Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sanford, missing since Thursday, supposedly located 
    The whereabouts of Gov. Mark Sanford was unknown for nearly four days, and some state leaders question who was in charge of the executive office.
    But Sanford’s office told the lieutenant governor’s office Monday afternoon that Sanford has been reached and he is fine, said Frank Adams, head of Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer’s office on aging.
    Neither the governor’s office nor the State Law Enforcement Division, which provides security for governors, had been able to reach Sanford after he left the mansion Thursday in a black SLED Suburban SUV, said Sen. Jake Knotts and three others familiar with the situation but declined to be identified.

Sanford’s last known whereabouts had been near Atlanta because a mobile telephone tower picked up a signal from his phone, authorities said. His office now knows where he is, Adams said.
    First lady Jenny Sanford told The Associated Press earlier Monday her husband has been gone for several days and she did not know where.
    She said she was not concerned.
    The governor’s state and personal phones had been turned off and he had not responded to phone or text messages since at least the weekend, a source familiar with the situation said. ...
    http://www.thestate.com/local/story/836552.html
    Last edited by Sonnabend; 06-22-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.

Banned
    'Recharging' one's battery can mean many different things.

The governorís office issued a statement Monday afternoon: "Gov. Sanford is taking some time away from the office this week to recharge after the stimulus battle and the legislative session, and to work on a couple of projects that have fallen by the wayside.

"We are not going to discuss the specifics of his travel arrangements or his security arrangements.

One official familiar with the situation said there is no indication that foul play is involved because Sanford occasionally makes trips without his security detail.
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...s_missing.html

When I duck out of work to see a movie or do some reading over coffee--I tell my wife I'm clearing my head. This generally only takes me 1-2 hours. Not a week.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I like to think the best of the guy because the facts are not in but if it is accurate that he was not reachable for several days that could be cause for concern because he is a chief executive.

I am withholding judgement until the facts are in. Sanford is mentioned as a presidential candidate in 2012 and it may be that this is being blown out of proportion or exploited by his political opponents.

Let the facts come out before judgement is rendered.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I like to think the best of the guy because the facts are not in but if it is accurate that he was not reachable for several days that could be cause for concern because he is a chief executive.

I am withholding judgement until the facts are in. Sanford is mentioned as a presidential candidate in 2012 and it may be that this is being blown out of proportion or exploited by his political opponents.

Let the facts come out before judgement is rendered.

That's kind of what I was thinking when I saw the story, that there is probably more to it than the press is giving out.

Japandroid
    If I did this at my job I'd be fired.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Japandroid View Post
    If I did this at my job I'd be fired.
    Perhaps you're not the chief executive.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Perhaps you're not the chief executive.
    *snerk*

Japandroid
    Just because Democrats are huge pussies doenst mean Republicans should be too.

Banned
    Report: SC gov was in Argentina, not hiking trail

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) ó South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford was in South America during a dayslong unexplained absence, not hiking the Appalachian Trail as his staff told the public when state leaders raised questions about his whereabouts, the governor told a newspaper.

The State reported that Sanford arrived Wednesday morning at Atlanta's Hartsville-Jackson International Airport on a flight from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Sanford's spokesman Joel Sawyer declined to comment Wednesday morning to The Associated Press

The Republican told the South Carolina newspaper he decided at the last minute to go to the South American country. The governor says he had considered hiking on the Appalachian Trail but wanted to do something "exotic."
    Still don't know what to make of this story.

Maybe there is nothing to make of it.