1. #1 10 Things You Can Like About $4 Gas 
    Banned
    10 Things You Can Like About $4 Gas
    By Amanda Ripley

The world had long assumed that Americans were just unrepentant energy pigs. If gas prices went up, well, we kept our Explorers aimed at the horizon, and little changed. We truthfully didn't have lots of options. Unlike Europeans, we didn't have jobs we could bike to or convenient public transit. Gasoline prices never stayed high enough long enough to force those kinds of shifts in how we lived.

Now here we are. Gas prices are near $4 per gal., as no one needs to tell you, and they are likely to stay that way. Most of us still don't have the alternatives we need to adapt with grace, which means that many will adapt just by suffering. We will run out of gas on I-80, ease our minivans over to the shoulder and tell the kids everything is O.K. We'll fall behind on Visa bills to pay for gas so we can buy food made ever more expensive by energy costs.

More...
    Interesting, but what are the ramifications? For example:

1. Globalized Jobs Return Home: What does that imply for the Sam Walton business model? What does it imply for the costs of all the cheap crap he sells?

2. Sprawl Stalls: House prices rise the nearer you are to public transport. No more Pleasant Valley Sundays?

3. Four-Day Workweeks: Productivity? Will become like those damned Frenchies!!!

For the full list, go to the link.

4 day work week will take getting used to...can't imagine going back to working 10 - 12 hour days again
    It sounds attractive to some, but I'd have to adjust.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

There's nothing to like about high gas prices. The top 10 reasons to like it sound like the lib mantra.

It's one thing to get around on public transport. But for those folks without the well developed public transport, it is exceedingly difficult. I hear the younger sale reps at my company say they're falling further and further into debt, putting all their expenses on credit card to allow them to live until they get that next big deal. They're in a world of hurt if it doesn't materialize.

To me it's economic warfare where our entire world is changed so much without firing a shot. The terrorists no longer need to hijack a plane into a building to disrupt our economy. The OPEC folks only need to keep upping the gas prices.

Hope this isn't the Change that Obama keeps talking about.

Banned
    Those that live from pay day to pay day will have to tighten their belts. Spend less on eating out, going to the movies, charge less on their credit cards, etc. The pain so far is minor excluding the housing crunch and we are nowhere near a full blown recession like during the Carter years. If it were not for the housing crunch, the effects of 4 dollar gasoline would have a lessor effect.

I like 4 dollar a gallon gas and hope it goes up to 5 bucks. People might get pissed off enough to throw the bums out of office in DC. The Democraps have no answer except to tax the shit out of it. Europeans deal with high gas prices and we can deal with them also. Changing driving habits, taking public transportation, carpooling and conservation are things Americans can do in the short term but will resist to the bitter end.

I don't drive so it's just fine by me.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

But seriously. It seems people are already adapting their lifestyles to $4.00+ gas. I'm hearing less and less moaning about it. After the initial shock people just modified their spending habits and compensated. On a plus side, mass transit is getting more use.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    There's nothing to like about high gas prices. The top 10 reasons to like it sound like the lib mantra.
    So, if the referenced article is the "lib mantra," the table below must illustrate the lib vs con mantra:

BTW, after using the term "lib mantra," I would be careful about accusing others of oversimplifying.

It's one thing to get around on public transport. But for those folks without the well developed public transport, it is exceedingly difficult. I hear the younger sale reps at my company say they're falling further and further into debt, putting all their expenses on credit card to allow them to live until they get that next big deal. They're in a world of hurt if it doesn't materialize.
    If one positions oneself in a place/location/situation that they cannot afford in life, who's fault is that? Can you distinquish between that and the typical ridicule of the DUmmies who place themselves in analogous situations?

To me it's economic warfare where our entire world is changed so much without firing a shot. The terrorists no longer need to hijack a plane into a building to disrupt our economy. The OPEC folks only need to keep upping the gas prices.

Hope this isn't the Change that Obama keeps talking about.
    It's the very predictable realities of the world. All those posters, on this very board, who were saying two years ago that they owned their SUVs because they could are whining just like stuck babies (or DUmmies). There are, after all, amusing ironies in life.

Editor's note: Sorry about the obvious typos in the table. I had saved it as a jpeg prior to looking at the spelling

The best thing about $4 a gallon is that it isn't $5 a gallon.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.