Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ribs with Dr Pepper 
    gator
    Ribs for dinner this afternoon.

I very seldom cook ribs because there are several places nearby that do up hickory smoked ribs very well. I maybe only do it once a year.

I donít even have a smoker with an offset firebox.

However, I decided to do it today.

I donít have any pictures because my son (who is home on leave from the Army) took the camera to a friendís house yesterday and forgot to bring it home.

I cooked them on my R2D2 type smoker. It has an electric heating element and a water tray. It is not as good as a firewood smoker. After cooking for several hours I put them on the gas grill to give them a good sear.

A few things about ribs.

First of all I use spare ribs and not babybacks. Spare ribs have a better flavor and they are a whole lot cheaper.

Second of all there is a magic touch needed to cook good ribs. You do not want it to be fall off the bone because usually by that time the ribs are dried out. You want them to be tender but not dried out and it takes a little experience to know when you get to that point.

I will give you my secret recipe for good sauce. For many years I made my own from scratch but nowadays you can buy some sauce at the supermarket. I like Sweet Baby Rayís myself.

I have a good addition to the sauce. It is Dr Pepper. I take a large bottle of Dr. Pepper and I reduce it over medium heat to about one third of the original volume. I then add in the BBQ sauce and few dashes of hot sauce. It has great flavor and makes a great glaze. Try it sometimes but be sure to use regular and not diet Dr Pepper.

That sounds great! I suck at cooking ribs. Either over cooked or undercooked. I just can't get it right. I've tried everything and it's just one of those things I have a mental block at doing.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Interesting idea about the Dr. Pepper.

Does that smoker with the electric element cook low and slow, like around 225 degrees or 250? Do you wrap them in foil or anything?
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Interesting idea about the Dr. Pepper.

Does that smoker with the electric element cook low and slow, like around 225 degrees or 250? Do you wrap them in foil or anything?
    Yes, it will cook at 225 or so. It is a fair subsitute for a wood burning smoker. It is much better than a gas grill.

The Dr Pepper is great. When reduced it becomes sweet and the cherry flavor is enhanced. You can also do the same thing with root beer or even Coke.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I've heard about using Coke before but haven't tried it. Using soda just seems like it would make it too sweet for my liking.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    That sounds great! I suck at cooking ribs. Either over cooked or undercooked. I just can't get it right. I've tried everything and it's just one of those things I have a mental block at doing.
    Try wrapping the ribs in aluminum foil and in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour and 45 minutes. Remove the foil and finish them on the gas grill. They should be about right. They probably donít need to be on the grill for more than a half hour. Just watch them and make sure they donít get overcooked. If they fall off the bone then you cooked them too much.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I've heard about using Coke before but haven't tried it. Using soda just seems like it would make it too sweet for my liking.
    The reduced liquid is very sweet but Honey, I like things sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    The reduced liquid is very sweet but Honey, I like things sweet.
    For ribs, I like a sweet sauce too. A sweet sauce just goes perfectly with ribs. I don't get baby back either. I either get spare ribs or what is labeled as country style ribs which look like the end cuts off sides of ribs without the full rib bone.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Try wrapping the ribs in aluminum foil and in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour and 45 minutes. Remove the foil and finish them on the gas grill. They should be about right. They probably donít need to be on the grill for more than a half hour. Just watch them and make sure they donít get overcooked. If they fall off the bone then you cooked them too much.
    Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a shot next weekend... weather permitting. :)

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I'll give that a shot next weekend... weather permitting. :)
    Good advice. I have read that one of the thngs that tenderize ribs is cooking them at a lower temperature for la longer period of time as this allows collagen in the meat to break down.