1. #1 Waiting for GoBus 
    Banned
    Sometimes life really does imitate art...

Wayward Alzheimer's patients foiled by fake bus stop
    By Harry de Quetteville in Berlin
    Last Updated: 2:52PM BST 03/06/2008

A German nursing home has come up with a novel idea to stop Alzheimer's patients from wandering off: a phantom bus stop.

The bus stop, in front of the Benrath Senior Centre in the western city of Düsseldorf, is an exact replica of a standard stop, with one small difference: buses never stop there.

The idea emerged after the centre was forced to rely on police to retrieve patients who wanted to return to their homes and families but had forgotten that in many cases neither existed any longer.

"If we can’t find them then we have to alert the police,” said Benrath's director Richard Neureither. “It can be particularly dangerous if this happens in winter and they spend the night out in the cold.”

Without powers to detain patients, he said, Benrath had been forced to look for other solutions.

“We cannot and must not run after people and lock them up,” said Mr Neureither.

Instead, Benrath home teamed up with local care association called the 'Old Lions'. They went to the Rheinbahn transport network which was happy to provide the bus stop to nowhere.

More...

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Sometimes life really does imitate art...

What a dirty trick.The least they could do is to have an occasional fake city bus pick them up and take them for a ride and return them to the same spot when done and they would never know the difference !

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I love it! Do they also serve rubber food to old people with time to kill? :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

When I sent dad to the home. We told him the bus was taking him to the doctors for a physical. He got on it with no qualms. It took him a week to figure it out, and two weeks to forget his mad. He is happy and he is where he needs to be.

WHen I worked in hospital security, we would occassionally find a confused elderly person wandering the parking lots. 90% of the time, they were a patient from the nursing home that next to the hospital.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Bump. I love this story.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!