Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Louisiana isn't any kind of "metropolis". It's a state.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    I wonder why Louisiana isn't a thriving 21st century metropolis.... Oh, yeah.... Now I remember.
    We are getting better. Louisiana is the only state in the US to have positive growth in 2008; the surplus was put in a rainy day fund. Our debt in 2009 is manageable. Repub. Governor Jindal will try to abolish or reduce the state income tax this coming legislative session.

Oooookkkkkaaaaayyyyyy.

What? Color me clueless. WTF was that all about? An "Ode to Halle Berry" sung (I use the word sing loosely here) by some idiot for what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Louisiana isn't any kind of "metropolis". It's a state.
    You're smart........ It was a mental picture I was after. Thanks for sharing your intelligence with us once again.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

Power CUer
    I was looking for an accurate mental picture, not a crayon drawing. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I didn't watch the whole thing, but the woman in the blue jacket did not look amused.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    This happened in 2008 when the state was flush with a surplus of hundreds of millions due to oil revenues. Although the legislature passed this obscene raise, the Governor in the end did veto it because there was an outcry from citizens. Jindal learned that he was voted into office for financial responsibility. He received tens if not hundreds of thousands letters and e-mails. So he changed his mind. He pissed many legislators off especially those from the Crescent City.
    Last summer didn't the Legislature try to give themselves a 300% pay raise at first? Then settled on 100%. I thought Jindal actually let it go through and only after the huge outcry did he do something. My mom lives in Metairie and she said some guy in Metairie had started a petition to recall Jindal because of this.

Many, many years ago my brother went to Boy's State. Is there any chance this kid in the Legislature had anything to do with Boy's State? I know that one is a stretch.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Last summer didn't the Legislature try to give themselves a 300% pay raise at first? Then settled on 100%. I thought Jindal actually let it go through and only after the huge outcry did he do something. My mom lives in Metairie and she said some guy in Metairie had started a petition to recall Jindal because of this.

Many, many years ago my brother went to Boy's State. Is there any chance this kid in the Legislature had anything to do with Boy's State? I know that one is a stretch.
    Jindal promised the Legislature that he would okay a pay raise rewarding them for their effort on passing legislation such as ethics reform which was near and dear to the Governor. The raise was 100%. Taxpayers got wind of it and raised 11 kinds of hell. The Governor plan was to not sign it and after so many days it would become law. Also, there was a petition to recall the Governor because of this legislation. People were pissed to the max. He reconsidered his promise, vetoed it and in the process made many legislators mad at him especially those in the black caucus.

I have not idea what the crap that kid was doing in the Legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I didn't watch the whole thing, but the woman in the blue jacket did not look amused.
    She was bobbing her head to the cRap at one point....
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

What a joke.