1. #1 No jail time for cop who pummeled bartender (including video) 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    A Chicago police officer avoided jail time today for pummeling a woman who was tending bar, even though prosecutors produced a previously unseen video showing him beating someone else at the bar hours earlier. Anthony Abbate was sentenced to two years probation for beating Karolina Obrycka in February of 2007. He could have gotten up to five years for the attack, which was captured by the bar's security camera and shown around the world. Judge John Fleming said he decided against jail because he did not believe the crime was serious enough and throwing Abbate behind bars would not be...

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...bartender.html

This just cannot be. I honestly hope this judge was bribed. Really. I'd hate like hell to think a honest judge could see this man's crimes and then just send him home. :mad:
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    This just cannot be. I honestly hope this judge was bribed. Really. I'd hate like hell to think a honest judge could see this man's crimes and then just send him home. :mad:
    It just shows you that there are two forms of justice in the United States. Here in town we just had a police office get off with a 20 day suspension after tazing a neigbhor 7 times while the cop was off duty and on the other man's property with no right to be on his property. To add insult to injury the the 20 day suspension was for conduct unbecoming of an officer. The week before 6 rookie cops were fired for conduct unbecoming of an office for telling sexiest jokes while at the academy. I guess dirty jokes are worse than wrongfully tazing a citizen

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

We treat the police better because they're better people.

Chicago is so corrupt.

When I was 17, my mom, sister and I caught a flight out of O'Hara to California. My brother drove us from Grand Rapids, on his way to visit a girlfriend in Milwaukee. We got pulled over on the Dan Ryan. My brother didn't see the 50 mph sign and was driving 55, which was the limit on the Skyway, which we had just exited. My brother had to go up to the cop car (males get this same treatment in Detroit, but females don't). When he came back, he didn't have a ticket, but he was really upset. This is what he said happened:

The cop told him he was getting a ticket for speeding, and asked him if he had a bail bond on him, since he was from out of state. My brother told him no, he didn't generally carry bail bonds around with him. Then the cop asked him if he liked bologna sandwiches, my brother asked why, and the cop said "because that's what they're eating in jail today".

At that point my brother said "Man, I'm just trying to get my mom and sisters to the airport in time for their flight". The cop asked "that's your mom in the car? Just be careful on the Dan Ryan from now on".

He was trying to shake my brother down for a bribe, until he found out his mom was in the car. I was riding in front, and my mom was sleeping in back, so he didn't see her when he pulled us over.

My criminal justice prof at WMU once told us her brother was so stupid, he tried to bribe the only honest cop left in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It just shows you that there are two forms of justice in the United States. Here in town we just had a police office get off with a 20 day suspension after tazing a neigbhor 7 times while the cop was off duty and on the other man's property with no right to be on his property. To add insult to injury the the 20 day suspension was for conduct unbecoming of an officer. The week before 6 rookie cops were fired for conduct unbecoming of an office for telling sexiest jokes while at the academy. I guess dirty jokes are worse than wrongfully tazing a citizen
    The rookies were fired because it was easy to do so. A full on union member, not so much. I can tell you horror stories about what some get away with and others who don't.