Thread: Allstar Break

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Allstar Break 
    OK, we near the mid-season point and the classisc will be played in STL this year. Time for the eternal debate of who merits selection. In the spirit of starting the debate and giving you all a target to vent against I present my choices.

The criteria I use are:

Offense - duh. Unless it is close the better run producrer gets the nod for me. The only exception is catcher and shortstop where defense CAN be a game changer. If a guy is amazing defenseively at these positions he might get the nod over a better hitter.

Defense - OK, having said the above, if a guy absultely SUCKs at defense he loses points.

I measure offense mostly by on base percentage plus slugging percentage. There are other stats but this one is the best overall IMO to compare hitters. Defense is more difficult as the best measrement tools aren't widely provided on net so I go a lot on what I know from my exposure to baseball. Such as Jeter sucks as a shortstop and Yadier Molina is a god behind the plate.

AL first:

C - Joe Mauer MINN
    1b - Kevin Youkilis BOS
    2b - Ian Kinsler TEX
    3b - Evan Longoria TAM
    SS - Jason Bartlett TAM
    OF - Ben Zobrist TAM
    OF - Jason Bay BOS
    OF - Torii Hunter LAA

Serous mention goes to Texiera NYY, Jermaine Dye CWS, Branyon SEA and Morneau MINN.

OK, NL:

C - Yadier Molina STL
    1b - Albert Pujols STL (duh)
    2b - Chase Utley PHI
    3b - Pablo Sandoval SF
    SS - Hanley Ramirez FLA
    OF - Raul Ibanez PHI
    OF - Ryan Braun MIL
    OF - Justin Upton AZ

Honorable mention Prince Fielder MIL(who is simply stuck in the same position a the best hitter in baseball). For those wondering about Brad Hawpe COL I take stats from there and the new Yankee stadium and reduce them a bit for the fact they are both hitters parks.

Starting pitcher each league:

AL - Zack Greinke KAN
    NL - Tim Linecum SF

OK, and how about early rookie of the year prospects?

AL - Rickie Romero TOR SP
    Andrew Bailey OAK RP
    Nolan Reimold BAL OF

NL - Colby Rasmus STL OF

:D

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Not bad. I'll have to take a closer look later.

Ibanez has been the big surprise and my Phils are struggling without him.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Ibanez has been the big surprise and my Phils are struggling without him.
    I think his loss and Rollings playing like crap (for him) is your major concern. Remember, it is tough to repeat. Every series the other team wants to knock off the champ. And it takes luck to have everything align to win it all so don't count on it back to back.

I"m kinda hoping for some luck for my Cards. The parts are there. Just need a few more guys to have normal or career years.

Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    I think his loss and Rollings playing like crap (for him) is your major concern. Remember, it is tough to repeat. Every series the other team wants to knock off the champ. And it takes luck to have everything align to win it all so don't count on it back to back.

I"m kinda hoping for some luck for my Cards. The parts are there. Just need a few more guys to have normal or career years.
    We're lucky our division stinks. We've lost 15 of our last 18 games and should be about 8 games out but thankfully everyone else is playing like crap. Worse yet, we have the 2nd worst home record in the Majors. 2nd only to the Nationals who's winning percentage is below .300. Oddly enough we have the best road record at 26-15. This home stand leading up to the break is a make or break home stand.

If you took the Dodgers and Nationals out of the picture the NL would be a total toss-up at this point. Every other team is playing near .500. Near enough to have a second half surge and contend.

I still think the Phils are the cream of the NL east but ya got to play them out and see. Course, if we come to post season and the Cards play the Phils I'll get my Ryan Howard and Utley voodoo dolls out :D

The Dodgers are benefitting from playing in a mediocre division as well even though the Giants and Rockies are playing well. We went out there and split with them but we should have swept them because our bullpen melted down, we only split. If we get hot like we did last season, we'll be there again. The Cards play in the best division in baseball this season. Even the Pirates aren't out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    The Dodgers are benefitting from playing in a mediocre division as well even though the Giants and Rockies are playing well. We went out there and split with them but we should have swept them because our bullpen melted down, we only split. If we get hot like we did last season, we'll be there again. The Cards play in the best division in baseball this season. Even the Pirates aren't out of it.
    Last time I checked we were 2 1/2 games ahead in first place!! If only we can hold it.

Wish that we had tickets for the All Star. We'll just watch TV everyone else. When I was shopping at Macy's one of the sales clerks was saying that Bob Gibson was in the men's department and bought some stuff. She said that she wished she could afford the tickets. They're being scalped for a lot

SR isn't particularly a ball fan. If the parking weren't so bad (and expensive) in downtown STL, I'd love to go to the Allstar Fanfest. I've been watching on local TV about all the current and ex players who are at our convention center, signing autographs and having seminars for kids. If the grandkid were older, would invest in taking him there. It's $30 a ticket.I haven't gone as I know I won't be taking base stealing classes, practicing a slide or doing the batting challenges.

St Louis hopefully should be shown at its best. Everyone watch. :D

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Last time I checked we were 2 1/2 games ahead in first place!! If only we can hold it.

Wish that we had tickets for the All Star. We'll just watch TV everyone else. When I was shopping at Macy's one of the sales clerks was saying that Bob Gibson was in the men's department and bought some stuff. She said that she wished she could afford the tickets. They're being scalped for a lot

SR isn't particularly a ball fan. If the parking weren't so bad (and expensive) in downtown STL, I'd love to go to the Allstar Fanfest. I've been watching on local TV about all the current and ex players who are at our convention center, signing autographs and having seminars for kids. If the grandkid were older, would invest in taking him there. It's $30 a ticket.I haven't gone as I know I won't be taking base stealing classes, practicing a slide or doing the batting challenges.

St Louis hopefully should be shown at its best. Everyone watch. :D
    So what? You're saying you couldn't use some pointers on a hook slide from a major leaguer? That good are ya? :D

I was watching the HR derby. Lots of fans for something that doesn't count for anything. I think old Pujols felt the pressure for maybe the first time in his life. I have to admit at this point I am just hoping to get the game behind us and hope ALbery isn't injured or hasn't messed up his swing.

Hey njcardfan,

Looks like the Phils are about to add some pitching in Martinez. I don't know what is left in the tank but right now the Phils need to find more pitching or even their excellent starting 8 won't keep them in it.

Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    So what? You're saying you couldn't use some pointers on a hook slide from a major leaguer? That good are ya? :D

I was watching the HR derby. Lots of fans for something that doesn't count for anything. I think old Pujols felt the pressure for maybe the first time in his life. I have to admit at this point I am just hoping to get the game behind us and hope ALbery isn't injured or hasn't messed up his swing.

Hey njcardfan,

Looks like the Phils are about to add some pitching in Martinez. I don't know what is left in the tank but right now the Phils need to find more pitching or even their excellent starting 8 won't keep them in it.
    Not quite. :D I'd be crippled if I tried a hook slide.

There was a lot of discussion in STL about how they didn't want Pujols to participate. I guess we want to make him a bubble player, our version of the protected bubble kid.

It's non-stop coverage of the baseball activities here. I love it. :D