Thread: The Cow Fart Tax

1. #1 The Cow Fart Tax 
    Here it comes; The Cow Fart Tax

Proposed fee on smelly cows, hogs angers farmers
    MONTGOMERY, Ala. – For farmers, this stinks: Belching and gaseous cows and hogs could start costing them money if a federal proposal to charge fees for air-polluting animals becomes law.

Farmers so far are turning their noses up at the notion, which is one of several put forward by the Environmental Protection Agency after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2007 that greenhouse gases emitted by belching and flatulence amounts to air pollution.

"This is one of the most ridiculous things the federal government has tried to do," said Alabama Agriculture Commissioner Ron Sparks, an outspoken opponent of the proposal.

It would require farms or ranches with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle or 200 hogs to pay an annual fee of about $175 for each dairy cow, $87.50 per head of beef cattle and $20 for each hog.

The executive vice president of the Wyoming Farm Bureau Federation, Ken Hamilton, estimated the fee would cost owners of a modest-sized cattle ranch $30,000 to $40,000 a year. He said he has talked to a number of livestock owners about the proposals, and "all have said if the fees were carried out, it would bankrupt them."

http://chasblogspot.blogspot.com/200...-fart-tax.html

Any mention of humans? How many times will you be allowed the 'pull my finger' trick before you hit taxable levels?:D

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    Any mention of humans? How many times will you be allowed the 'pull my finger' trick before you hit taxable levels?:D

I'm not sure, but I think my 9 year old nephew has reached that level.

I saw an interview with an author who stated that the problem is that we are using feed for cattle, instead of letting them eat the grass that they traditionally ate prior to the WWII era. As someone who was a little kid in West Michigan during the PBB situation, I tend to agree with his way of thinking. If Michigan cows had been eating grass in the 70s, they wouldn't have been exposed to the USDA's poisoned feed that ultimately got into the human population.

If you are unfamiliar with the PBB situation, just google PBB+Michigan and see what you find. It's very frightening.

Moderate Commie Lib
    Get on the actual polluters first, then worry about the farmers, imo. They get screwed enough as is.
    You determine how the conversation goes. Keep it clean, and you'll get nothing but honest discussion. Start flaming, and it's party time. :D

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I saw an interview with an author who stated that the problem is that we are using feed for cattle, instead of letting them eat the grass that they traditionally ate prior to the WWII era.
    Hummm. . . I see an underground economy opportunity here. Can the grass be newly mown or do dairy cattle have to eat it in situ as it were?