM. If you install the New MS Office Ultimate, better have 2G ram. If you want it to open in a reasonable time, better go for 3G Ram. Or, be smart and go for free OpenOffice and save a few bucks on that third ram chip.
    The poster formerly known as chuck58 on the old board.

Patent Member
    My computer gets its mother board fried.
    You should have just replaced the motherboard.

Of course, not having internet access I suppose that would have been a difficult question to ask.

Oh well, glad to hear everything is back and working!

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    You should have just replaced the motherboard.

Of course, not having internet access I suppose that would have been a difficult question to ask.

Oh well, glad to hear everything is back and working!
    I would have. I shopped around. The cheapest motherboard (since I had to use a gateway one) was $250 and the cheapest labor was $250, so I thought I might as well just by a brand new one since that one wasn't that great anyway.

I have road runner but free AOL. several mons back modem stopped working. TWC say ethernet bad in PC. HP tech support agrees. mothereferboard bad !!!! pack up send to service. 8 days get it back. ethernet problem fixed but processor cooling runs a high speed. restart everything fine. few days later power to home goes off. when back on fan runs again. WTF??? HP say box up send back. ^^^%%$# but I noticed the time in systray was off by hours. check clock settings default back to year 2000!!!! aha......
    Q what backs up clock during power failue????
    A back up or cmos battery. they forgot to put one in. everything so far cool. sh** happens????
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Build your own. It's not hard, you get the parts you want and with tech support being crap at most vendors, there's no upside to buying "their" box.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Build your own. It's not hard, you get the parts you want and with tech support being crap at most vendors, there's no upside to buying "their" box.
    Except Vista costs $200, and I recently bought a new computer for $400.

There's no way I could have put a decent system together for $200.

Now my old scratch built computer is doing service as a Linux server tho. :D

My wife was less than enthusiastic about that.