1. #1 72 Year Old Attempts IVF For Seventh Time. 
    This woman of 72 spent 30,000 on six courses of IVF... and she's STILL trying for a baby
    By Luke Salkeld
    Last updated at 10:27 AM on 14th July 2009

Comments (159) Add to My Stories
    At the age of 72, she is old enough to know better.

But it seems Jenny Brown cannot be deflected from her determination to give birth. Miss Brown, who has never had a long-term relationship, has already spent 30,000 in the United States and Italy trying to conceive and is now prepared to travel abroad again to clinics that still offer IVF treatment to women her age.

Jenny Brown cannot be deflected from her determination to give birth

If she is successful - with what will be her seventh course of IVF - she will become the oldest mother in the world.

Critics point out that she will also be old enough to be the child's great-grandmother. They also say she could leave any child she had orphaned as an infant. But Miss Brown replied: 'Any mother can die at any age. Look at Jade Goody. 'I hope to live to 100, but I'll ask one of my younger friends to be a guardian in case.'

She added: 'People ask me how a child would feel having a mum of my age. I hope they'll find it special. I'll tell them I tried for a long time, and how wonderful it was to have them. 'I know it'll be hard work. It'll change my life completely and I'm prepared for that.'

Miss Brown, who lives in a threebedroom flat in London, said she had always wanted a child but spent her younger years devoted to academia, achieving degrees in medical sciences and zoology. 'I'd always had it in the back of my mind that when the time was right I'd like to have a child,' she said.
    'But my studies meant that children kept getting delayed. The right time finally came in my early fifties and since then I've been attempting - and failing - with IVF.'

She added: 'I never married. I saw so many friends' marriages fail that I decided to stay single and raise a child myself. I had a few relationships but nothing serious.'

After first advertising for a sperm donor 20 years ago, Miss Brown initially tried to have a child using her own eggs, but the attempt failed as doctors said the eggs had deteriorated because of her age.
    Since then, using savings and the income she makes from renting out five rooms in a house she owns, Miss Brown has had six IVF treatments, costing around 5,000 each, in Italy and America.

Now she is appealing for women aged between 20 and 35 to come forward as possible egg donors as she does not want to use a surrogate.

She explained: 'It's important that I carry the baby myself because I believe that even if I get pregnant with a donated egg I will pass genetic material on to the baby while I carry it in the womb.
    'I believe the baby will look more like me that way.'
    This is nature's way of saying, "FAIL".

Daily Mail

On the bright side - linda# is looking better than usual in that picture . . . .

:D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Perky!

This is serious (okay, the jokes are funny). Can you imagine being that child, should she succeed? You will be forced to see her as pitiful and worthy of virtually unconditional love even though she is simply not capable of physically/emotionally mothering you.

Grandparents don't generally attempt to act like young parents. They are okay with saying, "get off the lawn" and "I'm taking a nap - shut up for a while". This is completely different. Imagine going to your mother's funeral before middle school or having to learn to care for her most intimate needs as a young teen.

Having done all of that at a much more appropriate time, I can't see it for a very young person. :(

It is wrong plain and simple. The child also has a greater risk of birth defects. Some people when they get older will try anything to get their youth back!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is wrong plain and simple. The child also has a greater risk of birth defects. Some people when they get older will try anything to get their youth back!
    10 to 1 says she's just looking to get the record for the oldest woman to give birth . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    On the bright side - linda# is looking better than usual in that picture . . . .
    A surefire way to tell it's not me..... I didn't want kids when I could have had them the "normal" way, so why would I go out of my way to get one now? And I'd never let one inside that new car.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    10 to 1 says she's just looking to get the record for the oldest woman to give birth . . . .
    Well, it looks like she's got a shot at the title:

Oldest woman to give birth dies, leaving twins

By DANIEL WOOLLS, Associated Press Writer Daniel Woolls, Associated Press Writer 27 mins ago

MADRID A Spanish woman who deceived a U.S. fertility clinic about her age and become the oldest woman to give birth has died at 69, leaving behind 2-year-old twins, newspapers reported Wednesday.

Maria del Carmen Bousada gave birth in December 2006 after telling a clinic in Los Angeles that she was 55, the facility's maximum age for single women receiving in-vitro fertilization. Guinness World Records said the 66-year-old was the oldest on record to give birth and the case ignited fierce debate over how much responsibility fertility clinics have over their patients.

Bousada told an interviewer at the time that the Pacific Fertility Center did not ask her for identification, and maintained that because her mother had died at 101, she stood a good chance of living long enough to raise her children.

Dr. Vicken Sahakian, director and owner of the clinic, said Bousada falsified her birth date on documents from Spain.

When he learned of the deception, "I figured something might happen and wind up being a disaster for these kids, and unfortunately I was right," he said.

It's easy for women to lie to their doctors, he said.

"We don't ask for passports, obviously," Sahakian said. "When is the last time you went to a doctor and he asked you for a birth certificate? We're not detectives here."

Bousada's brother told the local newspaper Diario de Cadiz that she had died but he did not disclose the cause. The newspaper said, without citing a source, that Bousada had been diagnosed with a tumor shortly after giving birth.

Sahakian said he implanted the Spanish woman with a younger woman's eggs and donated sperm, using hormones to "rejuvenate" her uterus with hormone therapy after she had been in menopause for 18 years.

The hormone treatment lasted three weeks. Sahakian said he did not believe that increased the woman's cancer risk.

"Nothing she did (to get pregnant) caused her illness," he said.

The brother, Ricardo Bousada, told the Barcelona-based newspaper El Periodico de Catalunya that he had exclusively sold details of his sister's death to an unidentified television program and that the proceeds would go to looking after his sister's twin boys, Pau and Christian.

Repeated calls by The Associated Press to Ricardo Bousada's residence in the southern province of Cadiz went unanswered. A woman who answered the phone at a number listed for another brother, Jose Luis Bousada, declined to comment. Her death was also reported by the national newspapers El Mundo

There was no word on who would raise the twins. Bousada had once said she would look for a younger man to help her raise them.