Thread: Obama invokes Jesus more than Bush

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Obama invokes Jesus more than Bush 
    This must really upset the spiritually bankrupt on DU.

He’s done it while talking about abortion and the Middle East, even the economy. The references serve at once as an affirmation of his faith and a rebuke against a rumor that persists for some to this day.

As president, Barack Obama has mentioned Jesus Christ in a number of high-profile public speeches — something his predecessor George W. Bush rarely did in such settings, even though Bush’s Christian faith was at the core of his political identity.

In his speech Thursday in Cairo, Obama told the crowd that he is a Christian and mentioned the Islamic story of Isra, in which Moses, Jesus and Mohammed joined in prayer.

At the University of Notre Dame on May 17, Obama talked about the good works he’d seen done by Christian community groups in Chicago. “I found myself drawn — not just to work with the church but to be in the church,” Obama said. “It was through this service that I was brought to Christ.”

And a month before that, Obama mentioned Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount at Georgetown University to make the case for his economic policies. Obama retold the story of two men, one who built his house on a pile of sand and the other who built his on a rock: “We cannot rebuild this economy on the same pile of sand,” Obama said. “We must build our house upon a rock.”

More than four months into the Obama presidency, a picture is emerging of a chief executive who is comfortable with public displays of his religion — although he has also paid tribute to other faiths and those he called “nonbelievers” during his inaugural address.

Obama’s invocation of the Christian Messiah is more overt than Americans heard in the public rhetoric of Bush in his time in the White House — even though Bush’s victories were powered in part by evangelical voters.

“I don’t recall a single example of Bush as president ever saying, ‘Jesus’ or ‘Christ,’” said Tony Perkins, president of the conservative Christian group Family Research Council. “This is different.”
    The whole story is here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This must really upset the spiritually bankrupt on DU.

The whole story is here
    I don't see them so much as bankrupt but as scattered and confused!

Waiting for Wilbur....

Obama's references to Christ don't matter in the same way as a conservative's would because Obama is not perceived as a genuine believer. He's just used Christianity as a networking and image tool.

Now, the man may be utterly devout privately but that's his public Christian image: a poser.

None of his followers believe that he would actually make any decision based on Judeo-Christian principles so his references are empty and without moral implications.

Do they count every time he uses the word I?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Obama's references to Christ don't matter in the same way as a conservative's would because Obama is not perceived as a genuine believer. He's just used Christianity as a networking and image tool.

Now, the man may be utterly devout privately but that's his public Christian image: a poser.

None of his followers believe that he would actually make any decision based on Judeo-Christian principles so his references are empty and without moral implications.
    Bingo.

Bush's religious belief was troublesome, simply because it appeared genuine.

Moderate Commie Lib
    Are you saying it was troublesome to you, or troublesome in the general sense? o.O
    You determine how the conversation goes. Keep it clean, and you'll get nothing but honest discussion. Start flaming, and it's party time. :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thinker View Post
    Are you saying it was troublesome to you, or troublesome in the general sense? o.O
    In general, the more it looks like someone actually relies on religious belief/philosophy to make real world decisions, the more troubling it is... especially so for the highest office in the land.

Perhaps even more troubling is the fact that presidents, whether they are religious or not, have to pretend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Bingo.
    Bush's religious belief was troublesome, simply because it appeared genuine.
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    In general, the more it looks like someone actually relies on religious belief/philosophy to make real world decisions, the more troubling it is... especially so for the highest office in the land.
    Perhaps even more troubling is the fact that presidents, whether they are religious or not, have to pretend to be.
    Okay, so let me get this straight: It's better if the president is a hypocrite who lies about belief in religion for political gain, rather than for him to be a believer who is motivated by a genuine commitment to his faith?

Here's why this is wrong. Regardless of the nature of a president's beliefs, a president who routinely lies about them cannot be believed on anything. If he claims that the economy is improving, can you trust him? If he promises a clean administration without lobbyists, then reverses himself and fills his cabinet and sub-cabinet positions with tax cheats, lobbyists and radicals, what is his word worth? Can you believe his promise that he will return GM and Chrysler to the private sector when (if) they are solvent? Can you look at the pattern of dealership closings that he directed and assume that the preponderence of closures in Red states, especially among those dealers who gave money to his political opponents, was motivated by economic need rather than a corrupt decision to take the opportunity to reward his cronies and attack his opposition? Will his health care reform accomplish what he says that it will, and if not, does he have another agenda? What will he do when his ambitions butt up against the Constitution? Is your property, your job, your very life and the lives of your family safe in his hands?

The United States has one ultimate check on the power of our government, and that is the Constitution, which defines its powers and forbids it to act beyond them, but that document is dependent on the honor and integrity of those who must execute the duties that it defines. Without that integrity, the Constitution might as well be printed in perforated rolls of soft, absorbent sheets.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Okay, so let me get this straight: It's better if the president is a hypocrite who lies about belief in religion for political gain, rather than for him to be a believer who is motivated by a genuine commitment to his faith?
    Its not ideal... but its all reality will allow for at the moment. Surrendering the highest office in the land to nothing but those 'with a commitment to faith' is the worst of the options.

A commitment to faith is one of the greatest of character flaws a president can have.