Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "Pro-Homosexual Denominations Lose Numbers,for which there will be wrath from God ."

Interesting wording. It says that God is mad at them for losing membership.
    Which gives the corollary that God is happy when people to go to church.

What a shocking proposition. :eek:

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "Pro-Homosexual Denominations Lose Numbers,for which there will be wrath from God ."

Interesting wording. It says that God is mad at them for losing membership.
    Rather for accepting unrepentant Homosexuals as members !

Power CUer
    Well, no, the message the structure of that headline sends is that God doesn't want THOSE churches to lose membership, which probably wasn't what the OP intended. :p

I've read in the Bible that God wants us to love and worship him, but I've never read that he wants us to go to church, specifically. Can you point me to that reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    I think it has more to do with people getting tired of all the bullshit that comes along with organized religion.
    Interesting. There is much truth in what you suggest. Jesus was a huge enemy to organized religion. They hated, dispised and killed Him because He was such a threat to them. Judaism became Legalism and Ritualism. One of Jesus' first acts of His public ministry was to overturn the tables of the money changers. He went right into the middle of the fight. He was no fan of organized religion.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganForRus View Post
    So Jesus was a bigot?
    By contemporary standards... but living in the time he lived in who could blame him? Not sure what the excuse is for people of today, though.

Vepr
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Interesting. There is much truth in what you suggest. Jesus was a huge enemy to organized religion. They hated, dispised and killed Him because He was such a threat to them. Judaism became Legalism and Ritualism. One of Jesus' first acts of His public ministry was to overturn the tables of the money changers. He went right into the middle of the fight. He was no fan of organized religion.
    I am agnostic. I am not sure what to believe but I am not about to tell others what they believe is BS because I just don't know. That being said I agree with you. I was raised Catholic and as a teen I was always thinking "I can't believe this is what Jesus wanted." I have gone to the Methodist, Baptist, and Episcopal churches and come away thinking the same thing. I have neighbors trying to turn me into a Mormon on one side and Lutheran on the other. :eek: :)

There are a lot of reasons why mainstream denominations are in a tailspin. A large part of it is because they have all lost their distinctives and they have attempted to compete with secular interests instead of remaining at a bit of a distance. Prior to 1960 or so, most churches saw corporate prayer as worship, not entertainment.

Churches that still engage in worship look and feel a lot different from entertainment churches. They are reverential and intimate (even in huge buildings) and they inspire human beings to consider their lives from God's point of view, not from a therapist's point of view.

In entertainment churches the emphasis is always on God as a sort of a divine drinking buddy. He never gets on your case if you've had a few too many and he'll never mention that blonde you were talking to all night. You can tell him anything and he'll never judge you. You can skip the bar for years at time and when you drop back in, your good buddy is warming the same bar stool like you'd been there all along.

Of course, it's way more convenient to just go to a bar with a human drinking buddy instead of getting up on Sunday morning so that's what a lot of people do. ;)

Well, no, the message the structure of that headline sends is that God doesn't want THOSE churches to lose membership, which probably wasn't what the OP intended. :p

I've read in the Bible that God wants us to love and worship him, but I've never read that he wants us to go to church, specifically. Can you point me to that reference?
    Most headlines are to garner attention nothing more and If you choose to be picky so be it.
    He also wants us to 'keep his word' !

In your world of precise meanings does that mean to keep his word as in to do what he commands ?
    They should have had you 'proof read' the scriptures for errors before they were released !

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    By contemporary standards... but living in the time he lived in who could blame him? Not sure what the excuse is for people of today, though.
    For the record 'do you believe that he is the son of GOD' ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vepr View Post
    I am agnostic. I am not sure what to believe but I am not about to tell others what they believe is BS because I just don't know. That being said I agree with you. I was raised Catholic and as a teen I was always thinking "I can't believe this is what Jesus wanted." I have gone to the Methodist, Baptist, and Episcopal churches and come away thinking the same thing. I have neighbors trying to turn me into a Mormon on one side and Lutheran on the other. :eek: :)
    Tough position, don't become a Morpheran!:D Seriously, I don't like the legalism and ritualism and was also a Catholic at one time. I cannot believe this is what is important in Christianity. I attend a church and am a member. I refuse though to be Spiritually identified by a denomination's doctrine. I am a Christian that has certain beliefs on those doctrine, but that has never been the primary thing.