Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LeBlanc funeral puts Harper in communion controversy 
    Archbishop of Moncton says he is not looking for any apologies
    Last Updated: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 | 9:18 PM AT
    CBC News

Prime Minister Stephen Harper should not have accepted communion at Roméo LeBlanc's state funeral in Memramcook, N.B., the archbishop of Moncton said Wednesday.

Msgr. André Richard said the church law is clear, but he is not looking for any apologies or explanations from Harper or the Prime Minister's Office.

Cameras were rolling when communion hosts were offered to people attending the funeral for the former governor general on July 3.

Harper, who is an evangelical Protestant, accepted the host but appeared to put it in his program or his pocket, according to some onlookers.

However, a review of videotape shot at the event was inconclusive, and the Prime Minister's Office says Harper consumed the wafer, in accordance with Catholic law.

A PMO spokesman, Dimitri Soudas, said the camera didn't show the whole story.

CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm a protestant. I don't take communion in a catholic church. I don't take communion in any church I don't have a family or personal history with, in general, but the catholic church does have specific requirements that I don't meet. I do have a history somewhat with the episcopalian church (grandparents), but I don't take communion there because it's usually not offered at weddings and funerals.

My church doesn't really do communion often, mostly on Maunday Thursday and a couple of healing services during the year. I take it at UCC churches, because I was confirmed in one. I also take it at UMC churches, because I was baptized in one and I attended one in college.

To tell the truth I find closed communion to be contrary to the gospel.

Power CUer
    I've received at Catholic churches on the infrequent occasions that I attend them. I prefer to do it in the Episcopal church because I'm Episcopalian, but also for hygienic reasons - any Catholic church I've been to still wants people to drink directly from the same cup, and discourages intinction. Too much old lipstick and backwash, for me.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1772504

It's just another left wing smear campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've received at Catholic churches on the infrequent occasions that I attend them. I prefer to do it in the Episcopal church because I'm Episcopalian, but also for hygienic reasons - any Catholic church I've been to still wants people to drink directly from the same cup, and discourages intinction. Too much old lipstick and backwash, for me.
    You realize that there is a blessing in drinking from the cup - right? And the age groups that backwash are generally bared from communion at most churches . . . just say'n.

I've gone to RCC for communion when there was no other choice but I have to say I don't like to - not because of their stupid rules - but because I so rarely find a RCC that is not dead.
    Last edited by PoliCon; 07-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You realize that there is a blessing in drinking from the cup - right?
    Not really. My tradition recognizes both forms of communion - intinction and separate consumption of the elements - as equally valid.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Not really. My tradition recognizes both forms of communion - intinction and separate consumption of the elements - as equally valid.
    OH I'm not saying that tincture is invalid - I'm just pointing out that there is a blessing in drinking from the cup.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    OH I'm not saying that tincture is invalid - I'm just pointing out that there is a blessing in drinking from the cup.
    What is it? I may need all the help I can get.

What is it? I may need all the help I can get.
    1 Corinthians 10:16 It's the cup of blessings.