1. #1 Oregon Passes Hemp Bill (46 to 11) 
    kpete (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-29-09 09:44 PM
    Original message
    Oregon Passes Hemp Bill (46 to 11)
    Source: PR News Wire

Oregon Passes Hemp Bill

Becomes Sixth State in 2009 to Take Action

State Pressure to Grow Hemp Continues to Mount as Business Booms

SALEM, Ore., June 29 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, by a vote of 46 to 11, the Oregon House passed SB 676, a bill that permits production and possession of industrial hemp and trade in industrial hemp commodities and products. "I am glad that Oregon has joined the list of states that have agreed that American farmers should have the right to re-introduce industrial hemp as an agricultural crop," says SB 676 sponsor, Sen. Floyd Prozanski. "By passing SB 676 with strong bi-partisan support, the Oregon Legislature has taken a proactive position to allow its farmers the right to grow industrial hemp, to provide American manufacturers with domestically-grown hemp, and to profit from that effort." The Oregon Senate passed the bill by an overwhelming majority vote of 27 to 2 on June 19. Vote Hemp is optimistic that Governor Kulongoski will sign the bill. Oregon would become the ninth state to authorize regulated hemp farming under state law.

"The time has come for the federal government to act and allow farmers to once again grow hemp, so American companies will no longer need to import it and American farmers will no longer be denied a profitable new crop," comments Vote Hemp President, Eric Steenstra. "Under current federal policy, industrial hemp can be imported, but it cannot be grown by American farmers. Hemp is a versatile, environmentally-friendly crop that has not been grown in the U.S. for over fifty years because of a misguided and politicized interpretation of the nation's drug laws by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). While a new bill in Congress, HR 1866, is a welcome step, the hemp industry is hopeful that President Obama's administration will recognize hemp's myriad benefits to farmers, businesses and the environment," adds Steenstra.

Many businesses in Oregon manufacture, market and sell hemp products, including Living Harvest, The Merry Hempsters, Wilderness Poets, Earthbound Creations, Sweetgrass Natural Fibers, Sympatico Clothing, Mama's Herbal Soaps and Hempire. Living Harvest of Portland was recently ranked the third-fastest-growing company in Oregon, as awarded by The Portland Business Journal's "Fastest-Growing Private 100 Companies" annual award.

"We are looking forward to the opportunity to invest in hemp processing and production locally," says Hans Fastre, CEO of Living Harvest. "This bill represents another step towards heightening the hemp industry's profile within mainstream America and making hemp products more accessible to businesses and consumer

Read more: http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?A...
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=102x3945537

patrice (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-29-09 09:48 PM

2. Just a little Hemp butter in your favorite fruit smoothie makes it creamy and rich tasting,
    not to mention the EFAs and protein.
    Hemp butter?

Cha (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-29-09 10:31 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    9. THis is great news! Hemp has
    so many parts of the plant that can create products for jobs and benefits our health, too.

I love my hemp sweater and hemp washcloth.
    Look at me, I have a hemp washcloth!

quidam56 (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-29-09 10:12 PM
    Response to Original message
    6. Hemp should be planted all across America
    Talk about never having to depend on fossil fuel energy sources.
    The end for our need to depend!!!!!!

femrap (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-29-09 10:38 PM
    Response to Reply #7
    10. I hope
    Big Cotton, Big Oil, Big Trees and Big Food end in bankruptcy!

Hemp is the answer to so many questions!
    But who will stop big hemp?

This type of hemp can be used for rope. cloth and paper; if the Moonbats think you can get high off of this stuff, then they are going to have a bad/sad day.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    This type of hemp can be used for rope. cloth and paper; if the Moonbats think you can get high off of this stuff, then they are going to have a bad/sad day.

They will be coughing loogies up for days afterwards. I knew some kids in high school that found a bunch of hemp growing out in the country, and they picked it, dried it and rolled it up to smoke it. They said it was extremely harsh on the lungs, and all they got for their trouble were really bad headaches. That didn't stop them from trying to sell it to the kids who rode the little bus to school, though (that's how they got in trouble).

Hemp makes a good fiber for cloth and rope, though, and it grows easily pretty much anywhere. You can grow it in season in the north, which you can't do with cotton. We've got tons of vacant land, that once cleaned up could be used to farm in Detroit. We've got tons of empty factory buildings (some of which are more recent and usable than others), that could be used to process the harvested plants into fiber and cloth. All we need is some enterprising businessman with the start-up money.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They will be coughing loogies up for days afterwards. I knew some kids in high school that found a bunch of hemp growing out in the country, and they picked it, dried it and rolled it up to smoke it. They said it was extremely harsh on the lungs, and all they got for their trouble were really bad headaches. That didn't stop them from trying to sell it to the kids who rode the little bus to school, though (that's how they got in trouble).

Hemp makes a good fiber for cloth and rope, though, and it grows easily pretty much anywhere. You can grow it in season in the north, which you can't do with cotton. We've got tons of vacant land, that once cleaned up could be used to farm in Detroit. We've got tons of empty factory buildings (some of which are more recent and usable than others), that could be used to process the harvested plants into fiber and cloth. All we need is some enterprising businessman with the start-up money.
    Where I used to live in IL, it was grown during the war to make rope.

It now grows wild and is called "ditch weed"

High Times magazine featured the area as the "hemp capital of the world" and that led to people from out of state loading up U Haul trailers of the ditch weed, to take home and mix with the "good stuff" so they could make more money on the street. It kept the police busy for months.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Where I used to live in IL, it was grown during the war to make rope.

It now grows wild and is called "ditch weed"

High Times magazine featured the area as the "hemp capital of the world" and that led to people from out of state loading up U Haul trailers of the ditch weed, to take home and mix with the "good stuff" so they could make more money on the street. It kept the police busy for months.

I'm pretty sure that's where the hemp growing around rural west Michigan came from originally. Ford and other big Michigan companies provided more items to the military in WWII than just cars, planes, and tanks. Ford had a whole bunch of surplus military items after the war that they donated to Michigan schools, institutions and camps. Interlochen got a bunch of stuff, some of it useful, some of it not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan D. Doty View Post
    No doubt. I saw hemp growing all around the twin cities. There was some growing under high-tension electrical lines right by my (now ex) mother-in-laws house.