Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    NOT KNOWINGLY? WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?

UH, her name is MrsSmith. Combine that statement with the fact that her gender is an open fact to all really rings hollow here.

You knew what you were implying here. And if you didn't, you're a bigger fool than I thought. You were trying to belittle a woman using her gender.

~QC
    Gender has nothing to do with it... MrsSmith has revealed in conversations waaay back, that she used to be one of the ol' science believing evolutionists... till she met her husband and he gradually "convinced" her that it was all wrong and the world was created in six days and all that (the fact he's in academia is the icing on the cake)... hence the brainwash comment.. hence the handler comment.

But had the situation been the same and genders reversed, I *really* would say the same thing. It wasnt about gender, it was about being mentally controlled and coerced.

Now that youve quoted relevant bits I do see where that impression comes from.. but thats genuinely not what it meant.
    Last edited by wilbur; 06-26-2009 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Gender has nothing to do with it... MrsSmith has revealed in conversations waaay back, that she used to be one of the ol' science believing evolutionists... till she met her husband and he gradually "convinced" her that it was all wrong and the world was created in six days and all that (the fact he's in academia is the icing on the cake)... hence the brainwash comment.. hence the handler comment.

But had the situation been the same and genders reversed, I *really* would say the same thing. It wasnt about gender, it was about being mentally controlled and coerced.

Now that youve quoted relevant bits I do see where that impression comes from.. but thats genuinely not what it meant.
    IIOFD : I no longer care how we got here. We're here now, dammit. But like I said earlier, I am exhausted by creationists- - but irritated by dogmatic evolutionists. I'd like to believe the Deity said to the universe, "Surprise me."

Moving on (.org) :

Do you think it's possible to have your mind actually changed in this fashion? Because it seems you hold the idea so cheap that you don't think it's possible w/o nefarious means.

To me, that's not the mark of an intellectual. . .that's the mark of someone way too convinced of his own superiority to think that someone may actually have a convincing case against his own system of belief.

Then again, I could ask her the same thing as well. . .but then again, she DID start off on your side of the fence. If you really want to take her seriously, I'd ask her what he handed her to make her change her mind instead of going off with "Brainwashed", because it shows you to be just as narrow minded as your image of her.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    IIOFD : I no longer care how we got here. We're here now, dammit. But like I said earlier, I am exhausted by creationists- - but irritated by dogmatic evolutionists. I'd like to believe the Deity said to the universe, "Surprise me."
    Fair enough.

Moving on (.org) :

Do you think it's possible to have your mind actually changed in this fashion? Because it seems you hold the idea so cheap that you don't think it's possible w/o nefarious means.
    Changed in what fashion? To the side of theism or creationism? Possible, sure... but not likely, I imagine... but one doesnt ever really know what tomorrow holds, even if we can make likely guesses. :P.

To me, that's not the mark of an intellectual. . .that's the mark of someone way too convinced of his own superiority to think that someone may actually have a convincing case against his own system of belief.
    Occasionally I'm surprised, but I haven't encountered a new argument for either in quite a while that I haven't already examined at some point in time.

Then again, I could ask her the same thing as well. . .but then again, she DID start off on your side of the fence. If you really want to take her seriously, I'd ask her what he handed her to make her change her mind instead of going off with "Brainwashed", because it shows you to be just as narrow minded as your image of her.

~QC
    Well, we've had that conversation before... suffice to say I'm not convinced she had good reasons for accepting evolution way back when.... I seem to remember her working knowledge of the subject to be very poor.

Sonnabend
    It wasnt about gender, it was about being mentally controlled and coerced.
    I'd say you are giving her no credit for having a mind of her own.MrsSmith, like me and millions of others are quite capable of deciding for ourselves...you sound like those moron DUmmies who say that Rush and others "tell us what to think"....God, you're a patronising little twerp.

I believe as she does, and if you were to tell anyone that knows me that I am "easily led" and "I was coerced into believing because of what others told me"...they'd die laughing.

BOOM goes that meme.

"Mentally controlled"?

Rightttt.....
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 06-26-2009 at 06:27 AM.

My experiences at college were quite the opposite of what others tell here.... in fact, professors seemed to be very careful to tiptoe around sensitive religious issues, lest they be flooded with angry emails and complaints from students who were trained and cultivated throughout their entire upbringing to scour every word that comes out of a professors mouth for any trace microscopic hints of liberal/anti-religious bias.... which they have been told to expect, and are eager to find.

Trained & cultivated students?

Well, I can't say I ever make a point of taking the high road with MrsSmith... but the downhill spiraling conversations are always initiated by her aggressive name calling and personal attacks. Review the thread if you need an example.

In other words, she started it... and does almost every single time. I always work hard to criticize the idea or belief rather than the person, most of the time.
    "She started it"

Grow the fuck up.

Actually, this is not true. When I was in high school, all the evolutionists were frantic to find "The Missing Link" that bridged the divide between ape and man. Years later, a National Geographic article was written on one of the missing links. It went into quite a lot of detail about the lives, habits and diets of one specific "pre-human," and, at the very end of the article, mentioned that this wealth of information was based on one arm bone and part of a jaw. At that point, I gave up believing that evolution could possibly be true. If it were true, those writing the articles would have facts upon which to base them, not imagination.

After that point, I began to realize that there was seldom any mention of "The Missing Link." In fact, instead of finding the supposed link between ape and man, remains of modern humans have been found in deeper and deeper strata, and test older and older. So now articles are written as though that link was never required.

There comes into play a level of gullibility when a person is asked to continue to believe a preposterous story just because "everyone else does"...or, at least, those that consider themselves smart and important do.

A few years later, I met Mr Smith, who is a very intelligent and educated man. When he admitted that he believed the Genesis story, I looked into the evidence supporting it, and found it more convincing than the guess upon guess version of human evolution.

So, if anyone "raped" my mind, I'd have to say it happened in middle and high school...not years later. Not that you'll believe that, wil...but, oh well, the truth is still true despite your beliefs.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obamaís $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. Itís no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obamaís own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Actually, this is not true. When I was in high school, all the evolutionists were frantic to find "The Missing Link" that bridged the divide between ape and man. Years later, a National Geographic article was written on one of the missing links. It went into quite a lot of detail about the lives, habits and diets of one specific "pre-human," and, at the very end of the article, mentioned that this wealth of information was based on one arm bone and part of a jaw. At that point, I gave up believing that evolution could possibly be true. If it were true, those writing the articles would have facts upon which to base them, not imagination.

After that point, I began to realize that there was seldom any mention of "The Missing Link." In fact, instead of finding the supposed link between ape and man, remains of modern humans have been found in deeper and deeper strata, and test older and older. So now articles are written as though that link was never required.

There comes into play a level of gullibility when a person is asked to continue to believe a preposterous story just because "everyone else does"...or, at least, those that consider themselves smart and important do.

A few years later, I met Mr Smith, who is a very intelligent and educated man. When he admitted that he believed the Genesis story, I looked into the evidence supporting it, and found it more convincing than the guess upon guess version of human evolution.

So, if anyone "raped" my mind, I'd have to say it happened in middle and high school...not years later. Not that you'll believe that, wil...but, oh well, the truth is still true despite your beliefs.