Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59
  1. #11  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    You do know that more Confederate POWs were killed by the North than Union POWs were killed by Confederates don't you?

    There were also more Union POWs than Confederate POWs so that made your chances of surviving Andersonville as an Union soldier better than a Confederate had of surviving a Union POW camp.

    Another point of moral clarity. The Union troops were taken captive as they were trying to kill Americans and destroy American cities. The Confederates were Americans protecting their homeland from an invasion of murders.

    I agree, but there is a point to what I am saying. That is a confederate grave, the only confederate grave remaining, at the Andersonville National Cemetary. His name is Sampson B (Boze or I have see it as Boaz) Kitchens. He is my ggg-uncle on my mother's side. He was in the 10th Georgia Regiment and was present at Appomattox. To me, that lone confederate marker in a sea of union ones is a monument and I am proud of my association with him.

    I am proud of my confederate ancestors.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    gator
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I agree, but there is a point to what I am saying. That is a confederate grave, the only confederate grave remaining, at the Andersonville National Cemetary. His name is Sampson B (Boze or I have see it as Boaz) Kitchens. He is my ggg-uncle on my mother's side. He was in the 10th Georgia Regiment and was present at Appomattox. To me, that lone confederate marker in a sea of union ones is a monument and I am proud of my association with him.

    I am proud of my confederate ancestors.
    Do you know that when I visit DC I won't even go to Arlington? There are many brave American heroes buried in Arlington and I have tremendous respect and admiration for them. However, Arlington was established as a Union Army cemetery. It was even put at Arlington as a slap in the face of Robert E. Lee.

    As long as the purpose of the cemetery is to “honor” those that invaded America and killed Americans I will pass on visiting it.

    God bless you for visiting your relative at Andersonville.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Do you know that when I visit DC I won't even go to Arlington? There are many brave American heroes buried in Arlington and I have tremendous respect and admiration for them. However, Arlington was established as a Union Army cemetery. It was even put at Arlington as a slap in the face of Robert E. Lee.

    As long as the purpose of the cemetery is to “honor” those that invaded America and killed Americans I will pass on visiting it.

    God bless you for visiting your relative at Andersonville.
    I found out about where he was buried by accident. I was visiting a small church cemetery in Macon county Georgia and a couple of older men were cleaning up the grounds and we got to talking.

    One of them told me a joke:

    You know there's one confederate gravemarker at Andersonville National Cemetery, and it is pointed on top where all the union grave markers are rounded on top.

    Do you know why that is?

    It's so that when all the yankee families come down to visit the graves of their relatives, they won't sit on that lone confederate soldier's tombstone.
    This joke of course refers to the convention of the styles of grave markers eventually adoped for confederate and union graves. Union grave markers are generally rounded on the top. Confederate grave markers are slightly pointed on top.

    I laughed when they told me the joke, and then they told me the name of the veteran and I went 'Wow! That's my ggg-uncle."

    It was something the way that came about.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    noonwitch
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Fan View Post
    The Civil War was about more than slavery. The Confederate flag means more than that. But even if it didn't, they're putting it on private property.
    I'm not a fan of the confederate flag and all it stands for, but private property is private property.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,464
    "The group just needs about $30,000 more, said Douglas Dawson, Florida division commander."

    So, basically, no need to get excited. This could still take decades. :p
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    I live about 20 miles from Irwinville, the site where President Davis was captured. There is a small museum and markers showing the exact site of capture. There is no Confederate flag flying on the grounds at all because it is property of the state. Jesse Jackson and the rest of Logan's Papa's friends came in and made sure of that. There is a flag flying across the road from the museum though. The owner of that property said if the state was too chickenshit to fly it over there, he'd have to do it for them.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not a fan of the confederate flag and all it stands for, but private property is private property.
    Then apparently, you don't know what it stands for.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Jesse Jackson and the rest of Logan's Papa's friends came in and made sure of that.
    I have no problem with folks glorifying their loser status.:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    I have no problem with folks glorifying their loser status.:p
    That's why you are allowed here in the first place.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member LogansPapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    3,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's why you are allowed here in the first place.
    Wow. Touché.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •