1. #1 Russian blogger sentenced for "extremist" post , "inciting hatred or enmity". 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Russian blogger sentenced for "extremist" post ,Convicted of "inciting hatred or enmity".

MOSCOW - A Russian man who described local police as "scum" in an Internet posting was given a suspended jail sentence on Monday for extremism, prompting bloggers to warn of a crackdown on free speech online.

Savva Terentiev, a 28-year-old musician from Syktyvkar, 1,515 kilometres (940 miles) north of Moscow, wrote in a blog last year that the police force should be cleaned up by ceremonially burning officers twice a day in a town square.

Convicted on charges of "inciting hatred or enmity", Terentiev was given a one-year suspended term on Monday, Russian news agencies reported.

Free speech campaigners said the ruling could create a dangerous precedent for free speech on the Internet, a vibrant forum for political debate in a country where the mainstream traditional media is deferential to authority.

"This was an absolutely unjustified verdict," Alexander Verkhovsky, director of the SOVA centre in Moscow, a non-governmental group that monitors extremism, told Reuters. "Savva for sure wrote a rude comment ... but this verdict means it will be impossible to make rude comments about anybody."

The verdict was discussed in Russian blogs on Monday. "I don't know now if I should be writing here or not," blogger Likershassi posted on one website.

"The fact that Terentiev got a conditional sentence is unimportant. What's important is the precedent," a blogger named Puffinus wrote.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080707/...russia_blogger

noonwitch
    I guess Ice T should be thankful he doesn't live in Russia.

The bloggers are just NOW wary of free speech crackdown. Wow maybe next they'll report that the last election in Russia was a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I guess Ice T should be thankful he doesn't live in Russia.
    That was my first though too. :D
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by ConJinx View Post
    The bloggers are just NOW wary of free speech crackdown. Wow maybe next they'll report that the last election in Russia was a sham.
    No, that would get them killed. Russia has an apallingly high accident fatality rate among journalists who are openly critical of Putin and his cronies. And by accident, the authorities tend to include things like gunshots, stabbings, ingestion of rare radioactive isotopes and other things which wouldl merit suspicion in places not run by former KGB apparatchiks.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!