Thread: Ribs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ribs 
    Okay...I don't want a war. But I'm slow cooking ribs in the oven today. I have the rub on. And the oven set to 300. Am I supposed to cover the ribs with tin foil, or just open in the grill pan?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Okay...I don't want a war. But I'm slow cooking ribs in the oven today. I have the rub on. And the oven set to 300. Am I supposed to cover the ribs with tin foil, or just open in the grill pan?

Ahhhh. Ribs. To do them entirely in the oven I would cook them in two stages. First, do your rub, whatever spices you like but salt and pepper, garlic powder, etc. Bake until they are nicely browned and then take them out and wrap them in foil with some liquid, you can use water, broth, white wine, about a quarter cup more or less, and then turn the oven down to about 225 and slow cook them for at least two more hours. This breaks down the collagen and makes them tender. The longer they cook the more tender they are.

I cook pork ribs but this would work on beef ribs too.

Also, some people boil the ribs first to tenderize them and then bake them.

Enjoy!

And there are various methods to cook ribs, that is just one.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Ahhhh. Ribs. To do them entirely in the oven I would cook them in two stages. First, do your rub, whatever spices you like but salt and pepper, garlic powder, etc. Bake until they are nicely browned and then take them out and wrap them in foil with some liquid, you can use water, broth, white wine, about a quarter cup more or less, and then turn the oven down to about 225 and slow cook them for at least two more hours. This breaks down the collagen and makes them tender. The longer they cook the more tender they are.

I cook pork ribs but this would work on beef ribs too.

Also, some people boil the ribs first to tenderize them and then bake them.

Enjoy!

And there are various methods to cook ribs, that is just one.
    Okay...I was going to cook them for about 2 hours as is...then another 4 hours covered with some sauce. I may take them out and then reheat for about an hour when it's time for dinner (dinner won't be until about 8:00 tonight). Does that sound okay?

Bump!!! Bubba....you still there? Am I gonna have to eat these ribs at 4:00 instead of 8:00?

Bump!!! Bubba....you still there? Am I gonna have to eat these ribs at 4:00 instead of 8:00?
    Sorry. Was watching the Tour de France.

The main thing is to cook them 'low and slow' so the collagen will break down and tenderize them. (We are talking pork, right?)

I haven't tried the method you mentioned but it sounds like you will have adequate time to tenderize. Let me know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Sorry. Was watching the Tour de France.

The main thing is to cook them 'low and slow' so the collagen will break down and tenderize them. (We are talking pork, right?)

I haven't tried the method you mentioned but it sounds like you will have adequate time to tenderize. Let me know how it turns out.
    Yes, they are pork ribs. I will wrap them now with some liquid. I am assuming that any barbecue sauce I put on them should only go on in the last 30 minutes or so?

Yes, they are pork ribs. I will wrap them now with some liquid. I am assuming that any barbecue sauce I put on them should only go on in the last 30 minutes or so?
    You can brush them with sauce when you wrap them and then upwrap and mop them with the sauce for the last thirty minutes.

In the future, you might want to do what bubba suggests and boil them for 20 minutes or so first before baking. This is what I do with oven ribs. You want to boil beef ribs a little longer. ;)

That's when I sauce mine. I take off the foil (If you used foil.) and turn up the heat to about 350 and put the sauce to them for about fifteen or twenty minutes.

I'm sure they will be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You can brush them with sauce when you wrap them and then upwrap and mop them with the sauce for the last thirty minutes.

In the future, you might want to do what bubba suggests and boil them for 20 minutes or so first before baking. This is what I do with oven ribs. You want to boil beef ribs a little longer. ;)
    My mom always boiled hers first, but then my sister moved to North Carolina and was told to never boil them. And I could have sworn I read on here not to boil them.

For once, I have the time that it takes to cook them slowly and to boil them as well. Oh well. Perhaps I'll be able to get the fat run off with the liquid I put in the foil.

Thanks Ginger and Bubba!!

A few weeks ago I just bought pre-cooked ribs (dinner was on a boat, with no stove, no grill...so I had to make do with microwave cooking). So I thought I'd make real ribs today.

My mom always boiled hers first, but then my sister moved to North Carolina and was told to never boil them. And I could have sworn I read on here not to boil them.

For once, I have the time that it takes to cook them slowly and to boil them as well. Oh well. Perhaps I'll be able to get the fat run off with the liquid I put in the foil.

Thanks Ginger and Bubba!!

A few weeks ago I just bought pre-cooked ribs (dinner was on a boat, with no stove, no grill...so I had to make do with microwave cooking). So I thought I'd make real ribs today.
    Bone appetite. :D