#1 Go piss on somebody else's grave!06-28-2009, 04:34 AMLaelth (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-27-09 05:27 PM
Go piss on somebody else's grave! (not Michael Jackson's, please)
Normally, I am one of the people who argues that more speech is better. I dislike it when DU members ask the mods to restrict certain speech, for example. I prefer the open dialogue that has made DU my favorite message board. We're generally free here to say whatever we want, within some very wide boundaries. I cringe when I read STFU posts or threads. But this time I feel differently.
This is a STFU thread.
Consider this advice. Those who want to bash Michael Jackson should STFU. Here's why:
1) It's rude to speak ill of the dead (at least while people are mourning). It's even more rude to speak ill of the dead directly to a person that you know cared about the dead person. Those of you who insist on reminding us all that Michael Jackson was a pedophile (an unproven allegation, but very likely true) are pissing on the grave of a person that you know many of us appreciate and respect because he enriched the world and made it a more beautiful place. Reminding us that he was (you believe) a pedophile, is the equivalent of going to MLK's funeral and reminding Coretta and all the assembled mourners that Martin was an adulterer. That's just downright rude. What do you think would have happened to you at that funeral if you had shouted out your disapproval of MLK's behavior in front of all the mourners? Think about that before you post, please.
2) I am a white man from the Deep South who, as a teen, danced to (poorly) and sang (miserably) Michael Jackson's songs with my black friends. My parents could never have done this when they were teens, but my mother (at least) was singing Michael Jackson's songs too, and for the first time in history it was socially acceptable in the South for whites and blacks to like the same kind of music. Many of you can not understand how significant Michael Jackson was because you do not share my history, but I can assure you, he was a colossus. And his popularity, obviously, was not limited to the South. It was global.
See this reference, if you're interested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/jul/12/popandrock
3) It is not my intent to call anyone out in this thread. That, of course, would be a violation of DU rules, but you need to understand that it seems odd to hear people denigrate Michael Jackson's music. Thriller has sold more copies than any other album in the history of the world, and that number is growing rapidly now that MJ has died. The nearest competitors are more than 50 million behind Thriller.
It seems quite strange (and somewhat racist, in fact) to hear people call MJ's music pathetic, weak, or otherwise unacceptable. Each person is entitled to their own aesthetic opinions, of course, but it sounds like sour grapes to me. Sorry, the white boy bands didn't sell as many albums. One could argue that no person was ever as famous as Michael Jackson. Indeed, few people have ever had as great an artistic impact on the world. If you don't like that, or if your gut tells you there's something "just not right" about that, then STFU. You need to figure out what your personal agenda is. The world, very obviously, disagrees with you, and people are mourning the loss of Michael Jackson all over the world.
You don't really want to hurt our feelings, do you?
R.I.P. Michael Jackson
We all know the DUmp is famous for grave pissing...not it's wrong?
SPedigrees (224 posts) Sat Jun-27-09 05:36 PM
Response to Original message
4. Michael Jackson was a highly gifted musician and dancer.
However I'm not inclined to glorify or mourne the passing of pedophiles. I sort of feel that the world is slightly less icky without M. Jackson in it.MH1 (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-27-09 07:27 PM
Response to Reply #27
32. Michael Jackson was not a politician
He may not have been able to put the opulence of his lifestyle in perspective, but as far as I know he didn't start any wars or encourage people to torture other people. He did do a lot for various charities and events that support liberal values. (Remember "We are the world" for just one)
Also, asking people to refrain from mean-spirited attacks is not the same as saying you think the guy is a saint
It's a huge fire on the island.
06-28-2009, 04:44 AMThose of you who insist on reminding us all that Michael Jackson was a pedophile (an unproven allegation, but very likely true) are pissing on the grave of a person that you know many of us appreciate and respect because he enriched the world and made it a more beautiful place. Reminding us that he was (you believe) a pedophile, is the equivalent of going to MLK's funeral and reminding Coretta and all the assembled mourners that Martin was an adulterer. That's just downright rude.
I wish I were independently wealthy. I'd really like to fund a research project to study the liberal mind.Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.
06-28-2009, 05:41 AMscheming daemons (1000+ posts) Sat Jun-27-09 10:59 PM
Response to Original message
72. With all due respect to your first point
"Reminding us that he was (you believe) a pedophile, is the equivalent of going to MLK's funeral and reminding Coretta and all the assembled mourners that Martin was an adulterer."
A. You're comparing pedophilia to adultery? REALLY? fucking really?
B. You're comparing yourself - an anonymous fan that Mr. Jackson didn't even know - to the wife of Martin Luther King? REALLY? Your relationship to Michael is the same as Coretta's to MLK?
Adultery is not 1/1000th the crime against humanity that pedophilia is. Sorry. I won't let you get away with that equivalence.
What a VERY poor example by you.
You know what?
When George W. Bush croaks, I will "piss on his grave" too. Doesn't matter that he was President and many millions love him.
When Rush Limbaugh croaks, I will defecate on his fucking grave. Doesn't matter that tens of millions of Americans love the guy and think he's a genius.
When OJ Simpson croaks, I will "piss on his grave" too. Doesn't matter that he was one of the greatest athletes I ever saw.
Look... you want to compartmentalize Michael Jackson in your brain so you can block out what you, deep down, know to be true - what he did to/with young children .... so you can focus on the parts of his life that you loved.... Go right ahead.
But don't go telling me to STFU when I decide to piss on the grave of a person who's sick fucking mind let him think it was ok to behave inappropriately with children.
Being talented and famous might give some folks a "free pass" with someone like you.... but not with me.
I can't separate his talent from his demons.
06-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm not advocating for pedophilia, I'm just answering your question in so far as my understanding of the comparison goes. Now in light of all that, I am sure that those on DU have a wholly different reason why one is worse than the other and also some DUers see pedophilia as perfectly acceptable as is adultery.“For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.
To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?”
2 Corinthians 2:15-16
06-28-2009, 10:58 AM
WOOT! Classic stuff!!! :DMay the FORCE be with you!
- Join Date
- May 2008
06-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Someone might want to find out if DU had a thread about Tony Snow and see how they respected his family when he died. Never mind, I did it myself. Not going to post individual posta but let's just say that the DUmmies view of Snow was vastly different than this person's feelings about MJ's passing:DUmmies on Tony Snow's Passing.The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh ya, I remember that thread...
New Dawn (1000+ posts) Sat Jul-12-08 08:26 PM
Response to Reply #1
208. He was a war criminal
He personally chose to participate in the Bush regime, knowing full well that it had illegally invaded Iraq. It is only unfortunate that he will never get to see his day in court.
Morons.May the FORCE be with you!
06-28-2009, 11:16 AM
So I guess I'm a war criminal as well? I knowingly reenlisted under President Bush, after we had invaded Iraq.
So should I go find a lawyer?
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|