Thread: Sunday Sojourn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Sunday Sojourn 
    Banned
    en France!!. Who cares what the weather is in the land of insurance salemen, measuring their lives in coffee spoons? The weather in Juan les Pins is a bit cloudy, but overall a good day for touring, if not for sunning. We're off to Aix en Provence today, for shopping and lunch on the Cours Mirabeau, then on to Avignon, site of the Papal Captivity. Perhaps, time permitting, we'll pay a visit to the Pope's New House and have a sip of his wine there. :D

Breathing the air in France, it's like awakening to real life again, after a six year nightmare of malls, interstates, and Levittowns. Traveling from village to village, one is struck by the unique character, flavors, and scents of each. All of which inevitably brings my thoughts around to retirement and, of course, the ...

TOTD: Where and in what manner will you retire? Will you simply enjoy the luxuries of your 30 year (now paid) fixed that you've spent a lifetime, like the Pharoahs of old, building into a masoleum reflecting your life and tastes, to be eventually buried, again like the Egyptians, with the artifacts of your life, your 50" Sony flat screen, Weber gas grill, and Jen Air range. Maybe, as a seeker of spiritual truths, you'll forsake family, friends, and fortune, and retreat from life, preparing your mental state for death, along with only your books (or your laptop and ipod).

Or, like the masses, perhaps you'll retire to Florida, burial ground for the fabled snowbird, to while your days away playing golf and bridge, baking in the tropical sun. Or, maybe, one last quest, to seek the truths you turned away from as a youth, looking for answers to questions that bother you so (but remember, the key to a successful quest is excellent luggage).

Or maybe it's a foreign land for you, fleeing the land of your birth in one last attempt to fit meaning to existence through observation of the different. Perhaps you'll spend your remaining days taking late breakfasts of cafe-au-laut and brioche in small hilltop villages...

And your afternoons, sipping pernod and playing petanque...

Whatever you chose, dare to eat that peach and perhaps the mermaids will sing for you.
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-01-2008 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    en France!!. Who cares what the weather is in the land of insurance salemen, measuring their lives in coffee spoons? The weather in Juan les Pins is a bit cloudy, but overall a good day for touring, if not for sunning. We're off to Aix en Provence today, for shopping and lunch on the Cours Mirabeau, then on to Avignon, site of the Papal Captivity. Perhaps, time permitting, we'll pay a visit to the Pope's New House and have a sip of his wine there. :D

Breathing the air in France, it's like awakening to real life again, after a six year nightmare of malls, interstates, and Levittowns. Traveling from village to village, one is struck by the unique character, flavors, and scents of each. All of which inevitably brings my thoughts around to retirement and, of course, the ...

TOTD: Where and in what manner will you retire? Will you simply enjoy the luxuries of your 30 year (now paid) fixed that you've spent a lifetime, like the Pharoahs of old, building into a masoleum reflecting your life and tastes, to be eventually buried, again like the Egyptians, with the artifacts of your life, your 50" Sony flat screen, Weber gas grill, and Jen Air range. Maybe, as a seeker of spiritual truths, you'll forsake family, friends, and fortune, and retreat from life, preparing your mental state for death, along with only your books (or your laptop and ipod).

Or, like the masses, perhaps you'll retire to Florida, burial ground for the fabled snowbird, to while your days away playing golf and bridge, baking in the tropical sun. Or, maybe, one last quest, to seek the truths you turned away from as a youth, looking for answers to questions that bother you so (but remember, the key to a successful quest is excellent luggage).

Or maybe it's a foreign land for you, fleeing the land of your birth in one last attempt to fit meaning to existence through observation of the different. Perhaps you'll spend your remaining days taking late breakfasts of cafe-au-laut and brioche in small hilltop villages...

And your afternoons, sipping pernod and playing petanque...

Whatever you chose, dare to eat that peach and perhaps the mermaids will sing for you.
    CW: Is anything simple with you? :p

TOTD: I'd like to think I'd remain in the same hemisphere...preferably somewhere tropical but who knows. Like Crockett said in the very last episode of Miami Vice when Tubbs asked him where he was going to go, after they both left Vice for good: "I dunno, somewhere farther south, where the drinks are cold and I don't know names of the players." (And yes, insert groan and eye-roll from Shannon)
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

TOTD: The only change for me when I retire is when I wake up in the morning I won't go to work.

