Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pro Football Player--kills guy, 30 days in jail 
    This really bothers me. Donte Stallworth at least admitted he hit the guy, but he was driving drunk. I wonder if he would get 30 days for killing someone driving drunk if he weren't a pro football player for the Cleveland Browns. And how convenient, he'll be able to continue playing football. :mad:

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS

Browns' Stallworth pleads guilty and gets 30 days

By CURT ANDERSON AP Legal Affairs Writer The Associated Press
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:51 PM EDT
    Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth, left, arrives at the Miami-Dade... (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)

MIAMI (AP) Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth took full responsibility for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk in Florida and began serving a 30-day jail sentence Tuesday after he pleaded guilty to DUI manslaughter.
    Stallworth also reached a confidential financial settlement to avoid a potential lawsuit from the family of 59-year-old Mario Reyes, according to Stallworth attorney Christopher Lyons. Reyes was struck and killed March 14 by Stallworth, who was driving his black 2005 Bentley after a night drinking at a swanky hotel bar.
    Stallworth, 28, told Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy that he hopes to get involved in drunken driving education programs.

"I accept full responsibility for this horrible tragedy," said Stallworth, who was accompanied at the hearing by his parents, siblings and other supporters. "I will bear this burden for the rest of my life."

Stallworth faced 15 years in prison. After his release from jail, Stallworth must serve two years of house arrest and spend eight years on probation.
    The NFL has said it will review the matter for possible disciplinary action. Lyons said the plea agreement will allow Stallworth to resume his football career.

Stallworth also must undergo drug and alcohol testing, will have a lifetime driver's license suspension and must perform 1,000 hours of community service. Lyons said after five years, Stallworth could win approval for limited driving such as for employment.

Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle cited Stallworth's lack of previous criminal record, cooperation with police and willingness to accept responsibility as factors in the plea deal. Rundle also said the Reyes family particularly the victim's 15-year-old daughter wanted the case resolved to avoid any more pain.

snip.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    This really bothers me. Donte Stallworth at least admitted he hit the guy, but he was driving drunk. I wonder if he would get 30 days for killing someone driving drunk if he weren't a pro football player for the Cleveland Browns. And how convenient, he'll be able to continue playing football. :mad:

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...ARSDCCLM_UNEWS
    This is unheard of in Florida. I got 30 days in jail and lost my license for 10 years and I didn't hit anyone or cause an accident. I was just speeding They just sentenced a lady here in town to something like 5 years after an accident that killed her daughter who was a passenger in the car. You know, I really don't mind the strict DUI laws considering I've been on the wrong side of them a few times, but when they aren't applied fairly across the board, well that is immoral.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

He didn't flee the scene either. He supposedly called 911 and waited for the cops. I hate people who drive drunk but at least he didn't run. I wonder how many million Mr. Reyes' family got? My guess is double digit.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Banned
    In Louisiana his fine would have been a min. of $2k and a min. of 2 years up to 30 years in prison.

I think the law must have been changed years ago because I thought it was a min. of 5 years in prison.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-16-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Okay, Stallworth drives drunk and kills someone and gets 30 days in jail. Michael Vick pleaded guilty to charges of dog fighting and got put away for two years.

I'm not saying Vick shouldn't have been punished, but 30 days for a DUI killing? Jeez. Where's the proportionality?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Our"justice" system is geared toward fines and making revinue for the states it is basically tax collection at gunpoint. when you put someone in jail it costs you money. Unless there is a huge public out cry they don't put you in jail for long anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Our"justice" system is geared toward fines and making revinue for the states it is basically tax collection at gunpoint. when you put someone in jail it costs you money. Unless there is a huge public out cry they don't put you in jail for long anymore.
    Would you like to guess how much my DUI cost me?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Probably ten grand. My last one was in 1985 and cost me 2000.00

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Okay, Stallworth drives drunk and kills someone and gets 30 days in jail. Michael Vick pleaded guilty to charges of dog fighting and got put away for two years.

I'm not saying Vick shouldn't have been punished, but 30 days for a DUI killing? Jeez. Where's the proportionality?
    The Vick incident was the first thing I thought of too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Probably ten grand. My last one was in 1985 and cost me 2000.00
    My lawyer cost more than that. It's up to $25,000 and still counting. It happened over 3 years ago and by the time its over I suspect it will be $30,000+

C. S. Lewis