Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The big Cheese
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Dull, hazy, and muggy here in the Insurance Capital. Gonna work until 3:00 and then head off to the pub, as one of the cutie bartenders is on today. Which, of course, brings me to the ...

TOTD: A Cigar Bar, featuring live piano, a full complement of single malts, a selection of wines from around the world, and pistachios out of the shell (TOTH to Michael J Fox :D). I'd only hire very attractive women as waitresses (fully, but tastefully sexily clothed) and the bartenders would wear white shirts, black ties, and black suspenders. As to foods, I, like asdf, would serve only small plates of items like Spanish tapas, French pate, pear/stilton/walnut salads, shirimp egg rolls, etc.

The decor should be muted, primarily tones of dark green, burgundy, and grey, with the lighting dimmed as well. Couches and comfortable chairs, along with a dark oak bar with lots of glass behind. I would probably model the decor on that of the Green Bar in the Chesterfield Hotel, London, with a bit less of the Brit look...

The best location would be in an expensive tourist area, rather than a big city. The US might be a problem, not because of the cigars (you can generally get an exemption for cigar bars), but because of the waitress appearance requirements. Perhaps on the Croisette in Cannes, perhaps Portofino.

My job? In charge of meet and greet as well as quality control. For the latter, I would need to sample all the wares to make sure they were up to the requisite quality. :D

That place looks awsome.
    Do they have a compliment of fine pipe tobacco?
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Patent Member
    The best location would be in an expensive tourist area, rather than a big city. The US might be a problem, not because of the cigars (you can generally get an exemption for cigar bars), but because of the waitress appearance requirements. Perhaps on the Croisette in Cannes, perhaps Portofino.
    ...unless your waitresses will be wearing sleeveless tops or anything shorter than full-length skirts or pants.

TOTD: large floating bar and grill anchored in Islamorada. Serving nothing but premium draft beers from all over the world. Gourmet sandwiches and fried bar food. Every evening we'd set sail to int'l waters to chill with kick ass live rock bands. I'd own it so no one could tell me what I can and can't do in my place. If hurricanes came near the keys I'd charge a little extra, sail through clear seas and throw the ultimate hurricane party. Clothing optional after 7 miles.

Goldwater
    CW, I want to be your partner. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Today will be repeat of yesterday in terms of weather. I am feeling moody and distracted for no apparent reason and this annoys me.

TOTD: You have the financing and skills to open any kind of restaurant anywhere in the continental United States. You can work in any position in the restaurant from hands-off owner to fry cook.

What kind of a restaurant is it? Where is it located? What do you do there?
    Great topic, Ginger! I love to cook and I like to think I am fairly good at it. Lately, one of my favorite shows to watch is Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives on the Food Network. Pretty cool show. I would love to open a little Florida-Keys style joint somewhere on the Gulf Coast (well, ideally IN the Keys but I'd need a helluva lot more dough than I normally would just to afford to live there and run a business). Sandwiches and burgers, seafood-y type stuff and also some entrees, too. (In fact, if anyone has eaten at Doc Fords on Sanibel/Captiva, this is what I referring to) A bar, of course. My boss at work is a fellow writer and Keys person and loves Hemingway. I told him we should open up a Hemingway-type place with one corner of the place filled with Hemingway novels, Florida-influenced books by Hiaasen, Dorsey, et all, and the rest of the place could be the bar and grille. Oh yeah...OF COURSE because Edward Lee lives in Florida now we'd just HAVE to have all his books, too. I just love how little "mom and pop" type or family owned places like those featured on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives flourish locally and develop a very loyal, large following by its patrons.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    That place looks awsome.
    Do they have a compliment of fine pipe tobacco?
    The bar at the Chesterfield is probably my favorite bar in the world (and I've been in more than one). Sitting on those very stools was where I had my last drink with probably the most beautiful and most ruthless woman I've known in my life (and I've known more than one).

In many ways, it's exactly the bar I would own, excepting it's not a cigar bar. There is a bar close by (on the other (north) side of Oxford Street) that is a cigar bar with many of the characteristics I've described (albeit no pipe tobacco :D). However, whenever I'm in London I always head to the Chesterfield (hope springs eternal, as they say).

Oh....and I'd be owner and part-time cook. Shannon would occasionally bartend. Tristan would be in the back washing dishes. :p
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Oh....and I'd be owner and part-time cook. Shannon would occasionally bartend. Tristan would be in the back washing dishes. :p
    Ummm, yeah, no. I'd be hanging out at CW's place.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

The big Cheese
    The bar at the Chesterfield is probably my favorite bar in the world (and I've been in more than one). Sitting on those very stools was where I had my last drink with probably the most beautiful and most ruthless woman I've known in my life (and I've known more than one).

In many ways, it's exactly the bar I would own, excepting it's not a cigar bar. There is a bar close by (on the other (north) side of Oxford Street) that is a cigar bar with many of the characteristics I've described (albeit no pipe tobacco :D). However, whenever I'm in London I always head to the Chesterfield (hope springs eternal, as they say).
    Dont get me wrong, I love a good cigar but I smoke them rarely, I do love a good pipe ever evening after dinner.
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafod View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I love a good cigar but I smoke them rarely, I do love a good pipe ever evening after dinner.
    I smoke probably 3-4 cigars a month, always with a scotch. I've tried a pipe, but never been able to adapt to what is to me the harshness of the inhale. But, there's always time in life to develop new habits. :D