Thread: This 4th from a Vets family

Hybrid View

1. #1 This 4th from a Vets family 
    Everything I am about to write is a true story about the 4th of July this weekend and

for each member who supports war to think about.

My profile shows that I am a wife of a combat VN vet who never does very well on

the 4th probably more than any other holiday. He will pretty much stay in our bedroom

and reads, mostly the bible. We always go to see the fireworks however, for the kids.

The bombs bursting in air? This year was a little different. My husband will almost cry when he

hears the loud bomb like thunderous explostions in the sky, but he holds the hand of our little

ones

and points to the sky. This year it was our little 3 year old that we are raising that put her

hands over her ears and said, "I don't like it Mom." It's too loud. I'm afraid. She has been going

to the fireworks show since she was born but this year, getting out of the baby baby stage, She

actually listens to sounds and observes the sights in life.

We discovered she didn't like it. At all.

She said, " i don't like it. I don't like it. It makes me afraid. We brought her home and was

getting her ready for bed, she clung to me as a few firecrackers were still going off next

doot that sounded like gunshots. I mind wandered to the Middle East and every war we have

fought. I thought, My goodness, the children. Those precious children.

I thought of Shock and Awe and how the babies, the toddlers had no idea of the thunderous

sounds and the lights that lit up the sky. Only there was real danger. Those were not replicas

of bombs bursting in air, those were real bombs. As she clung to me tighter I sat her in my lap

and rocked her gently. I closed my eyes and sung a lullaby as she drifted off to sleep, making

a promise to her, if she didn't like that loud noise, we wouldn't go see any more fireworks till

she wanted to. I kept rocking and she laid silently to my breast. I heard my husband strumming

his guitar from the other room. It was a hymnal. I then thought of the soldier from past to

present. I thought of the pain the solider endures on return from war scarred forever with

startle reaction and PTSD. I thought of the thorn in their head they live with and especially

the reminder of destruction with bombs bursting in air and then looking over at the children

thinking.....we must leave war behind. I thought of the Iraqi Mother who could not tell her

child, there would be no more explosions in the air. I thought of the soldier

who will become a veteran and cannot hide from the horrors of the war

and it will torment him or her throughtout

their lives. I thought of the argument of We have to fight there to keep from fighting here.

Does that make it right? No. Those children of Iraq are scarred for life. Those veterans

are scarred for life. Those veterans who have been diagnosed with PTSD will never again

enjoy but endure a fireworks show, and the children if they survive will be happy to hear

as our little three year old granddaughter said, "Peace and Quite". No thunder booms in the air.

War is a such a waste and I thought of the bible verse, What does it profit a man if he

gain the world and lose his soul?

My heart goes out to the veterans and we will always have war but it is so sad and
    we need to go to war as a last resort.
    Now, no one in their right mind can say I don't support our troops but there is no
    doubt in my mind that the war in Iraq needs to end.
    God Bless.

You are the gloomiest person I have ever met on the Internet. You make the 4th of July into a day of mourning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aAU1XE8MQk

GEN Dave Petraeus re-enlists 1,215 US soldiers at Al Faw Palace, Baghdad. July 4, 2008.

Sort of puts the typical fireworks display and barbecue to shame. If this brings neither a tear to your eye or causes a bit of a tingle to run up your spine you need to rethink what today is about.
    http://www.redstate.com/stories/war/...dependence_day

I really think you are at the wrong site.

I have to agree with Library Lady. Your husband is the vet, quit already, trying to be the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post
    I have to agree with Library Lady. Your husband is the vet, quit already, trying to be the vet.
    And yet if more of us tried to step into the shoes of the vet, perhaps our vets would receive the care and compassion that they deserve. We all have a different life experience that leads to our beliefs. Why can't you let Vetwife have hers?

I want the war in Iraq to end as well, as I think we all do. We all just have different views of the point at which we believe it is appropriate to end it. Currently, I don't think our job is finished. And I fear that if we don't finish it, it is our children that will have the fear of the bombs bursting in air, rather than a celebrations of the night those bombs meant our freedom over 200 years ago.

Let her have her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Let her have her voice.

She has her voice but I think she is not the typical vetwife. My whole family has been military, all ranks and lengths of service, in wartime and peacetime and NONE of them are that miserable.

Funny, three of my cousins just enlisted. I hadn't thought about it but I guess they had a pretty good idea of what they are getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    She has her voice but I think she is not the typical vetwife. My whole family has been military, all ranks and lengths of service, in wartime and peacetime and NONE of them are that miserable.

Funny, three of my cousins just enlisted. I hadn't thought about it but I guess they had a pretty good idea of what they are getting into.
    I'm certain that Vetwife's Husband's situation may make her different from what some may consider the "typical" vet wife.

A few years ago I saw an interview on Veteran's day with a WWII vet. It was just a quick interview as part of the parade coverage. He broke down in tears talking about his experience during the war. It broke my heart. Everyone's service experience is different, and therefore their families are affected differently.

I'm sure this is an emotional time for a lot of people and I don't see the point of belittling Vetwife's feelings merely because they may not be your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Let her have her voice.
    She has her morbid voice, as it is.

I am a vet, I don't go around shoving it in everyone's face. Especially in a manner that is so morbid.

That's just me....

*shrugs*

DU must love her posts about the terrible military, horrible treatment, screwed up vets and all the anti-war/pro Obama crap.

I think she's becomming Mrs. Murtha.

JMO.

Thank you Philly.
    My husband is 100 perent disabled from PTSD from war trauma.
    Library Lady.......you go ahead and find glory and think I am morbid but actual
    combat vets who see death and destruction up close don't just get over it and neither
    do their families. You think I am depressing. I think anyone who glorifies war is a fool.
    I think talking patriotism and actually going to the VA and reaching out to them in compassion
    is different from wearing a little flag pin and saluting the flag.
    Thank you Treetop for your service. I am so very thankful that war did not affect you.
    Library Lady, me thinks my opinion of war and it's harm on the soldier bothers you in some way.
    If wanting peace is depressing then color me morbid. If you think war is happy. Something is
    surely screwed up there. YOU ARE THE MOST DEPRESSING PERSON I HAVE EVER HEARD FROM.
    YOU ARE SO CAUGHT UP IN WHAT YOU THINK IS PATRIOTIC YOU MISS THE BEST PART OF
    AMERICA...TRYING TO FORM A MORE PERFECT UNION. JEESH !

Patriotism does not know an R or a D. But some of you are so narrowed minded you think
    people who disagree with you politically such as Murtha WHO served and Clark who served is
    nothing. I appreciate ALL including John McCain who served but everyone who works with
    veterans up close and personal does not walk away the same.
    Ron Paul was not for the war and look how you treated some of those people.
    What is with that? Dissent is a form of patriotism. Read your history books.
    I am a very positive person on many sites but I think many have been de sensitized to war and ignoring
    it does not make it disappear. You don't have to agree with me but lockstepping like DU does not make you any better.
    I have many blessings but I am also concerned about things other than myself.
    I would never consider myself the vet. I do consider myself the wife of a vet. You and I read different posts from different
    families of veterans. I would think I am about 50 percent of the typical vet family.
    Last edited by vetwife; 07-05-2008 at 11:55 AM.