I'm perfectly content in my house (as long as I'm in good enough health to take care of it and the yard) and it's location to my family and friends.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by CW
    TOTD: Where and in what manner will you retire?

Here comes LL's Sunday Sermon.

DON"T MAKE PLANS BECAUSE GOD CAN SURE CHANGE THEM!!

Five years ago I knew exactly what I was going to do at 60. Then I was given the surprise gift of Multiple Sclerosis. It changed everything. I am now unemployed, divorced (he was a champion!), living in a town I always hated (because I have support here), my sons are spread out all over the USA, my daughter is off to college in August.....NOTHING as I had planned.

But you know what? It's OK. Fortunately I travelled extensively when I was young and healthy, I love to read and study As much as I love working in the yard - I can live without it, I have many friends and a huge extended family. So it all worked out.

My Mom is living my dream life! She is in greyt health, just got back from New York. Last year she spent a month in Guatemala, the year before she cruised Russia. If the woman would just learn to carry a camera, I could be living vicariously through her!

I still want to own a home; maybe that can happen....
    :)

Power CUer
    Where and in what manner will you retire?

We're still thinking the Blue Ridge of Virginia or North Carolina; anywhere from Staunton down to Asheville. But that remains to be decided.

Our financial guy met with us last week and told us "in what manner" will be pretty good, based on our current investments.

And my father told me more last week than I've ever known before about what my "expectations" are - thanks to mother, who bought chunks of a few blue chips in 1978. For thirty years, they've been sitting there untouched, quietly splitting and reinvesting dividends. Whatever my worries are in future years, money will absolutely not be one of them. That's as guaranteed as it can be.

Library Lady is right - there are things we can control about our future, and things we cannot. Health is the number one thing on the list, and we're doing the traveling we can at this point in our lives.

So, CW, we may run into you in France one of these days, since it looks like we'll be able to go where we want, when we want!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    CW: Is anything simple with you? :p
    I think the life CW describes is elegantly simple. And very pleasant. :D

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think the life CW describes is elegantly simple. And very pleasant. :D
    The life he describes is indeed pleasant. However, it would be more pleasant for others if he wasn't quite so contemptuous of others who do not share his dream, but have simpler wants. Not everyone can afford to live that lifestyle. Sometimes it's more gracious to not denigrate others, but rather to be quietly grateful for what we have.

Like LL, I've found that life cannot be planned. Things often turn out much differently than we had anticipated. Life to me is a delightful surprise. Although SR loves Florida, I view it as God's waiting room. I enjoy our little piece of suburbia, with that dreaded word---diversity. There are a few retired couples, but children of all ages living here. I love hearing the babbling of happy little kids over the back fence.

Although I no longer have the large swimming pool in the back yard (as in my previous house), the nice larger grassy fenced in area for the dogs is delightful, as is the nice wooded view of the common grounds behind the house.

I agree with CW's accessment of the charm of small European towns. I prefer small towns in Wales and the outlying villages in the UK to London; prefer the charm of Salsburg and Innsbruck to Vienna. I will always remember Brugges, Belgium as one of the more delightful places in the world. But America is my home, even with its warts---shopping malls and all the things mentioned in the first post of the Sunday thread.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I overslept this morning and now I just can't wake up. I hate that.

TOTD: I'm already in Florida. I don't plan on dying here. I might move up to Georgia when I retire. DS likes the tropical climates though. We'll see. It's a loooong way off still.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

TOTD: No clue. It's too early to think about where. But I've lived in Phoenix for 29 years. Whose to say it won't be 99 years?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I plan to retire where I am. I live on a beautiful mountain with a nice view. I'm in the midle of the woods with US Forest Service land about twenty yards from my front door. Bears. Deer. Coyotes. Squirrels. Owls. A flock of noisy crows for comic relief. I like where I am. It is simple and I have plenty of things to do when and if I get to retire as planned.

Library Lady, I fully acknowledge the truth of what you say about the plans we make. Things can change so quickly. Yesterday a man was killed over on the lake when he was hit by a boat. A full amputation of one leg and a partial amputation of the other. A medevac healicopter came but they couldn't staunch the bleeding. Very sad. Life can turn on a dime.

And no, you wiseguys, it wasn't Benny Hinn out walking his duck.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!