1. #1 UK: National Trust urges city dwellers to grow vegetables on window sills 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "Sounds like WW2 is back in the UK!"

The dream of self-sufficiency popularised in the 1970s comedy is not beyond the reach of people living in Britain's five million flats, the organisation says.
    Lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot and a variety of herbs can all thrive on windox sills allowing those without gardens and allotments to join the "grow your own" trend.

Kingston Lacy, a country mansion in Dorset, is one of the Trust properties where windox boxes have been installed. At other properties, hanging baskets have been converted to grow vegetables.

The National Trust has calculated that the nation's windowsills could provide the equivalent of 600 acres of farming land, producing tonnes of cheap, locally-sourced food a year.

The "vertical vegetable garden"campaign is part of the trust's drive to encourage more people to get involved with the growing and preparation of food. It has already given over land on its properties across the country to be create 1,000 allotments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...dow-sills.html

It's not such a bad idea. Poor people eat a lot of junk because fresh produce is expensive.

Some of the neighborhoods in Detroit have community gardens. I drive by a nice one on my way home every day. They grow corn, peppers, cukes, and so on.

When I was a kid, my parents would try to plant vegetables every year. My mom's flowers would do great, but all the suburban wildlife would eat the veggies-we had rabbits, muskrats, raccoons, and so on.

Power CUer
    Ginger should be into this. Didn't she get one of those vertical tomato-grower thingies, "As Seen on TV"? :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Ginger should be into this. Didn't she get one of those vertical tomato-grower thingies, "As Seen on TV"? :)
    Don't remind me. Luckily, the conventional tomatoes are doing just fine.

I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of this project is. I'm all for growing veggies but a windowsill garden is strictly a hobby - not a path to self-sufficiency or changed eating habits.

Power CUer
    The upside down tomato thingie didn't work? :eek:
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

"There's a sucker born every minute."
    David Hannum

The upside down tomato thingie didn't work? :eek:
    Oh, it would work all right. Several of my neighbors have them and they do just fine. They do fine because they are hanging from old unused clothesline poles sunk in concrete. Those suckers weigh about 50 pounds when they're loaded up. :mad:

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    "There's a sucker born every minute."
    David Hannum
    P.T. Barnum ?