Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Of course the homosexual community is offended by this. Even if they don't know what the context was in which this professor made these rules. Consider the recent tabloid case of Perez Hilton. Hiltion alledgedly got clocked by someone in a bar, because Hiltion (who is gay) called the dude or one of his associates, a "faggot". Hilton admits he did this. Now compare what Hilton did to what Miss California said, that in her opinion, marriage is between a man and a woman. Which action deserves the most outrage? Now, ask yourself which one the gay and lesbian community are likely going to focus on, and be most upset about?
    It's because it is all political theatre, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Japandroid View Post
    What if a professor said this about Christians? I would really appreciate if they'd "just shut up" when discussing topics that shouldn't have a religious agenda shoved in them.
    Some do say that. Some organizations are so fearful of offending gays that it is easier to stifle the speech of Christians because more people are on board with that.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

What if a professor said this about Christians? I would really appreciate if they'd "just shut up" when discussing topics that shouldn't have a religious agenda shoved in them.
    Many, many professors do say things far more derogatory of Christians. In fact, legal groups have had to threaten universities with law suit to force them to allow Christians ANY free speech.

http://www.thefire.org/
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Japandroid
    The poor oppressed overwhelming majority.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Go fuck yourself.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

College and university professors are overwhelmingly liberal. They are in no way oppressed. They are quite thoroughly oppressing the minority Christian and conservative STUDENTS that are brave enough to actually speak up...in or out of class...to the authority that can fail them at will. The real "speaking truth to power" happens today on university campuses.

I suppose you actually looked over the FIRE site, right?

Mission
    The mission of FIRE is to defend and sustain individual rights at America's colleges and universities. These rights include freedom of speech, legal equality, due process, religious liberty, and sanctity of conscienceóthe essential qualities of individual liberty and dignity. FIRE's core mission is to protect the unprotected and to educate the public and communities of concerned Americans about the threats to these rights on our campuses and about the means to preserve them.
    Isn't it interesting that, in the land of the free, we need an organization to defend the rights of freedom of speech, legal equality, due process, religious liberty, and sanctity of conscience on our university campuses...because they are so heavily dominated by "tolerant" liberals?
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Banned
    Its funny... many are quick to point out and complain about minority races or other protected groups unfairly playing the "race card" (or their particular "card") etc... but you will find very few in those groups who will actually admit (or perhaps even realize) that they are doing this... in other words, they actually believe they have legitimate complaints even when they don't, or have been legitimately wronged even when they haven't, in what appears to the outside world as something of little consequence... or at least unrelated to their particular protected status.

All should ask themselves what it would look like from the perspective of such a person under that kind of delusion... the world is against you... its always you or your group thats unfairly singled out, never the other guys... its everyone's fault but your own, your actions couldn't possibly have caused the troubles you now face, and you truly believe it... and are mystified and indignant that the world would conspire against you so unfairly.

I'm not sure what thats really like from the inside... but I can tell you what it looks like from the outside... it looks a lot like Mike S. Adams.

My experiences at college were quite the opposite of what others tell here.... in fact, professors seemed to be very careful to tiptoe around sensitive religious issues, lest they be flooded with angry emails and complaints from students who were trained and cultivated throughout their entire upbringing to scour every word that comes out of a professors mouth for any trace microscopic hints of liberal/anti-religious bias.... which they have been told to expect, and are eager to find.
    Last edited by wilbur; 06-23-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Its funny... many are quick to point out and complain about minority races or other protected groups unfairly playing the "race card" (or their particular "card") etc... but you will find very few in those groups who will actually admit (or perhaps even realize) that they are doing this... in other words, they actually believe they have legitimate complaints even when they don't, or have been legitimately wronged even when they haven't, in what appears to the outside world as something of little consequence... or at least unrelated to the their particular protected status.

All should ask themselves what it would look like from the perspective of such a person under that kind of delusion... the world is against you... its always you or your group thats unfairly singled out, never the other guys... its everyone's fault but your own, your actions couldn't possibly have caused the troubles you now face, and you truly believe it... and are mystified and indignant that the world would conspire against you.

I'm not sure what thats really like... but I can tell you what it looks like from the outside... it looks a lot like Mike S. Adams...

My experiences at college were quite the opposite.... in fact, professors had to be very careful to tiptoe around sensitive religious issues, lest they be flooded with angry emails and complaints from students who were trained and cultivated throughout their entire upbringing to scour every word that comes out of a professors mouth for any trace microscopic hints of liberal/anti-religious bias.
    Speaking as the wife of a college educator, I'd have to say that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. You and Bridget/Lanie were pretty thoroughly brainwashed. :D
    -
    -
    -

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Speaking as the wife of a college educator, I'd have to say that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. You and Bridget/Lanie were pretty thoroughly brainwashed. :D
    Haha... the woman who was convinced by her college professor husband that the world was created in six days speaks to others about brainwashing (in academia no less)... I guess you do have firsthand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    All should ask themselves what it would look like from the perspective of such a person under that kind of delusion... the world is against you... its always you or your group thats unfairly singled out, never the other guys... its everyone's fault but your own, your actions couldn't possibly have caused the troubles you now face, and you truly believe it... and are mystified and indignant that the world would conspire against you.
    Exactly. It took years and years before conservatives, traditional Christians, Orthodox Jews, and equality feminists realized that they could use the opposition's tactics against itself. Now we are seeing it. "Diversity" includes all of us - including traditional Christians, orthodox Jews, conservatives, equality feminists and many more. If gays are "diverse" and worthy to be celebrated in some way, then celibates, heterosexual virgins, and chaste heterosexual couples are worthy of the same celebration. Ditto for basic conservative viewpoints and equality feminists who disdain gender feminism.

Of course, in a PoMo world since it's all good - none of it really can be. Your sacred cow is just as worthless as mine. ;)