Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What Does Your Car Stuff Say About You? 
    What Your Car Trunk Says About You
    Market Researcher Explores the Junk in People's Cars to Gather Consumption Information

By CHRIS WOODYARD
    USA TODAY
    LOS ANGELES, July 6, 2008

Wearing latex gloves, Kelley Styring picks through the interior of a Chevrolet Malibu like a CSI technician searching for clues.

What you have in your car and where you put it can help market researchers figure out design flaws.
    (Getty Images)The contents every candy wrapper, napkin or torn-up plastic foam cup is laid out on a sheet, logged and photographed as owner and paid volunteer Dennis Shaffier looks on. Passersby in the Northridge Fashion Center's garage glance nervously as if they'd come upon a crime scene.

They haven't. Styring, a market researcher, is on a seven-city swing to study what people carry around in their cars. Armed with her inventories and a survey of hundreds more car owners, she hopes to tell the auto and products makers sponsoring her work what they're doing right or wrong.

Do moist towelettes stay moist in a hot car? Where do people squirrel away all the extra house keys she keeps unearthing in cars?

And those "cup" holders? "Lots of things end up in cup holders," Styring says. She's found coins, a golf ball, gloves and an air freshener, to name a few.
    The article never does get around to disclosing what the junk in your car says about you but we can probably figure all that out for ourselves here in the Lounge.

So, what's in your car?

I have a blue sweater and 4 reusable grocery bags in my ride. (This in addition to the paperwork, jack, and garage door opener.)

ABC

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The article never does get around to disclosing what the junk in your car says about you but we can probably figure all that out for ourselves here in the Lounge.

So, what's in your car?

I have a blue sweater and 4 reusable grocery bags in my ride. (This in addition to the paperwork, jack, and garage door opener.)

ABC
    Whats the big deal ? Everything left in the car is the shortest way to dispose of something that you may need again.The house keys are because they were once locked out by forgeting their house keys on the kitchen table .The paper cups and napkins are a result of 'Anti_litter_Guilt' !One thing they seldom find are gloves in the glove compartment !

Power CUer
    I have an umbrella in my trunk, and that is all I keep in the car. My husband said he didn't want me to have a "purse on wheels" like other women do. I get into co-workers' cars when we go to lunch sometimes, and I'm amazed at the "collections" of crap in their cars.

Banned
    I keep a large towel in the back to protect against grocery spills. Nothing on the seats or floorboard.

I have the normal stuff I suppose: paperwork, tools, extra water, a map, 2 canvas bags (for groceries)...I also have a blanket that I had brought to a spring training game a few months ago. I suppose I could take that inside. But why bother? The car is so convenient. :D
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Oh Dear God...

Lessie...

In each: Survival duffel with 3 days worth of food for 2 grown ups and 2 kids. (MRE Entrees and side dish boxes, 50 hour candle, firestarter, multi-tool, lockblade knife, collapsable water bladder, canteen cup and odds and ends) Backpack water purifyer pump. Emergency ponchos and blankets for 4. Trauma kit with first aid stuff, pressure bandages, gloves, ect.. and packets of quick clot. Shovel. Battery operated emergency strobe light. Vaccuum sealed pistol with 2 magazines, holster and box of ammo. (Revolver with speedloaders in one car and Makarov in the other. Tucked in the spare tire wells) Tool kit. Emergency Locater Beacon in mine. 50' coil of rope. Hand sanatizer and wet wipes. LED Tac lights. Other odds and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Oh Dear God...

Lessie...

In each: Survival duffel with 3 days worth of food for 2 grown ups and 2 kids. (MRE Entrees and side dish boxes, 50 hour candle, firestarter, multi-tool, lockblade knife, collapsable water bladder, canteen cup and odds and ends) Backpack water purifyer pump. Emergency ponchos and blankets for 4. Trauma kit with first aid stuff, pressure bandages, gloves, ect.. and packets of quick clot. Shovel. Battery operated emergency strobe light. Vaccuum sealed pistol with 2 magazines, holster and box of ammo. (Revolver with speedloaders in one car and Makarov in the other. Tucked in the spare tire wells) Tool kit. Emergency Locater Beacon in mine. 50' coil of rope. Hand sanatizer and wet wipes. LED Tac lights. Other odds and ends.
    Sounds like you are ready for the invasion of America .Red Dawn redux !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Sounds like you are ready for the invasion of America .Red Dawn redux !
    Disaster relief has turned me into a functional paranoid about preperation. :D

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Disaster relief has turned me into a functional paranoid about preperation. :D
    It will last about a week.Then what ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    It will last about a week.Then what ?
    That's what the .357 and 9mm Makarov Fishing Poles are for, silly! :D

Seriously, it is just enough to last being stranded on the road for a couple of days. If we are enroute someplace and get shut down by an emergency or road closures, it's enough to stop gap until something better comes along.

The food and water stocks that we keep on hand in our house are designed to see us through three-four months. After that there are nitrogen stabilized seeds that will go into the ground if needs be.