This is a good one...
Silent3 (1000+ posts) Fri Jul-17-09 01:14 AM
You laugh at my conspiracy theory, therefore...
I'm sure I could think of more, but that's what comes to mind off the top of my head as the typical sort of response when, oh, someone here laughs at freeper "the moon landings were a hoax!" CTers, and (no big surprise) it turns out DU has its own contingent for the same wackiness.
- You must believe EVERYTHING you see on television (you gullible idiot, you).
- You must believe no politician or corporation has ever done ANYTHING wrong (you naive pasty, you).
- You must believe that (list a bunch of well-known, not-at-all controversial instances of government or corporate wrong-doing) never happened!
- You obviously have something against "just asking questions" (you strident imposer of conformity, you).
- You don't understand that because you can't answer every real or imagined possible doubt I can raise about the "official story" that my version of events therefore has to be correct (even if it can't come anywhere close to meeting the standards of proof I expect for the "official story") -- you're living in denial!
- You're oppressing me!
- You're a sell-out!
- You're in on it!
The "fallacy of the excluded middle" appears to play a major role in conspiratorial thinking.
It just gets better... :D