Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Fox News Anchor Draws Ratings, and Ire of Conservative Critics 
    Banned
    Fox News Anchor Draws Ratings, and Ire of Conservative Critics

At various points on his Fox News program, the anchor Shepard Smith irritated Rush Limbaugh, teased Glenn Beck and grilled Samuel J. Wurzelbacher (a k a Joe the Plumber) over his attacks on President Obama. But it was not until he forcefully confronted the topic of hateful e-mail — some from Fox’s own viewers — that he drew fire over his approach.

On June 10, Mr. Smith was in the middle of three hours of coverage of the killing at the Holocaust Museum in Washington, in which officials identified an elderly anti-Semite as the killer. He then mentioned a prior warning by the Department of Homeland Security about right-wing extremist groups and connected that to the angry e-mail messages he had been receiving.

“When a crazy man has walked into a Holocaust museum and shot the security guard, maybe that’s an appropriate time to warn people: you’ve got a crazy person in your life, keep an eye on him,” he said in an interview in his Manhattan office last week.

Mr. Smith said he fully anticipated one result of those comments: the nasty e-mail increased.

“Thousands of them,” Mr. Smith said. “And I know they don’t mean the things they say. I know they don’t hate me and want death on my family.”

What they mostly say, he explained, is: “You don’t belong there.” Mr. Smith paused a moment before adding: “I do belong here.”
    Yeah, I can relate to that.

Most afternoons, I've got Shep on in the car as I drive home. I respect someone who can call bullsh*t on his own 'team' so to speak. That's also one of the things that I admired about John McCain. When he pulled that mic away from that old woman and said, "No ma'am." I wanted to vote for that guy--putting integrity and truth above the "Hussein Obama" hate point.

When I play devil's advocate here, I try to do it without stepping on too many toes. But it's sometimes hard. I've got a better, idea of where different people are coming from and I do keep that in mind when responding. (My apologies to Coulter fans for my rant this past weekend. I feel the same way about Jenene Garafalo if that helps.)

I think the GOP on the whole has to decide who they want to represent them--right of center moderates, fiscal conservatives, or the religious base--OR a healthy mix of all of the above. I'm not sure what the word healthy means there--perhaps focusing on common ground would be a start. I don't have anything in common with those coming from a place of fear or bigotry, so it is probably impossible to find common ground there, but I know the GOP doesn't want to be represented as that.

If I have any one goal for this country, it would be to move toward a classic liberalism or fiscal conservative type of government, stressing individual freedom, free markets, and limited government. Leave the sex and morality to the states and local communities.

I live in California, but more and more my wife and I are seeing it as a nice place to visit. But, anyone who has a family knows that picking up and moving isn't something you do without a lot of thought and planning.

Anyway, I like Shep. I relate with Shep's lament.:o:(

Banned
    (My apologies to Coulter fans for my rant this past weekend. I feel the same way about Jenene Garafalo if that helps.)

The fact that you would demean Ann Coulter (A very smart and articulate person) by putting her in the same sentence with that tattooed scumbag just proves what a total, unequivocal douche bag you are. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    (My apologies to Coulter fans for my rant this past weekend. I feel the same way about Jenene Garafalo if that helps.)

The fact that you would demean Ann Coulter (A very smart and articulate person) by putting her in the same sentence with that tattooed scumbag just proves what a total, unequivocal douche bag you are. :mad:
    Geez, Lars, lighten up.

It's impossible to describe two ends of a continuum without identifying the ends.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    Geez, Lars, lighten up.

It's impossible to describe two ends of a continuum without identifying the ends.

Agreed.

And Lars is holding back.

This is precious! You didn't know "twinkle eye" shep is a flaming moonbat lib!?! You don't remember his Katrina wailing and moaning, get a grip. Shep is part of the fair and balanced of Fox.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    This is precious! You didn't know "twinkle eye" shep is a flaming moonbat lib!?! You don't remember his Katrina wailing and moaning, get a grip. Shep is part of the fair and balanced of Fox.
    So you don't like him -- and that's okay.

And being part of the 'fair and balanced' Fox is bad thing?

As opposed to the unstable lunatic fringe on Beck...

And Hannity...well, some of my new friends are fans so I will just say, he's very passionate about his views.;):)

I'm watching O'Reilly as I type... Is he a moonbat too??

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    True, I don't mind him telling what he thinks. Better than the other "news networks" on the boob-tube.

And, ..... being from Mississippi, Shep had a lot of emotional baggage there, in NOLA.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post

And Hannity...well, some of my new friends are fans so I will just say, he's very passionate about his views.;):)

Geeez, talk about nuance/bullshit/putting words into someone's mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post

I'll admit Beck is a blast to watch! And Hannity is a man of conviction, he carries the banner and doesn't flag.
    O'rielly used to be more unforgiving, now he is just vain and wants everyone to like him.
    Shep is a Colmes on zanax.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post
    Geeez, talk about nuance/bullshit/putting words into someone's mouth!
    So, you love Shep? Because when you called him a flaming moonbat lib, I didn't realize that was a term of endearment.