Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The media didn't force Dan Quayle to spell "potato" with an "e" on the end; he did that himself. The media may have made him always have a deer in the headlights look on his face, which merely means he wasn't ready for the position he was in. Some guys are just born to play golf, and he's one of them.
    Big friggin deal. He put an e on the end of a word in error. If you are honest in your assessment, answer this question. What is worse ---Obama stating that I have been to 57 states with one to go or misspelling a word.

FYI, some of the smartest and most successful people I have ever known belong to exclusive Country Clubs. Something that you know nothing about.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Big friggin deal. He put an e on the end of a word in error. If you are honest in your assessment, answer this question. What is worse ---Obama stating that I have been to 57 states with one to go or misspelling a word.

FYI, some of the smartest and most successful people I have ever known belong to exclusive Country Clubs. Something that you know nothing about.
    They're both bad, and about equal in importance. They should both have been ridiculed equally. I wouldn't make a big bet on that "country club" statement, if I were you. "Country club Republican" is an epithet around here, but I see you admire the way I grew up. ;)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    They're both bad, and about equal in importance. They should both have been ridiculed equally. I wouldn't make a big bet on that "country club" statement, if I were you. "Country club Republican" is an epithet around here, but I see you admire the way I grew up. ;)
    I would say Obama's reference is far worse. As far as your country club statement goes, you are way out of your league as I made my living for 10 years as a PGA Class A member.

Who was Eisenhower’s VP and do you remeber any gaffs that he made?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Who was Eisenhower’s VP and do you remeber any gaffs that he made?
    Some of us remember without looking it up that it was Richard Nixon. The Checkers speech certainly comes to mind, as well as the reason he felt he had to give it.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    I would say Obama's reference is far worse. As far as your country club statement goes, you are way out of your league as I made my living for 10 years as a PGA Class A member.
    How nice for you. One can belong to a country club without playing golf, although my parents did at one time.

Power CUer
    I don't think Obama's reference is "far worse", because I don't believe in the "Secret Muslim" conspiracy stuff. I think it's just as mindless as "potatoe".

Some of us remember without looking it up that it was Richard Nixon. The Checkers speech certainly comes to mind, as well as the reason he felt he had to give it.
    I actually remember now from reading it in a book. It is nice to hear it from someone who was there though.

Banned
    How nice for you. One can belong to a country club without playing golf, although my parents did at one time.
    From my personal experience, some social members are leeches on the club. One thing I found interesting is that the super rich did not go around trying to impress others. In some cases, children of those members was another story.

Power CUer
    From my personal experience, some social members are leeches on the club. One thing I found interesting is that the super rich did not go around trying to impress others. In some cases, children of those members was another story.
    I don't know what your problem is today, but it seems to be a little worse than usual. You know nothing about me, and that's the way I prefer to keep it. Your assumptions about me are off the mark, as always. I never said we were super rich; "old" money tends not to be.