Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Power CUer
    I do partake from the cup, by dipping the host in it. And in that passage, it says we share the same loaf - which is probably not the case in your church any more than it is in mine.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I do partake from the cup, by dipping the host in it. And in that passage, it says we share the same loaf - which is probably not the case in your church any more than it is in mine.
    You partake of the contents of the cup - but not the cup itself. Anyhow - do as you like - I'm just trying to get you blessed :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

What is that thing about communion? Transmogrification? Transsubstantiation?

Damn, and I used to be a Catholic.

rm -rf obama*

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    What is that thing about communion? Transmogrification? Transsubstantiation?

Damn, and I used to be a Catholic.

As Tom Lehrer said in his song "The Vatican Rag" :

"Two, four, six, eight,
    Time to transubstantiate!"
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    We need Ginger's input on this. She's a good Anglican lady, but drinking straight from the communion cup would have to make her OCD needle go off the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    You realize that there is a blessing in drinking from the cup - right? And the age groups that backwash are generally bared from communion at most churches . . . just say'n.

I've gone to RCC for communion when there was no other choice but I have to say I don't like to - not because of their stupid rules - but because I so rarely find a RCC that is not dead.
    I visited a pretty cool RCC church once in Kalamazoo, when I was a student. It was right across the street from WMU, I think it was Second Reformed Church. The people there were very nice-I was participating in an IVCF Bible Study conference we had at their church, and we stayed overnight with church members in the community. The "adults" were very involved with us during the service on Sunday, and very supportive on Friday and Saturday. It was my first experience leading a Bible Study group, and the host family was very supportive of me, and even prayed with me the morning before I started the study.

I always respected the RCC for their stand against Apartheid in the 1980s. This was a big issue at WMU when I was there, because the University had investments in South Africa. It's important for more conservative christians to let it be known that social justice isn't just a liberal church issue.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    We need Ginger's input on this. She's a good Anglican lady, but drinking straight from the communion cup would have to make her OCD needle go off the dial.
    Pretty much. My church is Anglican and we generally receive the host from the priest's hands straight on the tongue (kneeling, of course).

The Catholics don't have any separate or special blessing involving the wine chalice that is additional to communion itself to my knowledge. Now, if a Catholic is indisposed to receive, they can cross their arms over their heart and receive a blessing instead of communion.

Back to the topic: the evangelical guy should have never approached the altar during communion anyway. He should have remained in the pew and collected his thoughts. There's no harm or disgrace in observing but not participating in the sacraments of other churches. Communion in the Catholic church isn't a token gesture - it's a deeply supernatural act that requires spiritual preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I visited a pretty cool RCC church once in Kalamazoo, when I was a student. It was right across the street from WMU, I think it was Second Reformed Church. The people there were very nice-I was participating in an IVCF Bible Study conference we had at their church, and we stayed overnight with church members in the community. The "adults" were very involved with us during the service on Sunday, and very supportive on Friday and Saturday. It was my first experience leading a Bible Study group, and the host family was very supportive of me, and even prayed with me the morning before I started the study.

I always respected the RCC for their stand against Apartheid in the 1980s. This was a big issue at WMU when I was there, because the University had investments in South Africa. It's important for more conservative christians to let it be known that social justice isn't just a liberal church issue.
    OH I don't mean dead like in lack of people - I mean spiritually dead. As in God hasn't been there or welcome there in YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Pretty much. My church is Anglican and we generally receive the host from the priest's hands straight on the tongue (kneeling, of course).

The Catholics don't have any separate or special blessing involving the wine chalice that is additional to communion itself to my knowledge. Now, if a Catholic is indisposed to receive, they can cross their arms over their heart and receive a blessing instead of communion.

Back to the topic: the evangelical guy should have never approached the altar during communion anyway. He should have remained in the pew and collected his thoughts. There's no harm or disgrace in observing but not participating in the sacraments of other churches. Communion in the Catholic church isn't a token gesture - it's a deeply supernatural act that requires spiritual preparation.
    There are evangelicals who believe - as I do - in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The RCC does not deny the alter based on belief or disbelief in the Eucharist - they deny the alter based on church membership and that alone - as do pretty much all churches that have closed communion. :(

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    There are evangelicals who believe - as I do - in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. The RCC does not deny the alter based on belief or disbelief in the Eucharist - they deny the alter based on church membership and that alone - as do pretty much all churches that have closed communion. :(
    It's their church and their rules. Truthfully, most Catholics probably shouldn't be receiving communion at any given time. I forget what the exact percentage is but hardly any Catholics go to Reconciliation anymore and very few do so even once a month. If the cradle Catholics can't seem to pull off that State of Grace thing for an hour a week, you can see why the Church is leery of non-Catholics barging up to the altar.