Thread: Pro Football Player--kills guy, 30 days in jail

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is unheard of in Florida. I got 30 days in jail and lost my license for 10 years and I didn't hit anyone or cause an accident. I was just speeding They just sentenced a lady here in town to something like 5 years after an accident that killed her daughter who was a passenger in the car. You know, I really don't mind the strict DUI laws considering I've been on the wrong side of them a few times, but when they aren't applied fairly across the board, well that is immoral.
    Applying them fairly across the board, in your example, would require federal sentencing guidelines. Are you ready to go there?

As you may or may not know, I am a corrections officer and believe you me there are some inmates who are baffled by this because they're doing 5 years for a bag of weed. Hell, Paris Hilton got 45 days on a probation violators. But not that this makes it any better, he's been suspended indefinitely from the NFL.

I'm sorry but if you drive drunk and kill someone - that's murder. EVERYONE knows that driving drunk is stupid and that you can kill someone - and to get behind the wheel knowing that takes premeditation.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    What is the big legal deal about a DUI? You get caught, you pay a fine, maybe some jail. What would a lawyer have to do to earn himself 30K?
    He only earned 12,000, the rest when to the city, state and various agencies that get involved. The lawyer got me minimums. The max sentence in my case was 5 years in prison and a fine that could run as high $20,000. Because I had means I had to pay for each day I was in jail, I had to pay for each month I was on probation, I had to pay for mandatory substance abuse classes, I had to pay for DUI school, I had to pay to have my car impounded for 90 days, I have to pay a lot extra for my hardship license. I have pay for the program I am in to keep my hardship license, I have to pay to install an interlock device (breathalyzer) in my car, I have to pay a monthly fee to have the interlock device maintained and serviced. This are just the big expenses.

Do get me wrong, I deserve every bit of this and more for my behavior and poor decision making. My issue is with someone driving drunk and killing some one and getting a slap on the wrist. 30 days is nothing. If I can do 30 days then anyone can do 30 days. My issue here is with the law being applied fairly. No one to my knowledge has ever killed someone in a DUI/Manslaughter case in Florida and not gone to prison for at least a couple of years. Several attorneys were interviewed none had ever heard minor of a sentence being accepted by a judge in a plea deal.

Again, I am not whining about my sentence, I believe that I my crime and the sentence I received was perfectly fair considering my crime. I didn't cause any damage to any thing and no one was hurt. I was pulled over for speeding and I got what I deserved. I am all about forgiveness but I am also concerned with fairness and justice and celebs can have the money to purchase adjudication that sets justice aside for them. Where does that leave everyone who doesn't have the money to pay off the family?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Applying them fairly across the board, in your example, would require federal sentencing guidelines. Are you ready to go there?
    I am not sure why the feds would want jurisdiction in a case like this? Why wouldn't it be considered fair if the state handled this and sentenced based on what the average sentence is for a DUI manslaughter offense? Under what grounds would the feds become involved?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    It does not make sense at all --very unfair. However, when I read this:

I think I know what the court is doing.

If he is sincerely remorseful, he can be used as a powerful tool as far as speaking to young people about alcohol and drunk driving. This happens from time to time in CA with celebrities. But the usual sentence is 6mos. to 1 year.

Also, the fact that the guy didn't flee the scene -- that says something to a judge.
    So you are saying that he should be rewarded for obeying the law? I would say that his reward for obeying the law was not being charged with breaking it. His reward was not getting a felony hit and run charge or a felony eluding charge.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I'm sorry but if you drive drunk and kill someone - that's murder. EVERYONE knows that driving drunk is stupid and that you can kill someone - and to get behind the wheel knowing that takes premeditation.
    I would argue that last point out based on diminished capacity but I am to tired to make the effort.:)

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    That's why I stay on dirt roads if I decide to ride around and drink. Can't drive more than 20-25 mph and can't hurt anyone but myself, and whoever is in the truck with me.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's why I stay on dirt roads if I decide to ride around and drink. Can't drive more than 20-25 mph and can't hurt anyone but myself, and whoever is in the truck with me.:D
    You're going straight to hell.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    You're going straight to hell.:p
    Just take it easy on me when I get there.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad