1. #1 Lessons From a Grizzly Bear Hunt 
    I know alot here don't agree / like Doug Giles, so I thought I'd throw his latest column at you. I always enjoy reading him! A mans man! :D

Bring enough gun!

I just returned from a grizzly bear hunt in Alaska. I was unsuccessful, however; I didn’t get a shot (luckily for the grizz and PETA). I hate to ruin your private party, PETA freaks, but before you skip off to go autoerotic with the current issue of National Geographic, I thought I’d mention that I’ll be back after them and their black cousin in the spring of 2010. I will, sooner or later, score on the horrible one.

Even though I did not shoot a bear on my recent hunting trip, I did learn something while amongst the alders, icebergs and the devil’s club that I’d like to pass on to you, my rowdy God and country loving reader:

1. Grizzly hunting is expensive. Yep, this sport of kings is not cheap. Just the equipment costs and travel expenses needed to get to where Ursus arctos horribilis dwells costs more than most are willing to spend on a hunt. Fortunately for my wallet and wife, this hunt was gifted to me.

However, there were other costs involved that didn’t entail the outlay of Benjamins, such as the mental and physical costs of hunting deadly game in adverse surroundings. Both the animal and the elements can kill you. You need to be okay with that and willing to ante up and do whatever needs to be done in order to get your trophy.

What’s the life lesson to be gleaned here, my little children? If you want a truly awesome “trophy” it will exact from you a pound of flesh. The best and baddest in life always demand the massive expenditure of the mind, will and emotions. A great nation, marriage or a functional family will cost you retail in blood, sweat and tears. If you’re going to get your “grizzly” in life then you need to realize it’ll cost you dearly and demand an extravagant expenditure of your time, talent and treasure. Period. Great things are expensive in fifty different ways. You’ve got to pay the dues if you wanna sing the blues, and you know it don’t come easy. Cheap punks need not apply.

2. Use Enough Gun. Grizzlies can go from 0 to 40 mph faster than the fastest street car. They can fly uphill and downhill, sail through a swamp, cruise through snow and swim like fish. The big boars will reach ten feet in height, have 28” biceps, 29” skulls and can tip the scales at 1,500 lbs. A puny man with a puny gun is no match for this ultimate predator—especially if he decides to take you on.

While we were there we saw several eco-tourist anti-gun morons with cans of bear spray holstered to their hips to use if a grizzly should decide to snack on them. Bear spray? Are you kidding me? A 1,000 lb bear coming at you at 40 mph will blow right through a cloud of cayenne en route to stomp a mud hole in your chest. Screw bear spray and 30/06s. As for me and my house, we will use at a minimum a .375 H&H Magnum, thank you very much. I recommend the big .40 cals. You see, when I interface with that which can kill me, not only do I want to kill it first, but I also want to stun it, break its bones and knock it down and out as I send it on to bear heaven.

What’s my ham-fisted spiritual lesson from this point? In life if you are going to go for your “trophy,” whatever it is, you’d better go big. Bring your big guns to the table of life. Life is brutal, and if your goal or desire is truly noble, you’ll encounter plenty of opposition in your path ready to pummel you into a grease stain. Never go after your prize under-gunned because you could have your butt handed to you. (Y’know, kinda like the pea shooting GOP did in the last election.)
    Continued

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Bumping for Use Enough Gun.....

Robert Ruark wrote a book on Big Game Hunting called Use Enough Gun.....It is a very good read.

USE ENOUGH GUN
    Robert Ruark

This is more than the record of a lifetime's bag; it is the story of a man's education as a hunter. The lessons that Ruark learned from his grandfather still applied when he shot his first lion on safari in Africa, more than twenty years later. Then there were new lessons to be learned from Harry Selby, the Kenyan professional who became Ruark's close friend. Ruark hunted in India and Alaska, in Mozambique and Uganda, Kenya and Tanganyika.
    It is available at Amazon....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Very good article. Scary, but you better be prepared if your hunting for something that can kill you with one swipe of it's paw!

I like bigbores. But so far I just blow up cement blocks and shoot holes in paper.
    I shoot 45-70 from a bfr pistol and a ruger #3. You can load them almost to .458 win mag standard. It's a great stress reliever. I like my 454 casull too.

Remember save the last round for yourself!:D

:eek:

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post

that isn't you is it?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I like bigbores. But so far I just blow up cement blocks and shoot holes in paper.
    I shoot 45-70 from a bfr pistol and a ruger #3. You can load them almost to .458 win mag standard. It's a great stress reliever. I like my 454 casull too.
    A civil War 68 caliber Cap And Miniball should work well against a Grizzly !I have fired a Tower Hill sixty eight calibre loaded with two hundred grains of black powder and shattered a full size cement block .The Miniball is bigger than a heavy 50 cal. maching gun round and weighs about four ounces !

For a backup a a guy offf to one side with a .600 Roberts loaded with Hydroshot or Glasser safty slugs or
    a 40 MM granade launcher loaded with Mk1001:

Description
    The M1001 projectile consists of an aluminium sabot with plastic rotating bands. It is filled with 113 flechettes 50.8 mm in length, 2 mm in diameter and 1.1 g in weight. The flechettes are ejected after the projectile leaves the muzzle and are intended to provide a greater than 96 per cent probability of hitting a standard 4.3 × 4.3 m silhouette target at 100 m when firing a three-round burst. Dispersion of the flechettes at 50 m is 10.3 m..

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post

I remember that one .That bear was stalking the hunter and it took several rounds into its head to finally kill it !The bear went over six hundred pounds and stood over seven feet tall !Grizlies come running whenever they hear a shot in the woods or smell blood so to hunt alone is insanity .

I recall a story I read when I was a kid about a bear hunt to test a new arrow with heavy razor blades built into the head .They came across a grizzly in a berry patch and hit it with number of arrows from several different hunters and the bear kept coming .They had backup hunters with heavy rifles and hit the bear several times in the neck and head .It finally broke off and ran down the hill.They found it several days later with an arrow straight through it's heart that didn't even slow it down !

I've never seen a grizzly bear and I hope I never do see one. If I ever see one that isn't in a zoo, I hope someone nearby has a big enough gun to take it out!

I saw lots of brown bears at Yellowstone in 1981, though, from the safety of the bus. They're cute, but it didn't seem like they were underpopulated or anything.

I'm not a hunter myself, but I have no problem with the practice. It's good for Michigan's economy (although we don't have grizzlys, we do have brown bears and deer) and the more deer the hunters get, the less that are going to run in front of my car.