Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Jesus and His Siblings 
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You need to go to the web page and read entire article.
    I knew Jesus had siblings, my question was about Joseph being much older - something never mentioned in the Bible, and having children from a previous marriage, also something I've never seen mentioned. I wondered if FlaGator had actual Scripture references.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    I knew Jesus had siblings, my question was about Joseph being much older - something never mentioned in the Bible, and having children from a previous marriage, also something I've never seen mentioned. I wondered if FlaGator had actual Scripture references.
    I don't think he does. There have been a lot of assumptions made about that in theological circles for years. I personaly have never put to much weight in those theories. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. I am self taught so don't put to much weight in what I say. I am not qualified to critique anyone.

I don't think he does. There have been a lot of assumptions made about that in theological circles for years. I personaly have never put to much weight in those theories. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway. I am self taught so don't put to much weight in what I say. I am not qualified to critique anyone.
    Well, we'll see if he does. :)
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

The Gospel says nothing on the age of Joseph other to imply that he had children before Jesus was born. It was common in Hebrew custom for men to marry only after they established themselves financially. For a carpenter this might take a while. Matthew 13:55 references Jesus having 4 brothers and some sisters. Some or all of these must have been prior to Jesus' birth. There are some of the Apocryphal gospels that mention Jesus having 6 siblins, 4 brothers and 2 sisters. I believe in the Protoevangelium (an Apocryphal Book) it states that Joseph was 49 when he was married to Mary. He was married at 40 to another woman, they had 6 children and then she died. One year later Joseph married Mary.

I have to take the Apocryphal gospels with a grain of salt, but I don't see any obvious reason to doubt the above account in that it does not violate any Hebrew customs nor were these relationships looked down on in other cultures of the time. I thought that Joseph would have been maybe 10 years younger than this, but the ages cited are within the realm of possibility.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    The Gospel says nothing on the age of Joseph other to imply that he had children before Jesus was born. It was common in Hebrew custom for men to marry only after they established themselves financially. For a carpenter this might take a while. Matthew 13:55 references Jesus having 4 brothers and some sisters. Some or all of these must have been prior to Jesus' birth. There are some of the Apocryphal gospels that mention Jesus having 6 siblins, 4 brothers and 2 sisters. I believe in the Protoevangelium (an Apocryphal Book) it states that Joseph was 49 when he was married to Mary. He was married at 40 to another woman, they had 6 children and then she died. One year later Joseph married Mary.

I have to take the Apocryphal gospels with a grain of salt, but I don't see any obvious reason to doubt the above account in that it does not violate any Hebrew customs nor were these relationships looked down on in other cultures of the time. I thought that Joseph would have been maybe 10 years younger than this, but the ages cited are within the realm of possibility.
    Exactly WHY would some or all of these have to be born before Jesus? Scripture mentions only Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem; only Mary, Joseph and Jesus going to Egypt. Unless you just assume that Joseph abandoned his older children, it seems most possible that Jesus' siblings were all born after Him, to Mary and Joseph.
    -
    -
    -

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Exactly WHY would some or all of these have to be born before Jesus? Scripture mentions only Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem; only Mary, Joseph and Jesus going to Egypt. Unless you just assume that Joseph abandoned his older children, it seems most possible that Jesus' siblings were all born after Him, to Mary and Joseph.
    Try that theory on a Catholic. :-)
    Last edited by FlaGator; 06-06-2009 at 12:33 AM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Moderate Commie Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Try that theory on a Catholic. :-)
    I'll step halfway in the pond here and say that of the half dozen priests I've had theological discussions and classes with/from, the three that even deign to discuss the subject all are of the opinion that they were from a prior marriage. The other three wouldn't even discuss the apocryphal literature.

Yes, I am Catholic. Please don't make me regret posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by thinker View Post
    I'll step halfway in the pond here and say that of the half dozen priests I've had theological discussions and classes with/from, the three that even deign to discuss the subject all are of the opinion that they were from a prior marriage. The other three wouldn't even discuss the apocryphal literature.

Yes, I am Catholic. Please don't make me regret posting this.
    I have catholic relatives. To me there is a lot of good in the catholic church. I just can't get past the doctrine of Mary( St. Thomas Aquinas) and also the hot waiting room before you get to heaven.

Moderate Commie Lib
    I have catholic relatives. To me there is a lot of good in the catholic church. I just can't get past the doctrine of Mary( St. Thomas Aquinas) and also the hot waiting room before you get to heaven.
    There's a lot of different interpretations of purgatory. I know I for one am headed there if I even have a shot at the pearly gates. Mary is *very* misinterpreted - trust me, my wife was a Southern Baptist, and her entire family still is. Not to mention that I lived in the backyard of the capital of the bible belt for years.

Quote Originally Posted by thinker View Post
    There's a lot of different interpretations of purgatory. I know I for one am headed there if I even have a shot at the pearly gates. Mary is *very* misinterpreted - trust me, my wife was a Southern Baptist, and her entire family still is. Not to mention that I lived in the backyard of the capital of the bible belt for years.
    I'm in the tulsa area if that is where you are talking about. It is the charismatic capital of the world.