1. #1 Why Solar Power Fails... 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    A big solar array, but little savings

This story points out a few things about the mistakes the rancher made
    and about FPL and current laws. Until things get fixed...

By Zac Anderson

A Sarasota County rancher and environmentalist spent $500,000 for one of the largest private solar projects in Florida, expecting big savings on energy costs while setting an example for others to follow.

But instead of cutting her monthly energy bills from roughly $5,000 to $1,000, Mary Clark's 300-panel solar array has saved little. Florida Power & Light buys the excess energy from Clark's ranch and sells it back to her for twice as much.

Though legal, the charges reveal flaws in a new state law designed to promote solar power by reimbursing private producers for their excess energy.

Clark's experience underscores the influence big utilities wield in Florida, as the state moves tentatively to diversify from fossil fuels into more renewable energy sources.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Seems to me the investor failed to perform any due diligence. If I'm going to invest 500K, you bet I'm going to invest a few thousand in an attorney.

Another issue, these solar pioneers think thet have a right to FPL's transmission line free of charge?

Why did they not route all the power to the ranch first??

Let's make an analogy:

I build a refinery and sell the excess gas to Exxon, then I bitch and moan when I have buy gas at thestation and pay the list price.

Eventhough the person may be a power generator, it does not entitle them to purchase at wholesale rates.
    Last edited by Nubs; 06-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.

She screwed herself, that's for sure. Beyond that, I wonder if she has figured in the maintenance for this type of system. We have a lot of them out here because of the 300+ days of sunshine but they are hardly maintenance-free.

ha ha! Dumb ass eco-weenie got burnt.

Of course - now the rest of us will have to pay the price for this mistake . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    She screwed herself, that's for sure. Beyond that, I wonder if she has figured in the maintenance for this type of system. We have a lot of them out here because of the 300+ days of sunshine but they are hardly maintenance-free.
    The Windex alone must cost a fortune.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    The Windex alone must cost a fortune.
    Actually, cleaning is necessary in some parts of the U.S. Dust film cuts down on the already lousy efficiency. This is a job for both summer and winter since snow traps dust and leaves a thin layer of mud on them.