1. #1 Teachers boo Obama for Asking Them to Work Harder ! 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Teachers cheer, boo Obama

"This guys move to the right is going to cost him with these blood suckers !"

..................."Hello Hillary Are You There ?"

-- Barack Obama got a few boos Saturday when he told the National Education Association convention in Washington he supports merit pay.The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee spoke by video link from Butte, Mont.

But the NEA delegates were less enthusiastic when Obama listed problems such as the high U.S. dropout rate, poor scores in math and science, and the millions of students reading below grade level.

Some delegates booed when Obama said teachers should get additional pay for teaching in tough schools, mentoring students or acquiring additional skills.
    snip
    The response to his speech was generally enthusiastic from a union that has already endorsed him, USA Today reported.

"I'm tired of hearing teachers blamed for our problems," Obama said. "I want to lead a new era of mutual responsibility in education."

"In some places we've already seen that it's possible to find new ways to increase teacher pay that are developed with teachers, not imposed on teachers," he said, to more boos.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2008/07/...0581215295532/

Banned
    Obama needs to address black fatherhood first. 70% illegimacy is a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Obama needs to address black fatherhood first. 70% illegimacy is a huge problem.
    Now that would really cost him with the blacks !

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    There are a lot of things that he needs to address... like where he stands on just about everything. He gives mixed signals and doesn't like getting nailed down with a specific position on issues. This is what scares me about him. I don't really know what he stands for other than getting elected President. At least Hillary was a devil we knew, if he gets elected there is not telling what he'll do.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    Some delegates booed when Obama said teachers should get additional pay for teaching in tough schools, mentoring students or acquiring additional skills.
    I oppose merit pay, not because I don't believe that merit should be rewarded, but because I don't trust the public education system to recognize merit when they see it. Under those circumstances, merit pay becomes a way to reward toadies and punish independent thinkers.

However, extra pay for working in tough schools ("combat pay" as my teacher friends call it) seems to be quite fair. In some of these schools, teachers are in physical danger, especially in schools serving more than one gang territory. Some of these types of schools are also in areas with environmental hazards, like landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I oppose merit pay, not because I don't believe that merit should be rewarded, but because I don't trust the public education system to recognize merit when they see it. Under those circumstances, merit pay becomes a way to reward toadies and punish independent thinkers.

However, extra pay for working in tough schools ("combat pay" as my teacher friends call it) seems to be quite fair. In some of these schools, teachers are in physical danger, especially in schools serving more than one gang territory. Some of these types of schools are also in areas with environmental hazards, like landfills.
    I am for advanced combat training for teachers in some schools.Also every school in any gang distracts should have it's own in school swat team with riot shotguns and body armor for the teaching staff !

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I am for advanced combat training for teachers in some schools.Also every school in any gang distracts should have it's own in school swat team with riot shotguns and body armor for the teaching staff !
    I know teachers who would be willing to settle for being allowed to send violent and disruptive students to the counselor's office and having them STAY THERE and not be sent right back to the classroom.

(Though I gotta admit, the body armor sounds helpful.)

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    I know teachers who would be willing to settle for being allowed to send violent and disruptive students to the counselor's office and having them STAY THERE and not be sent right back to the classroom.

(Though I gotta admit, the body armor sounds helpful.)
    School counselor is a 'Nothing Title' used by the union to promote a teacher to management and pay her more money !They are famous for 'passing the buck' aka returning the kid to his classroom . How about body armor and a stun gun ?