Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sometimes a little intelligence can breed a lot of arrogance. When one first becomes intoxicated with the empirical method, one can begin to feel that if certain knowledge cannot be proved by the scientific method, then it's not worth knowing.

But there's more than one kind of intelligence and many levels of knowledge. I find it funny that one who has been known to imply that anyone who has faith or practices religion is basicallly ignorant, talks of "intellectual humility".

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    And for those who think education will stop them. . . please consider that Osama Bin Laden has a degree in engineering, and many of the higher echelon of Al-Quaida DO have their Masters or Doctorates. Many of the 9/11 hijackers were white collar guys in their former lives. It's a smug person who thinks that education is a panacea against radical Islam.

And when you consider that many or these "atheist professors" hold Christianity a greater threat than Islam, it rings hollow indeed.

~QC
    And it was Doctors blowing things up in England . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lager View Post
    Sometimes a little intelligence can breed a lot of arrogance. When one first becomes intoxicated with the empirical method, one can begin to feel that if certain knowledge cannot be proved by the scientific method, then it's not worth knowing.

But there's more than one kind of intelligence and many levels of knowledge. I find it funny that one who has been known to imply that anyone who has faith or practices religion is basicallly ignorant, talks of "intellectual humility".
    See my thread here: http://www.conservativeunderground.c...ad.php?t=15231

If not by empiricism, by what right can you claim to "know" something?

Sorry, if one is to make claims about anything besides the most very subjective of your thoughts, (such as the world outside your brain) one must submit to empiricism. Even for claims like "God exists", or "prayer works"... they most definitely cross the threshold to statements about the world.

The arrogant position is to claim that ones own beliefs about the world need not be subjected to the rigors of empiricism (or as the article calls it, the tribunal of the inter-subjective) in order to have credibility... which is exactly what one does when they prop up these alternate, mysterious alternatives to empiricism.

I think you are missing a lot. For instance, I am not a deeply religious person myself. However, I can see the positive role religion plays in society as well as the good it does. Whereas I'm sure that you only see the negative. I don't think it really matters to those who have faith, whether you can prove the existence of god empirically or not.

Banned
    I think you are missing a lot. For instance, I am not a deeply religious person myself. However, I can see the positive role religion plays in society as well as the good it does. Whereas I'm sure that you only see the negative.
    Well, look at this video? I mean I could be wrong about Islamic radicalism being dampened by western culture.

I don't think it really matters to those who have faith, whether you can prove the existence of god empirically or not.
    Which is a problem... they have no grounds to argue against any other religion (or belief for that matter) by adhering to such a stance, except to dig their heels in and say "Nooooo... its US who has the real truth!".

Its a form of intellectual relativism... its ironic that theists must ultimately rely on relativism in order for their beliefs to survive in an empirical world, since relativism is usually enemy #1 for those who claim to have objective truth on their side.

But it's only a small minority who argue that they have the real truth, or that their way is the only way. And it's still a minority who want to force their religion on others. Most religious people quietly go about their life drawing strength and peace from it, and that's all. You know, chop wood, carry water......
    Last edited by Lager; 06-22-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling error

But it's only a small minority who argue that they have the real truth, or that there way is the only way. And it's still a minority who want to force their religion on others. Most religious people quietly go about their life drawing strength and peace from it, and that's all. You know, chop wood, carry water......
    Atheists spend far more time trying to force their beliefs on others than do Christians.

Banned
    I like how the music changes when the word "Immigration" comes up.

This 7-minute video has many things in common with the Nazi anti-Semitic propaganda film The Eternal Jew. It doesn't use the hateful rat imagery of the nazi piece, but it uses people's fear of the other or the foreigner to make its point.

Also, one major flaw in the 'fertility' stats -- they ignore the fact that muslims marry non-muslims every day. They have babies and they celebrate both cultures.

The piece doesn't mention the differences between French, UK, and Dutch immigration laws--as if the entire EU has this open door policy.

The biggest problem in this video and why I would label it bigoted and more appropriate for a stormfront audience, it makes no distinction between non-practicing/practicing muslims and religious extremists--as if everyone who owns a copy of the Koran is evil--this message isn't overt, but the music, graphics, and narration are all trying to convey the same message of doom.

And once again - Hazlnut attacks the right - defends the left and explains away Islamic expansionism. Who needs democrats when we have fake conservatives like this asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    I like how the music changes when the word "Immigration" comes up.

This 7-minute video has many things in common with the Nazi anti-Semitic propaganda film The Eternal Jew. It doesn't use the hateful rat imagery of the nazi piece, but it uses people's fear of the other or the foreigner to make its point.

Also, one major flaw in the 'fertility' stats -- they ignore the fact that muslims marry non-muslims every day. They have babies and they celebrate both cultures.

The piece doesn't mention the differences between French, UK, and Dutch immigration laws--as if the entire EU has this open door policy.

The biggest problem in this video and why I would label it bigoted and more appropriate for a stormfront audience, it makes no distinction between non-practicing/practicing muslims and religious extremists--as if everyone who owns a copy of the Koran is evil--this message isn't overt, but the music, graphics, and narration are all trying to convey the same message of doom.
    Muslims DO marry non-Muslims, but in many cases, it's the Muslim tradition that carries in the long term.

If this is all it takes to label something for a stormfront audience, you have no clue what real bigotry is.

~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 06-22-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.