here_is_to_hope (1000+ posts) Sun Jul-19-09 12:05 PM
I ate out of a trash can yesterday...
The wife, child and I went to a local waterpark for some cooling off, on the way in, we finished off a can of Coke so I stashed the can in order to grab it on the way out (its worth a nickel).
A do-gooder picked up my can and tossed it in the trash can so I went digging for it.
I found my can-along with two other cans and came across a Burger King bag full of some of kind breakfast croissant things.
There were 8 of them in the bag along with the receipt showing they were purchased at 1435, I found them at 1550...still warm.
12.00 and some one threw them away.
I ate three of them, shared two with a squirrel and two went to my dog.
I gave the last one to a raccoon last night.
Saddens me that in this land of so much hunger and want that some people will buy and then toss such thing.
I am not so poor as to eat out of trash cans any more but I remember, back in the day how a score like this would have made my week.
http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6101943http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x6101943troubledamerican (430 posts) Sun Jul-19-09 02:37 PM
Response to Original message
12. Top 5 Reasons NOT to eat from trash
I have been homeless. I have eaten from trash cans.
Here is what I learned:
Rejected items are placed in garbage cans for a reason, very often.
Reasons NOT to eat from trash:
(1) The first croissant was found with pieces of broken glass in it. The others were trashed as a precaution.
(2) The first croissant tasted like oven cleaner, which it probably fell in a patch of. The others were trashed.
(3) The first croissant contained a dead cockroach, or a living one. The others were trashed.
(4) The first croissant had a dirty boot-print on the inside of the wrapper. The others were trashed.
(5) The first croissant had rancid meat product, or human hair, or human fluids angrily put there by an employee.
There's very often a reason why useful-looking items are in the trash.
I should have posted this on the whats for dinner thread!