Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 60% of gays say faith is important to them 
    Survey: 60% of gays say faith is important to them

A significant majority of gays and lesbians — six in 10 — say faith is important in their lives, but heterosexuals generally state such commitments more often, according to a new survey by a Christian research firm.

"People who portray gay adults as godless, hedonistic, Christian bashers are not working with the facts," said George Barna, founder of the Barna Group, a Ventura, Calif.-based research company.

FAITH & REASON: On benefits for 'partners,' what's love got to do with it?
    COMPARE RELIGIONS: Beliefs on homosexuality, politics, eternal life

"A substantial majority of gays cite their faith as a central facet of their life, consider themselves to be Christian, and claim to have some type of meaningful personal commitment to Jesus Christ active in their life today."

Among the findings:

• 72% of heterosexual adults say faith is important in their lives, compared to 60% of homosexual adults.

• 85% of heterosexual adults identify themselves as Christians, compared to 70% of gay adults.

• 75% of heterosexuals said their "personal commitment to Jesus Christ" is still important today, compared to 58% of gays and lesbians.

The survey is based on telephone interviews conducted between January 2007 and November 2008 of a total of 9,232 adults. The margin of error for the 8,548 heterosexual adults surveyed ranges from plus or minus 0.2 to 1.0 percentage points. For the 280 homosexuals surveyed, the margin of error is between plus or minus 2.5 and 5.8 percentage points. An additional 404 adults did not identify their sexual orientation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...tm?csp=usat.me
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Survey: 60% of gays say faith is important to them

A significant majority of gays and lesbians — six in 10 — say faith is important in their lives, but heterosexuals generally state such commitments more often, according to a new survey by a Christian research firm.

"People who portray gay adults as godless, hedonistic, Christian bashers are not working with the facts," said George Barna, founder of the Barna Group, a Ventura, Calif.-based research company.

FAITH & REASON: On benefits for 'partners,' what's love got to do with it?
    COMPARE RELIGIONS: Beliefs on homosexuality, politics, eternal life

"A substantial majority of gays cite their faith as a central facet of their life, consider themselves to be Christian, and claim to have some type of meaningful personal commitment to Jesus Christ active in their life today."

Among the findings:

• 72% of heterosexual adults say faith is important in their lives, compared to 60% of homosexual adults.

• 85% of heterosexual adults identify themselves as Christians, compared to 70% of gay adults.

• 75% of heterosexuals said their "personal commitment to Jesus Christ" is still important today, compared to 58% of gays and lesbians.

The survey is based on telephone interviews conducted between January 2007 and November 2008 of a total of 9,232 adults. The margin of error for the 8,548 heterosexual adults surveyed ranges from plus or minus 0.2 to 1.0 percentage points. For the 280 homosexuals surveyed, the margin of error is between plus or minus 2.5 and 5.8 percentage points. An additional 404 adults did not identify their sexual orientation.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...tm?csp=usat.me
    Yeah,because i'm a gay catholic myself and i'm constantly hurt when people say i can't be both gay and chrisitian.

I also know that there are church groups as well that are welcoming, but not sanctioned by the church.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Yeah,because i'm a gay catholic myself and i'm constantly hurt when people say i can't be both gay and chrisitian.

I also know that there are church groups as well that are welcoming, but not sanctioned by the church.
    All believers are sinners, straight or homosexual, but scripture calls for us, as believers to repent and denounce those things which are abhorrent to God. Because we are human we tend to fall back into sinful practices but we can seek forgiveness. In fact the Lord's Prayer takes our failure into account in the line "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." As long as we are serious and heart felt in our appeals for forgiveness we shall be forgive. If we are just paying lip service to the process then why bother.

Churches should welcome all sinners who are seeking to repent and worship the Lord. You can be both gay and Christian just as I can be both an alcoholic and Christian but we but have to turn our back on the things that separate us from our Heavenly Father.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    All believers are sinners, straight or homosexual, but scripture calls for us, as believers to repent and denounce those things which are abhorrent to God. Because we are human we tend to fall back into sinful practices but we can seek forgiveness. In fact the Lord's Prayer takes our failure into account in the line "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." As long as we are serious and heart felt in our appeals for forgiveness we shall be forgive. If we are just paying lip service to the process then why bother.

Churches should welcome all sinners who are seeking to repent and worship the Lord. You can be both gay and Christian just as I can be both an alcoholic and Christian but we but have to turn our back on the things that separate us from our Heavenly Father.
    No You! being gay and christian is not a sin!

No You! being gay and christian is not a sin!
    I didn't say being gay was a sin. Participating in homosexual sex acts is a sin. Being an alcoholic is not a sin. Being a practicing alcoholic is a sin.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I didn't say being gay was a sin. Participating in homosexual sex acts is a sin. Being an alcoholic is not a sin. Being a practicing alcoholic is a sin.
    What about these verses?

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched." (Mark 9:43)

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. " (1 Peter 2:18)

for six days work is to be done,but the sabbath is a day of rest holy to the lord,whoever does work on the sabbath shall be put to death.(exodus 35:2)

Banned
    Is this PoliCon's coming out thread?

I mean, that's how it read to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Is this PoliCon's coming out thread?

I mean, that's how it read to me.

You have "faggot on the brain", faggot.

rm -rf obama*

What about these verses?

"If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed, rather than having two hands, to go to hell, into the fire that shall never be quenched." (Mark 9:43)
    Hyperbole. It is Christ defining how truly bad sin is by analogizing the situation. Its similar to your mom telling you that if you made a bad face it might freeze that way. Perhaps a better analogy might be when people say that someone got angry and exploded. It doesn't literally mean that the guy blow up. It's hyperbole to express how angry the guy got.

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. " (1 Peter 2:18)
    Slavery was not the same thing in first century Judea as was in 19th century America, but we'll work with your misconceptions. Peter was speaking of obligations and doing the right thing regardless of the situation you are in. In slavery you are obligated to work for your master and since you are in that situation you honor God by doing the best work you possibly can. You honor God by doing your best work and being respectful regardless of the situation. This is one example of Christians being the light of the world and being humble. Review Romans 13:1-6. It will help you understand this.

for six days work is to be done,but the sabbath is a day of rest holy to the lord,whoever does work on the sabbath shall be put to death.(exodus 35:2)
    I will answer that with this scripture.
    The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"
    He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need?
    In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."
    Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.
    So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
    Mark 2:24-28

What do these scriptures have to do with repenting from sin?
    Last edited by FlaGator; 06-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.

C. S. Lewis

You realize you are trying to be rational with a guy who is posting in a fox suit?

rm -rf obama*