Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Taking the Lord's name in vain... 
    Now, I'm a Catholic, and I pretty much live my live obeying the 10 Commandments, but one, in particular, has given me pause..

Do not take the Lord's name in vain...

My whole life I thought this meant to not say God Dammit.... But I spoke with a preacher lately who has told me that his interpretation of this means that you shall never call on the Lord to help you and think that your calling is in vain... Two totally differnt interpretations... "Don't curse when saying the Lord's name," as opposed to, "Never think that when you call on the Lord it's in vain.."

You thoughts?
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

They are related in interpretation. Every time you use one of the many names of God it is noted by God and his name should never be mentioned by anyone in a disrespectful manner. I use slang but it never contains a reference to Gods name.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They are related in interpretation. Every time you use one of the many names of God it is noted by God and his name should never be mentioned by anyone in a disrespectful manner. I use slang but it never contains a reference to Gods name.
    The Jews go extremes to avoid even partially dishonoring G*D'S holy name .One of the classic names of G*D is "Yahweh", "Yahweh" and "Jehovah".The Jews Use the name Adonais in daily worship .Jesus refered to his GOD as ABBA or father.

When most people invoke the name GOD as a so called curse they seem to be calling on GOD to curse someone or something and not cursing GOD Himself .

Limiting GODS power by not believing that he is capable of doing something falls into a lack of faith in GODS - omnificence and is not the same to me as cursing GOD holy name .
    !

Banned
    It would matter if there were a sky daddy floating in the sky above.

But since this is all make believe kids play ...it really doesn't matter.

Fuck god, he IS evil. The god of the bible ordered the slaughter and dismemberment of innocent infants.

If you think the slaugter and dismemberment of kids is somehow justified, then you are a sick fuck.

gator
    God understands and forgives me when I occasionally use his name to make a point. He knows I mean no disrespect to Him. He understands that some of his creations are damned. For instance, he has no problems when I use these terms:

Goddamn Yankees.

Goddamn Israelis.

Goddamn Terrorists.

Goddamn Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by satanica View Post

Fuck god, he IS evil. The god of the bible ordered the slaughter and dismemberment of innocent infants.

If you think the slaugter and dismemberment of kids is somehow justified, then you are a sick fuck.
    Fuck people like you who give Atheists like me a bad name.

Banned

If there is no sky daddy then how did the Universe come into being?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    If there is no sky daddy then how did the Universe come into being?
    LOL. So if I can't answer the giant question of how the universe started ...then by default it must have been made by an unseen sky god that is over looking us from his headquarters ?

Is that how your brain works ? ...If you don't understand how something works it must be the hand of god ?

Anyway, the answer is the universe came to be by a quantum flucuation that expanded (and is still expanding) to the universe we see today.

They were ugly and they cried to much and would have grown up just like you!

Banned
    LOL. So if I can't answer the giant question of how the universe started ...then by default it must have been made by an unseen sky god that is over looking us from his headquarters ?

Is that how your brain works ? ...If you don't understand how something works it must be the hand of god ?

Anyway, the answer is the universe came to be by a quantum flucuation that expanded (and is still expanding) to the universe we see today.
    Or be like you and fling poo at any person that is a believer?