Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Even sex offenders need a home. 
    The good folks in GA have one of the toughest positions when it comes to sex offenders. Being homeless and a sex offender doesn't mix. An offender has to have a permanent address so that the offender complies with GA's law about offenders staying 1000 feet from kids. Now, if an offender fails to register their address twice, they face a life sentence.
    A person (I just couldn't use the word, man) by the name of William James Santos is challenging the law.

I wouldn't have mentioned this nonsense except I read what his claim is and I couldn't resist. His attorney argued that this law criminalized homelessness and was CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT . :mad:

I don't care what the SCOTUS said, Louisiana had it right.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

I'm right there with you, Almost. I checked my address on the sex offender registry, there's like half a dozen living in my neighborhood I didn't know about. It sickens me to no end how people can continue to defend behavior like this. I guarantee most God fearing, peace loving Americans would be FAR from pacifistic if THEIR kid got molested.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    The good folks in GA have one of the toughest positions when it comes to sex offenders. Being homeless and a sex offender doesn't mix. An offender has to have a permanent address so that the offender complies with GA's law about offenders staying 1000 feet from kids. Now, if an offender fails to register their address twice, they face a life sentence.
    A person (I just couldn't use the word, man) by the name of William James Santos is challenging the law.

I wouldn't have mentioned this nonsense except I read what his claim is and I couldn't resist. His attorney argued that this law criminalized homelessness and was CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT . :mad:

I don't care what the SCOTUS said, Louisiana had it right.
    Looking at him, I'd have to say "Not in my neighborhood". Louisiana indeed had it right.

I can see the problem---they need an address and no one wants them in their neighborhood. I'm usually not big on government solutions, but perhaps the answer would be group homes or an apartment complex dedicated only to their residency. Think I'm going to check the registry and see if any are in my neighborhood.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Looking at him, I'd have to say "Not in my neighborhood". Louisiana indeed had it right.

I can see the problem---they need an address and no one wants them in their neighborhood. I'm usually not big on government solutions, but perhaps the answer would be group homes or an apartment complex dedicated only to their residency. Think I'm going to check the registry and see if any are in my neighborhood.

That's what they do with juvenile offenders, when they've completed their treatment at a locked place (depending on the crime and the level of violence involved). They have group homes or half-way houses for sex offenders. Most of them do something at that point to get themselves into the adult system, but some do end up changing, if they get caught young enough and before they have crossed the line into brute force type acts.

If they just crammed them feet first into wood chippers we wouldn't have these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    If they were actually rehabilitated before they are released we wouldn't have these problems.
    Fixed. :D

Folks forget that prison is supposed to have two purposes. One is punishment for crime, the other is rehabilitation from criminal activity. When dealing with sexual criminals, especially ones committing crimes against children, they should not be released until there is at least some evidence that they are no longer a danger to society.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

The perv may have a point. There are a couple of problems with the way we are doing it in terms of sex offenders. First, there are too many ways to become a "sex offender". Peeing in public, dating an underage girl when you are 6 months older, paying for a whore who lies about her age, etc. A lot of those people aren't pervs or child molesters.

Secondly, you have to be practical. You can't condemn someone to some kind of hovering existence because it's illegal for them to live anywhere. It's ridiculous that we have people living under bridges because it's illegal for them to live anywhere else. If you have served your sentence, that should be it.

I have no interest in defending actual perverts but we're doing it wrong right now. We need to rethink our approach to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    Fixed. :D

Folks forget that prison is supposed to have two purposes. One is punishment for crime, the other is rehabilitation from criminal activity. When dealing with sexual criminals, especially ones committing crimes against children, they should not be released until there is at least some evidence that they are no longer a danger to society.
    Okay genius.

Stop being a heterosexual.

Or if you are gay, stop being a homosexual.

I'm sure we can get you therapy to help with this.

People who engage in predatory sex acts with children are hardwired in their responses to stimuli.
    You. Can't. "Cure". Them.

And killing the motherfuckers surely insures that they are "No longer a danger to society."

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Okay genius.

Stop being a heterosexual.

Or if you are gay, stop being a homosexual.

I'm sure we can get you therapy to help with this.

People who engage in predatory sex acts with children are hardwired in their responses to stimuli.
    You. Can't. "Cure". Them.

And killing the motherfuckers surely insures that they are "No longer a danger to society."
    As Ginger pointed out, there a lot of ways to get the sex offender label even the pedephil label with actually being a sex offender or pedephil.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    As Ginger pointed out, there a lot of ways to get the sex offender label even the pedephil label with actually being a sex offender or pedephil.

Note I said "Predatory Sex Acts against a child."

IE: Child rapists and serial molestors of children. Not some 18 year old who gets caught banging his 16 or 17year old girlfriend.