Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Year Without A Summer? 
    HAVE THUNDERSTORMS BEEN MORE ELECTRIFIED THIS YEAR?

So far, 2009 has been a deadly year for lightning strikes. Two people were killed last week, and another Monday, bringing the total number of lightning-related deaths to seven, with 50 injuries reported total. A Southwest Airlines plane was struck by lightning in California earlier last week. Is this trend of lightning strikes on people and airplanes abnormal this year?

On average, 60 people are killed and over 350 people are injured by lightning each year, with June, July and August the most common months for deaths. In 2008, 27 people were killed by lightning and 303 injured.

As for aircraft, 66 have reported lightning strikes so far this year. Last year, 55 reported lightning strikes to airplanes occurred through May.

The number of deaths and the number of airplanes hit does not seem out of the ordinary this year. Actually, the number of lightning flashes is considerably less than what was reported this time last year. As of June 3, 2009, there have been 5,589,686 flashes, with 6,517,381 reported by June 3, 2008.

One of the reasons for this could be colder-than-normal weather across the northern tier of the country that has suppressed the number of thunderstorms and has significantly reduced the number of tornadoes this year. The number of reported tornadoes so far this year is 685, just over half of the average annual amount, which is 1,297.

According to Long Range Expert Joe Bastardi, areas from the northern Plains into the Northeast will have a "year without a summer." The jet stream, which is suppressed abnormally south this spring, is also suppressing the number of thunderstorms that can form. The ones that do form in areas of the Ohio Valley and West are forming in places with very cold temperatures, which can lead to more electrified thunderstorms than normal this year
    :mad:

Accuweather

I would just be happy to have a fall and spring this year. We usually just go from summer to winter and back to summer. Tomorrow is suppose to be 97 with heat index of 102.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

We've only had a couple of days over 80 degrees in Detroit so far. That's very unusual by recent standards, although that was what a typical early summer in Michigan used to be like when I was a kid. This means that Lake Michigan in Traverse City will not get warm enough to swim in this summer, not even by August. Hopefully, it will be warm enough where my sister lives, in St. Joseph.

I have my a/c on at my house right now, but that's because of the tree pollen, not the heat.

1992 was a year where we didn't really have much of a summer. I remember it-I bought my first car with A/C, and rarely used it. The volcano in the Phillipines had erupted earlier that year, and coated the atmosphere with enough ash that the sun couldn't really heat up the northern hemisphere.

Well, we've had damaging hail, torrential rain, and twisters for the past few days. I'm so mad I could spit. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, we've had damaging hail, torrential rain, and twisters for the past few days. I'm so mad I could spit. :mad:

Cheer up you have me to visit with. It is to wet for me to work too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

Cheer up you have me to visit with. It is to wet for me to work too.
    Some pair we make. At least you have goats. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Some pair we make. At least you have goats. :D
    I was out in the powder keg this morning trying to reload. I had one in my lap and four standing around me nibbleing my ears.

The goats like it when I stay home they get to run loose.

What's the collective for goats? 'Flock' as in sheep, or ''herd' as in cows?

Whatever you call them, that's a very pretty group. You should be proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The goats like it when I stay home they get to run loose.
    Cool pic! Some people keep goats around here. I like my yard too much own goats. We also have coyotes so it's dicey.