Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jefferson: The MAN set me up! 
    Jefferson 'cold cash' blamed on FBI sting
    Defense sees bid to set him up

By Kristi Jourdan THE WASHINGTON TIMES | Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The attorney for William J. Jefferson tackled the "elephant in the room" in opening statements Tuesday, explaining the notorious $90,000 "cold cash" discovered in the former congressman's freezer as an FBI setup bid. Prosecutors, for their part, painted a portrait of a debt-ridden man selling out the public good.

In his opening speech in U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Jefferson attorney Robert Trout addressed the best-known detail in the case - the marked bills found by federal agents in Mr. Jefferson's freezer wrapped inside Pillsbury Pie Crust boxes. He described the money as the trial's "elephant in the room."

He said Mr. Jefferson did not commit bribery because he never passed on the money to its intended recipient - then-Nigerian Vice President Atiku Abubakar - and he accused a Jefferson business partner, who will not be testifying during the trial, of setting up the Louisiana Democrat.

CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

In the seventies in Louisiana when we would come into town with the carnival. One of the first things we did was to go to the Parish Sheriff's Office and pay them off.. If you didn’t you couldn’t run your games wide open and would get shut down. In fairness it happened in other states too in some counties. We called it contributing to the sheriffs retirement fund.

Banned
    It is about time they brought this crook to trial. If he had been re-elected, his trial date would still be in lumbo. Now he is an ex democrat and therefore expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    In the seventies in Louisiana when we would come into town with the carnival. One of the first things we did was to go to the Parish Sheriff's Office and pay them off.. If you didnít you couldnít run your games wide open and would get shut down. In fairness it happened in other states too in some counties. We called it contributing to the sheriffs retirement fund.
    That is my home state. Are you implying we were crooked?? :D

We took a perverted sense of pride in believing that we had crookedness down to an art form. :o
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post

We took a perverted sense of pride in believing that we had crookedness down to an art form. :o
    I still go down there for the food. They were a piece of work in the seventies. I got caught up in a slave labor camp for a couple of weeks by morgan city and had to escape but that is another story for another time.

I still go down there for the food. They were a piece of work in the seventies. I got caught up in a slave labor camp for a couple of weeks by morgan city and had to escape but that is another story for another time.
    I live in GA now and only make it back 2 or 3 times a year. The family I still have there think it's to see them, but it's the food. :)

I live in GA now and only make it back 2 or 3 times a year. The family I still have there think it's to see them, but it's the food. :)
    Do you like boudin? I make it myself now.

Banned

We have the best politicians money can buy. I can not believe it has been 8 years since the former Gov., Edwin Edwards, was sentenced to 10 years in a federal prison. Dumb ass Repubs in this state were trying to get Bush to pardon him before he left office.

We do have the best food here. I don't do boudin or hog head cheese but I like to suck the heads of dem crawdads..
    Last edited by lacarnut; 06-18-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Do you like boudin? I make it myself now.
    It depends. I'm from N'Awlins and lived in Lafayette for a few years. I've had some good boudin in Lafayette but I haven't found any I liked in N.O.. Dem Cajuns in Southwest LA know how to cook. I ate dinner at this old lady's house one Sunday. Big, thick pork chops so tender you could cut them with a fork. I remember that meal and it was over 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    We have the best politicians money can buy. I can not believe it has been 8 years since the former Gov., Edwin Edwards, was sentenced to 10 years in a federal prison. Dumb ass Repubs in this state were trying to get Bush to pardon him before he left office.

We do have the best food here. I don't do boudin or hog head cheese but I like to suck the heads of dem crawdads..
    I quit drinking a long time ago. I don't miss it much. A few exceptions; a glass of good wine with dinner or a cold beer when eating crayfish or raw oysters. I think there use to be a law that said you had to have a cold bottle of Dixie if you were gonna knock down a dozen or 2 of oysters. If it wasn't a law, it should have been.