Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Quotas And Freedom Of Association. 
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    Self-segregation? What kind of wanna-be RaHoWa bullshat is this? I don't get why this jackass hasn't been banned yet.

~QC
    Not too bright, are you.. I said, "self-segragation.." That means allow the natural wishes of people to live where they want, around those whom they wish to live around, work with the types of people they wish to work with and go to school with the types of people they wish to got to school with..

And you have a problem with this? That in no way is derogatory toward any race, but is more about telling the government to get out of the business of social engineering.

You don't have a problem with the government forcibly busing inner-city kids from under-achieving achools to suburban over-achieving schools just to mix up the races-to the detriment of the kids in the over-achieving schools?

You don't have a problem with the government forcing police and fire departments to hire minorities who did poorly on the qualification test just to more accurately represent the racial makeup of that town? Maybe you could enlighten me as to how having a multi-racial police or fire department benefits a city or town when a segment of the department has demonstrated that they're not the best at what they do and the ones who were the best were passed over in favor of race... Sorry, but when a job involves saving lives, I want the BEST, race aside.

You don't have a problem with colleges denying kids who worked their butts off to get into college because the only spots they have left are reserved for those who didn't work as hard, didn't get the grades to get in on merit, alone, and qualify solely based on skin color? When my son or daughter's eyes need operated on, I don't want a doctor that only got into college because of their skin color-I want the BEST, be it black, white or yellow... Let the cream rise to the top naturally!!

This isn't a white power rant, so don't even start that crap. I'm ranting against racial quotas of any kind and saying that the best at whatever the job is should get the job-I don't care if that results in all-black companies and departments. . When a job needs done we should have the best person doing that job, not someone whose main qualification was their skin color.... Natural selection.. The best-the hard workers and most qualified should get the job, period, no matter their skin color.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

This is an interesting topic. Let's be focused and rational, people. Now, have fun. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This is an interesting topic. Let's be focused and rational, people. Now, have fun. ;)
    Asking alot, there, ain't ya Ginger?:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Moderate Commie Lib
    I happen to live in one of the cities (perhaps even the first) where busing was first made mandatory, by the court system. It's still an issue today; the city just got finished resubmitting a plan that deals with issues raised by a legal action brought by parents on both sides of the issue who were unhappy with how the situation stood circa five years ago.

Self-segregation leads to two things; 1. xenophobia and 2. ignorance. Depending on what direction this thread goes and what kind of response there is, I'll elaborate further on these; for now, considering the OP, that's all the time I'm willing to waste.
    You determine how the conversation goes. Keep it clean, and you'll get nothing but honest discussion. Start flaming, and it's party time. :D

Busing led to self-segregation in Detroit. There were other factors affecting the white flight in the 70s, like the 67 "civil disturbances" (how the locals describe the riots). But busing was one of the issues, too.

With Detroit, it was busing within the district. It wasn't busing city kids to the suburbs and vice versa. People who didn't want their kids going to school with black kids moved to the suburbs, where they couldn't be bused.

They talked in Grand Rapids about busing kids from the suburbs to the city. My parents were upset, and it never happened because suburban parents paid taxes to their district, not the Grand Rapids district. If you have state-wide funding without local funding, that same argument can't be made, and it's the best argument against busing.

The mentality behind busing was that if the white kids were bused to traditionally black schools, the standards at that school would rise to meet the standards of the traditionally white schools. It didn't work because of the white flight that occurred as a result.

Now, integration is happening in the Detroit suburbs because middle class blacks are giving up on the city, too. I moved to my area in 2001-it was about 70% white at the time. I'd say it's more like 60% now. Warren is the largest suburb (3rd largest city in the state, we replaced Flint in the 90s). Southfield has been fully integrated for about 20 years, and is a pretty stable part of town with decent schools-not the best schools, but better than average. It's a very expensive place to live, however.

I like living in an integrated area. I don't want to be the only white person in a neighborhood, but I don't want someone else to be the only black person.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post

I like living in an integrated area. I don't want to be the only white person in a neighborhood, but I don't want someone else to be the only black person.
    Thanks for the wealth of information.. You are more informed on the issue than most.. My problem is the government getting involved in any capacity. They have no right telling white kids they have to change schools because their school is too white, or taking black kids and plopping them down in an all-white school where they won't feel comfortable. It's all about the government overstepping its bounds.. Any time you try to force people to do something like this the result is a net-negative..
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

The mentality behind busing was that if the white kids were bused to traditionally black schools, the standards at that school would rise to meet the standards of the traditionally white schools. It didn't work because of the white flight that occurred as a result.
    Out here it didn't work because busing fractured the social networks. Parents didn't feel like they any say about a school that was 5 or 10 miles away. Local parents didn't want outsiders having any say about the school. The kids who were bussed in were never accepted as part of the community and they never formed friendships and social networks with the local kids. The local kids beat up the outsiders.

And then the outsider parents moved away.

In any case, the idea behind busing was flawed. White kids or Asian kids don't do better in school because they're surrounded by white or Asian kids. They do better in school because a lot of white and almost all Asian parents think education is valuable and they impose negative consequences on their kids when the kids blow off school.

Whites who reject education and the Protestant work ethic are no better off than uneducated blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    White kids or Asian kids don't do better in school because they're surrounded by white or Asian kids. They do better in school because a lot of white and almost all Asian parents think education is valuable and they impose negative consequences on their kids when the kids blow off school.
    That's a very good point, and with 70% of black kids being born to single-mothers today, they're already at a disadvantage because their mother likely has to work two jobs and the kid has no support structure at home.. This is partly why they resort to anti-social behavior at a higher rate than white kids.. Another argument against busing white kids into black schools-safety and class cohesion.. It's a shame, but facts are stubborn things. Having white kids at your school isn't going to help with homework when you go home at night.

All busing does is make the politicians feel better about themselves..

I take a special interest in my son's school work because I want him to succeed. Being black, he's teased when he's in band practice and on the playground because he's one of only a few black kids in his entire school just because of the town we live in. Kids can be cruel. But he's showing them by getting straight A's and B's-much better than some of the other kids in his class who come from much more privileged homes.

There are other reasons that white schools are generally better schools, and it's unfortunate, but generally the property values are higher in white districts, so more property taxes are paid, and this is what funds the schools.. So the schools in white districts have better books, cheaper sports programs, etc.. At least this is the case unless the poorer schools get government grants for these things.
    Last edited by stsinner; 06-12-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Now, integration is happening in the Detroit suburbs because middle class blacks are giving up on the city, too.
    Yet, no one frowns on them for getting out of crime ridden neighborhoods.

White family moves to suburbs = they don't want to live around blacks

Black family moves out of same neighborhood = doing what's best for their family.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Yet, no one frowns on them for getting out of crime ridden neighborhoods.

White family moves to suburbs = they don't want to live around blacks

Black family moves out of same neighborhood = doing what's best for their family.
    Damn clarity! I hate when that happens....

It's not that they don't want to be around blacks, and I don't think that's what you meant. They don't want to live in a high-crime, graffiti-ridden, dirty neighborhood, which, unfortunately, are often dominated by blacks.

The issue is only coincidentally about skin color.. It's about class and socioeconomic situations that lead people to make poor decisions.

I found an awesome article written by a black man and posted it on my forum. I'll migrate it here, because I think it's very well written.

Here's just a snippet:

"....It's time we admitted that three decades of destitution programs, welfare bailouts and affirmative action have hobbled - not helped- America's black underclass. Driving through New York's murky neighborhoods, I thought long and hard about what causes a man to foul his own nest. What encourages him to deface the neighborhood where he lives? What motivates him to throw garbage from his window, or urinate in the elevator in which his children must ride?"

Don't Feed the Blacks <--Click me.
    Last edited by stsinner; 06-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.