Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "Wow Who Would Have Thunk :Calif regulators find pot smoke causes cancer" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Calif regulators find pot smoke causes cancer"

"Now They Can Tax the bejesus Out Of It !"

SAN FRANCISCO — Marijuana smoke has joined tobacco smoke and hundreds of other chemicals on a list of substances California regulators say cause cancer.

The ruling Friday by the Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment likely will force pot shops with 10 or more employees to post warnings. Final guidelines are expected by the time warning requirements take effect in a year.

The listing only applies to marijuana smoke, not the plant itself.

Spokesman Sam Delson says the state agency found marijuana smoke contains 33 of the same harmful chemicals as tobacco smoke.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shar...na_Cancer.html
    Delson says the findings came from a review of more than 30 scientific papers

Is it just me, or do the advocates of legalized pot tend to be the same people who are the most shrill tobacco opponents?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Is it just me, or do the advocates of legalized pot tend to be the same people who are the most shrill tobacco opponents?
    You noticed !

I had a "friend" in high school (we'd all recognize him as a typical DU poster, though I'm still trying to learn his screen name) who used to challenge me to provide a single harmful fact about marijuana. This guy was a huge (in more ways then one) pot head. Was also a huge conspiracy nut, who believed that the government was intent on committing genocide against pot smokers.

I wonder how he's taking this news.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I had a "friend" in high school (we'd all recognize him as a typical DU poster, though I'm still trying to learn his screen name) who used to challenge me to provide a single harmful fact about marijuana. This guy was a huge (in more ways then one) pot head. Was also a huge conspiracy nut, who believed that the government was intent on committing genocide against pot smokers.

He is in denial and that this study is just a right wing conspiracy. Heavy pot smoking probably causes other diseases comparable to cig. smokng.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post

It probably harshed his buzz. :D
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    He is in denial and that this study is just a right wing conspiracy. Heavy pot smoking probably causes other diseases comparable to cig. smokng.
    Actually, if you look at the content of the statement, it simply says pot contains chemicals that are known to cause cancer... which has been well known for a long time... Pot actually has MORE carcinogens that cigarettes... also known for a long time.

What is less clear, is why lifelong, heavy potsmokers, don't have any increased risk of lung/mouth cancer when compared with non-smokers. Yes, this is true, it is a fact.

Its theorized that THC (the active ingredient it pot) actually promotes cell death in cells that may have mis-copied or potentially cancerous genes, negating effects of the carcinogens in the smoke.... while nicotine actually does the reverse, and causes bad cells to live longer and reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Actually, if you look at the content of the statement, it simply says pot contains chemicals that are known to cause cancer... which has been well known for a long time... Pot actually has MORE carcinogens that cigarettes... also known for a long time.

What is less clear, is why lifelong, heavy potsmokers, don't have any increased risk of lung/mouth cancer when compared with non-smokers. Yes, this is true, it is a fact.

Its theorized that THC (the active ingredient it pot) actually promotes cell death in cells that may have mis-copied or potentially cancerous genes, negating effects of the carcinogens in the smoke.... while nicotine actually does the reverse, and causes bad cells to live longer and reproduce.
    Or, it could be that nicotine is an appetite suppressant, while THC is an appetite stimulant, and it's as simple as getting the cancer cells out of your mouth by displacing them with Doritos. :D
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post

That sounds like Dr. Dean Edell on his talk show. I think it is only true if you haven't been circumcised though. Those are two of his pet topics pot smoking and circumcision.

So, if you bake it into brownies, that risk is eliminated.

It takes more weed to do it that way, though. People would still smoke it, even if you could buy pot brownies legally at 7-11, because smoking it gets the drug into the bloodstream faster than eating it.