1. #1 Newspapers To Charge For Online Content. 
    Financial Times editor says most news websites will charge within a year
    Building payment platforms is one of key challenges facing news organisations, says Financial Times editor Lionel Barber

Lionel Barber tells Matt Wells why newspapers' online business models need to change - and the age of the free internet is over Link to this audio The Financial Times editor, Lionel Barber, has predicted that "almost all" news organisations will be charging for online content within a year.

Barber said building online platforms that could charge readers on an article-by-article or subscription basis was one of the key challenges facing news organisations.

"How these online payment models work and how much revenue they can generate is still up in the air," Barber said in a speech at at a Media Standards Trust event at the British Academy last night.

"But I confidently predict that within the next 12 months, almost all news organisations will be charging for content."

Barber is the latest leading executive to suggest the newspaper industry has to radically overhaul its existing business model.

Rupert Murdoch said in May that he expected his News Corporation newspaper websites to start charging for access within a year. The News Corp chairman and chief executive said free newspaper websites were a "flawed" business model.

Murdoch's rival, the New York Times, could begin charging for online news within the next three to four weeks.
    Good luck with that.

Guardian

Banned
    That's going to help their bottom line. Not.

7 or 8 years ago, my moms cleaning lady said that the NYT called her up selling subscriptions. She told them she was poor and could not afford it. They said they would send it to her anyway free of charge. That's a hell of a way to run a business.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    The Atlanta Journal or Constitution or whatever it is was out statewide paper in Georgia. Well, they have decreased their circulation to many, maybe most Georgia counties. They no longer cover northeast Georgia and I have heard their circulation is down to the 'metro' area.

They no longer cover or sell in most Georgia counties. Now they want to charge to see the paper on line.

Like Ginger said, good luck with that.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

everyone will switch over to the free content news sites.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

The AJC ( The Atlanta Journal Constitution ) doesn't come to the NW either, and i have alot of friends down at Kenn. state and they say that they only deliver to certain areas of Cobb county..... I hope it goes under.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by revolutionist15 View Post
    The AJC ( The Atlanta Journal Constitution ) doesn't come to the NW either, and i have alot of friends down at Kenn. state and they say that they only deliver to certain areas of Cobb county..... I hope it goes under.
    I call it the Atlanta Disappointment and Constipation
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!