Thread: Sunday Sacrifices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Home from work, tired, but I'll give this TOTD a shot (by the way, Bubba, very poignant and honest reply):

I want to say "not really' but perhaps when it comes to my writing, my art, I really haven't. Honesty time, folks. I've been in a bit of a slump (no excuses, because that would be the pu- well, the wimp way out) for no particular reason and I am working my way BACK to finishing the final draft of my book. But I know in my heart I could sacrifice the other things I do when I am home to spend time on my writing/book. That would be a sacrifice worth doing. The other stuff is--honestly--unnecessary albeit pleasurable. Granted, I couldn't say "honey, I can't cut the grass because I have to finish revisions on chapter 16!" but you get my drift...

I write too. It is hard. Keep writing.

I try to average three pages a day. Doesn't sound like much until you try it.

Keep writing. Finish one thing and move to the next. Keep writing.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Home from work, tired, but I'll give this TOTD a shot (by the way, Bubba, very poignant and honest reply):

I want to say "not really' but perhaps when it comes to my writing, my art, I really haven't. Honesty time, folks. I've been in a bit of a slump (no excuses, because that would be the pu- well, the wimp way out) for no particular reason and I am working my way BACK to finishing the final draft of my book. But I know in my heart I could sacrifice the other things I do when I am home to spend time on my writing/book. That would be a sacrifice worth doing. The other stuff is--honestly--unnecessary albeit pleasurable. Granted, I couldn't say "honey, I can't cut the grass because I have to finish revisions on chapter 16!" but you get my drift...
    As you may know, Hemingway was torn in many of the same ways early in his career. He had a job as a reporter with the Toronto Star, reporting from post-War (WWI) Europe, but felt it distracted him from his true calling. He was married to Hadley, an older woman who had a regular stipend, which they were forced to live on once he quit the Star. They had a child, John, aka "Bumby," and were living in pretty impoverished conditions in Montmartre, yet he persisted. While I'm not suggesting that you might be another Hemingway (although I'm not suggested you won't), the key is persistence.

In his later years in Cuba, he got up every morning, went to the second building, typed standing up from 6:00 - 12:00 (noon) and made it a point to be drunk by 3:00. I, who also attempt to write, always keep in mind his motto: "Start with one perfect sentence."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    As you may know, Hemingway was torn in many of the same ways early in his career. He had a job as a reporter with the Toronto Star, reporting from post-War (WWI) Europe, but felt it distracted him from his true calling. He was married to Hadley, an older woman who had a regular stipend, which they were forced to live on once he quit the Star. They had a child, John, aka "Bumby," and were living in pretty impoverished conditions in Montmartre, yet he persisted. While I'm not suggesting that you might be another Hemingway (although I'm not suggested you won't), the key is persistence.

In his later years in Cuba, he got up every morning, went to the second building, typed standing up from 6:00 - 12:00 (noon) and made it a point to be drunk by 3:00. I, who also attempt to write, always keep in mind his motto: "Start with one perfect sentence."
    Ironically enough, I share the same birthday as Hemingway, July 21st. And I lived in Key West for a while when I was a kid. Never been to Cuba but I LOVE Cuban food. Thanks for advice, CW.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I write too. It is hard. Keep writing.

I try to average three pages a day. Doesn't sound like much until you try it.

Keep writing. Finish one thing and move to the next. Keep writing.
    You are correct, Bubba. Hell, ONE good page is a sight better than 3 so-so ones. I just have found--over the years--that I hate hate hate revising. And I've come to understand a process that works for me. Too bad it took me a fair number of years to realize it. There is no tried and true method of writing...only what works for YOU. I cannot do pre-story outlining. Hate it. Gets in the way of the creative process (again, for me). Since I am not big on revision after the fact (I mean, I can do it) but I've found that I do this (revise) AS I write. I used to think--many years ago--that I wasn't "doing it" right....but after talking to a number of writers, I've come to realize that I edit as I go...and that that is just damn fine to do it like that. Again...it is what works for me.

Thanks, too, for the comments, BD!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

TOTD: I think most people have put their own wants and needs aside from time to time to benefit someone else. I certainly have. However, I don't really view this a sacrifice. There are things we do out of love or duty or honor that don't dovetail perfectly with our own immediate desires but are still consistent with our own personal codes.

You can look at those times as a sacrifice or you can look at those times as a bit of a trial. I prefer to see them as a part of life that tests your convictions. It's less dramatic that way. ;)